PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 1992 RB42 Advice

krisoder
17th December 2014, 04:57 PM
I apologise if I've broken any rules creating this thread, I will remove it if I have. Just looking for a little advice.

I just got rid of my 2001 Ford Exploder - mechanically A1 and a steal at 130k KM's for $5k but nevertheless I'm after something a bit rougher. I was specifically looking for a 4.2lt diesel GQ, but came across what I'm thinking is a steal - A 1992 GQ patrol RB42, 1 owner, 120000 KMS on the clock (not clocked over) :) Manual - comes with RWC and a years Reg. It's an old bloke who's owned it since new, now looking to sell it to me for $5k

Outside of the fact that it seems like good value, is there anything I should specifically look out for when going to test drive this thing? I'm new to Patrols and not too mechanically minded. Thanks!

BigRAWesty
17th December 2014, 05:34 PM
No such thing as an rb42.
It'll be a td42 - 4.2 diesel, and tb42 - 4.2 petrol, rb30 - 3ltr petrol.

Any link to the sale

krisoder
17th December 2014, 05:46 PM
Sorry, it's a private sale. Someone I know through someone and so on. Sorry, must have gotten the model wrong. It's definitely a 4.2 petrol, no gas even been in it.

BigRAWesty
17th December 2014, 06:04 PM
Well 120k on the clock is very low.
But 5g is definitely no steal. It's priced right imo.
4g would be a great buy. And then 1g worth of accessories lol.
Any pics?
The biggest thing is rust in these things.
Under front windows, rear sliding windows, gutters and across the top of rear doors are the main areas so have a good look.

krisoder
17th December 2014, 06:16 PM
No pics sorry, will post some on Friday night when I go drive it. I have seen it before though and the owner seared not an ownce of rust on her. Always been garaged. 100% clean white. Interior is immaculate. Cosmeticly it's 100%, just mechanical I'm worried about. I know it comes with an RWC and rego but some mechanical things aren't part of the RWC. Like transmission, copped it when I bought my Explorer. 2 months after I got it blew up, $3k later for a rebuild....

krisoder
17th December 2014, 06:19 PM
Most of the ones I found online were more than 250000 kms, no roadworthy, no rego, little bit of rust and required a few fixes. They were all around $6-$8k mostly the 2.8 diesel, hard to find a good low km 4.2 diesel.

BigRAWesty
17th December 2014, 06:23 PM
Most of the ones I found online were more than 250000 kms, no roadworthy, no rego, little bit of rust and required a few fixes. They were all around $6-$8k mostly the 2.8 diesel, hard to find a good low km 4.2 diesel.

Yea diesel fetch that sort dollar. Petrol is usually less.

All the 4.2 range run the same drive line. Some differences in gear ratios.
So yea. As long as it's been serviced properly I'd say buy with confidence

krisoder
17th December 2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks heaps for the advice! Someone told me the 4.2 diesel is the only one in the range to have some sort of heavy duty transmission. Don't know how much truth to that there is though.

You seem to know your stuff too, so one more question if that's ok? I'm buying it with the intention of doing some work on it. Actually a 2 part question, I wanted a 3 inch lift with 33's but I'm under the impression 2 inches is the max legal in Victoria. Don't really want any problems with the law and I see enough people with a lot more lift than that driving around. Outside of a n engineering certificate, is it legal/ way around it?

And, people told me with. Lift like that to be mindful of other things that need changing so things don't break. Things like dropping the transmission down, extending break limes ect... Is it true and is there a list of things I should change so things don't go to hell on me?

BigRAWesty
17th December 2014, 06:54 PM
I'm SA myself so Nfi..
Plenty of Vic's here so hopefully someone can confirm that or not. I know most of them do run 3" and 33's as standard..

But yes the work required from a 2" to 3" lift is quite large.
A 2" lift is simply springs and shocks and the stock suspension can handle the extra.
A 3" lift you will need caster correction (either radius caster correction bushes, drop boxes or manufactured arms), extended brake lines and breathers, either adjustable or extended arms for the rear, drag link (steering rod), and most do the panhard rods but I've been told the stock is ok. Personal choice that one I guess.

So yes for the 1" more it requires a lot more cash.

AB
17th December 2014, 07:09 PM
No, a 3" lift with 33's is illegal in Victoria, probably illegal in most states now.

Stick with a 2" lift and 33's with minimal work needed to be done for the lift and still legal.

You can also keep your rear sway bar release if fitted too for the win!

BigRAWesty
17th December 2014, 07:38 PM
No, a 3" lift with 33's is illegal in Victoria, probably illegal in most states now.

Stick with a 2" lift and 33's with minimal work needed to be done for the lift and still legal.

You can also keep your rear sway bar release if fitted too for the win!

That many of ya running 3 I thought is was legal.

Clunk
17th December 2014, 08:13 PM
I'd say 5k for a TB42 with a low 120k on it is a pretty good price, specially if it comes with RWC and rego........ they are thirsty buggers though, so be prepared for a rise in fuel usage but in saying that we don't buy these things because they like to sip fuel. I've got a 94 auto with 220k on it, bloody love it. Get appox 20lt/100km, some get better, some get worse. But not having a gas system on it is a good thing in my book, some will argue otherwise but that's my opinion.

You may or may not get steering wheel wobble when you hit about 80kph, tis a very common thing which can be caused by a myriad of things, all to do with the front end steering bits n pieces but if you do a search on it, you'll be able to find out.

Have a good look at the service history and if it's been well maintained you shouldn't have any worries, the TB42's are a good strong motor ................... happy wheeling mate

krisoder
18th December 2014, 08:28 AM

Yeah I see heaps and heaps of people with 3" so I thought it was ok before I did a bit of research and I can't imagine they've all got the engineering certificate... Isn't 2" lift with 33s cutting it a bit short? Can you do it? Seems like it'd rub or scrape, especially if you load up the back.

krisoder
18th December 2014, 08:32 AM
I'd say 5k for a TB42 with a low 120k on it is a pretty good price, specially if it comes with RWC and rego........ they are thirsty buggers though, so be prepared for a rise in fuel usage but in saying that we don't buy these things because they like to sip fuel. I've got a 94 auto with 220k on it, bloody love it. Get appox 20lt/100km, some get better, some get worse. But not having a gas system on it is a good thing in my book, some will argue otherwise but that's my opinion.

You may or may not get steering wheel wobble when you hit about 80kph, tis a very common thing which can be caused by a myriad of things, all to do with the front end steering bits n pieces but if you do a search on it, you'll be able to find out.

Have a good look at the service history and if it's been well maintained you shouldn't have any worries, the TB42's are a good strong motor ................... happy wheeling mate

Yeah it's going to be my weekend car anyway, not concerned about the petrol really. I like the fact that there's no gas too, I did a bit of research and (don't know how much truth there is to it) but found that petrol / gas are prone to do their heads. Some people say the petrol model in general are prone but others have said the gas just makes is worse. Don't think I'll put gas in her, I have a tiny little corolla to drive to and from work every day ...

rusty_nail
18th December 2014, 08:33 AM

dont believe everything you read on the internet kallen, do some research before you put fingers to keyboard and maybe youll stop looking silly for being proven wrong so often =D

BigRAWesty
18th December 2014, 08:36 AM
A 2" lift and 33x12.5's an a stock 15x8 rim I think does scrub a little.
I run 33x10.5's with no issue on the 15x7 rim.
If your buying new rims just get a wider offset, not -44 as that wide tends to magnify any wobbles or issues in the steering setup, but -22 is a good common offset and gives a wider track.

krisoder
18th December 2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks guy's, think I'm all set to go and buy this thing now. Will post some photos of her on Friday night. May have some modification questions later down the track :) will try and look through the search bar first.

Drewboyaus
18th December 2014, 08:52 AM
Yeah I see heaps and heaps of people with 3" so I thought it was ok before I did a bit of research and I can't imagine they've all got the engineering certificate... Isn't 2" lift with 33s cutting it a bit short? Can you do it? Seems like it'd rub or scrape, especially if you load up the back.

2inch lift with 33inch tyres will get you to 99%of places you'll probably want to go to start with. Add a diff-lock or two down the track and you'll be well sorted.
Clearance shouldn't be too much of an issue, learn how to put your wheels in the right spot and you'll be right as rain. The difference in cost between a 2 inch and 3 inch lift will be significant and value for money, 2 inch for the win. I run a 2 inch lift in mine and still find plenty of high country tracks to challenge my resolve...LOL
As far as the TB42 goes, pretty bulletproof mate, gearbox, transfer case, engine, driveline all built like a battleship. Shedloads more power than the standard diesel too mate but fuel economy is poor......built during a time when we were paying 50c a litre for fuel.
To be honest, rust is probably your greatest worry with a GQ, as clunk said steering wobbles maybe but at 120K should be fine. Check compression for engine health look at all the fluids to get an idea of maintenance and it sounds like a good buy. I'd look at bargaining a bit if it's carby rather than EFI as the EFI version is a bit more reliable to own ....
Grandpa spec is always a good starting point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

krisoder
18th December 2014, 12:05 PM
Didn't think of that, thanks for the info on the tyres. Didn't want them to rub is all.

Out of curiosity, got this quote from ARB for the 2-inch lift.

Springs + shocks + steering dampener + gearbox spacer + wheel alignment + fitting $2100

Sound ok? I don't know, I actually thought it'd be around $1500 - my uncle just got the same thing done to his Disco 2 for around $1600 from them. They're charging a bit more for the Patrols, all Old Man Emu gear.

the evil twin
18th December 2014, 12:41 PM
Sorry, it's a private sale. Someone I know through someone and so on. Sorry, must have gotten the model wrong. It's definitely a 4.2 petrol, no gas even been in it.

If it is a TB42EFI and not a Carby then that is a pretty good deal.
If it is a Carby I would pass... the EFI is just a better set up.

EFI engine also means it will be a series 2 and the Tranny programming is different and much better than the series 1 if it is an Auto

The Auto Tranny is a tough as nails, my old one has well over 500,000 K's now and refuses to die.
Prev owner pulled a double horse float with it for 200 odd, I put similar K's on it in very harsh conditions and new owner is still giving it heaps.

Depends on budget and purpose but if you want a nice looking rig that you aren't going to do a lot of bush pinstripes or gnarly rock work with then it may be exactly what you want.
A TD42 Diesel at anywhere near that price will be a POS
I wouldn't grab a 3 litre Petrol unless I wanted to trick it up with Skyline gear.
A 2.8 litre Diesel may pop up but they are a, how can I say it, individuals choice... people either love them or hate them.

I'd stay with a 2 inch lift... much simpler and cheaper to accomplish.
It will be an extremely rare event for a 3 inch lift to go where a 2 inch cannot

krisoder
18th December 2014, 12:52 PM
Hi Evil - it's a manual 4.2 Petrol EFI (never been on Gas), yeah the general consensus has been it's a decent buy so far :) feeling comfortable at the moment. Will give it a bit of a thrashing tomorrow night.

krisoder
18th December 2014, 12:56 PM
Got him to send me a photo

the evil twin
18th December 2014, 12:59 PM
Hi Evil - it's a manual 4.2 Petrol EFI (never been on Gas), yeah the general consensus has been it's a decent buy so far :) feeling comfortable at the moment. Will give it a bit of a thrashing tomorrow night.

Sweet... those are Ti Mags... does it have leather seats/factory diff lock/sway bar disconnect or combo thereof?

Oddly enough it doesn't have cornering lamps in the guards which is another thing for the Series 2 so check the year and model

Mine was an '94 Auto Rx on Gas but definitely one of the best value 4X's I've had.
Other than normal consumables... mine never missed a beat the whole time I had it, prev owner said the same and current owner hasn't had any hassles either.

2 Inch lift, 33 tyres, front diff lock and off you go

krisoder
18th December 2014, 01:02 PM
Haha the lift and the wheels are the first thing i'll do to her - then the diff lock. There does seem to be a bit of for and against whether to get the diff locker on the front or the rear - I'm thinking both eventually, but one at a time I suppose.

the evil twin
18th December 2014, 01:05 PM
Haha the lift and the wheels are the first thing i'll do to her - then the diff lock. There does seem to be a bit of for and against whether to get the diff locker on the front or the rear - I'm thinking both eventually, but one at a time I suppose.

Should be either factory diff lock or LSD rear... you only need to add a front locker and then only if you do a lot of sand or gnarly stuff.

Double check the year and model designation tho... I would have said it was series 1 from the front guards (no cornering lamps) but not sure if the DX had them

BigRAWesty
18th December 2014, 03:11 PM
Didn't think of that, thanks for the info on the tyres. Didn't want them to rub is all.

Out of curiosity, got this quote from ARB for the 2-inch lift.

Springs + shocks + steering dampener + gearbox spacer + wheel alignment + fitting $2100

Sound ok? I don't know, I actually thought it'd be around $1500 - my uncle just got the same thing done to his Disco 2 for around $1600 from them. They're charging a bit more for the Patrols, all Old Man Emu gear.

Tell them shove it lol.
Springs and shocks are easy to fit and require some basic spanners, and a jack lol..
Very do-able in the driveway.
And the 2" lift will only need springs and shocks.
The gearbox spacers ain't needed..
Alignment also is optional.
The steering wheel will be slightly off centre when straight but that's an easy fix by removing the wheel an rotating it back straight.
And unless your steering dampener is shot it'll be ok.

krisoder
18th December 2014, 03:43 PM
Tell them shove it lol.
Springs and shocks are easy to fit and require some basic spanners, and a jack lol..
Very do-able in the driveway.
And the 2" lift will only need springs and shocks.
The gearbox spacers ain't needed..
Alignment also is optional.
The steering wheel will be slightly off centre when straight but that's an easy fix by removing the wheel an rotating it back straight.
And unless your steering dampener is shot it'll be ok.

Haha, I thought about attempting it myself. To say "I'm no mechanic", would be a massive understatement though. My cousins boyfriend can do it, turned his Hilux into an absolute beast himself. I kind of don't want to go and buy the kit off ebay though, people tell me bad stories... Things not fitting right ect... And I would like to replace the dampener too, can that be done at home?

Parksy
18th December 2014, 03:57 PM
Yes 2 nuts and its off. Dead easy. As is fitting a lift kit. There are millions of YouTube videos that explain a lot of this. Worth having a look.

Drewboyaus
18th December 2014, 04:05 PM
Tell them shove it lol. Springs and shocks are easy to fit and require some basic spanners, and a jack lol.. Very do-able in the driveway. And the 2" lift will only need springs and shocks. The gearbox spacers ain't needed.. Alignment also is optional. The steering wheel will be slightly off centre when straight but that's an easy fix by removing the wheel an rotating it back straight. And unless your steering dampener is shot it'll be ok.

Yeah, nah. You should do the alignment and check the castor angle too because some 2 inch lifts will require castor correction. This can be done when you do tyres. I would also do the steering damper. As far as the steering wheel goes, it will be off centre a little (mine is too) but I didn't bother changing it because I had always intended to add an adjustable drag link which will fix that (I now have one I need to install).
Gearbox spacers, meh...I wouldn't bother.
The price sounds high-ish but includes labour too I suppose.
My feeling is they have just quoted you list and I would go and get a price for an equivalent Tough Dog kit and maybe TJM or Ironman and use that as leverage to get them to drop their price.
And Westy is right in saying it's not a hard job, in fact if you want a reference I think the latest issue of 4wd Action has a write up on how to do the install of a 2 inch kit.

Parksy
18th December 2014, 04:08 PM
Try to avoid removing the steering wheel to correct an uneven position, because then you lose the actual centre position of the steering box. When you hold the steering wheel left or right, or anything that's not centre, the power steering pump and box are actually working(pumping fluid).

Like Drew said, an adjustable drag link is the best method to correct this.

Drewboyaus
18th December 2014, 04:10 PM
Oh, and I have a 2inch GU OME lift in my GQ and it's excellent for my all round touring and high country driving. A couple of the boys were also running OME on the Simmo Trip earlier this year and were very impressed at how the setup handles the extreme conditions on that trip.

93patrol
18th December 2014, 05:18 PM
If you buy from an Aussie 4wd shop off ebay they fit fine.

I put a Blupac stuff I. My old ute and worked out really good. Only cost about $600

BigRAWesty
18th December 2014, 05:41 PM
Oh, and I have a 2inch GU OME lift in my GQ and it's excellent for my all round touring and high country driving. A couple of the boys were also running OME on the Simmo Trip earlier this year and were very impressed at how the setup handles the extreme conditions on that trip.

I'm very happy with my ome kit apart from being rated to high. But when loaded it's awesome. And now I have winch it's better again.

Yes I agree with the adjustable drag link.
Why not upgrade.
And yea, it's best to go wheel alignment but not critical. Same with castor correction.

growler2058
18th December 2014, 05:51 PM
Dobinson coils and springs off ebay $900 or under easy install mate

krisoder
19th December 2014, 03:38 PM
OK - update... The dude backed out, his wife was kaining him while I was on the phone with him saying "don't sell the bloody car"... Nevertheless, I offered him more money and he still turned it down.
So, I found a very very clean 1990 GQ Petrol 4.2, Manual 240,000KMS $5,500 with RWC, new Bridgestone Dueller A/T Tyres, Rego paid until November 2015 and full service records. Paints clean, no rust anywhere, she's in good shape.

What do you guy's think about 250,000 KMS, I know it's a lot higher than the other one, but the other one seemed like a freak! can't find any with low KM's like that.

the evil twin
19th December 2014, 03:53 PM
I bought my TB42Efi with over 200 K on it and sold it with over 400.
250 is not a lot of K's really esp if you are doing the suspension, bushes, steering damper etc

Otherwise my original comments stand.

If buying a Petrol jobbie I would pass on a Carby and wait for a decent Efi.

krisoder
19th December 2014, 04:04 PM
Yeah it's an EFI - since you told me that I've been avoiding them.
Newbie is this one52877

the evil twin
19th December 2014, 04:09 PM
Uuuuummmmm... TB42 Efi didn't come out until 1992 so it can't be a '90 unless it has had an engine change

Clunk
19th December 2014, 04:18 PM
Uuuuummmmm... TB42 Efi didn't come out until 1992 so it can't be a '90 unless it has had an engine change

Or an efi conversion ;)

krisoder
19th December 2014, 04:46 PM
Maybe it is the Carby model :( seemed like a good deal to me, no good? I know it might be a little thirsty...

Clunk
19th December 2014, 05:10 PM
Maybe it is the Carby model :( seemed like a good deal to me, no good? I know it might be a little thirsty...

Got a pic of the engine bay? Or a link to the ad with pics?

krisoder
19th December 2014, 05:17 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/springvale/cars-vans-utes/nissan-patrol-7-seater-dual-fuel-with-tow-bar-and-bull-bar/1065274592

Link here. What do you guys think?

the evil twin
19th December 2014, 05:26 PM

It could be Efi there are more than a few that were changed by owners over the years.

The Efi came out in the series 2 so there are some other tweaks and advantages as well.
I didn't have to tune mine the whole time I had it for example.
Changed the plugs once and that was it.
The carby boys always seem to be arrsing around with the ignition system.

You get a taddy bit more power and torque and the power band is better from the Efi, so is fuel economy but fuel economy and GQ Patrol are diametrically opposed concepts

Clunk
19th December 2014, 05:29 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/springvale/cars-vans-utes/nissan-patrol-7-seater-dual-fuel-with-tow-bar-and-bull-bar/1065274592

stock as a rock carby with gas, looks tidy enough in the pics. I'm personally not a fan of gas.... too much fiddling around with trying to get it set up right on each fuel. Also think they're asking a little bit too much.

the evil twin
19th December 2014, 05:33 PM

Thats a Carby... see the manifold, carby and air filter on the drivers side.

IMHO you can do better, maybe something like these ones (I assume you are in Vic).
Just be patient, good ones crop up every day and be prepared to travel to maybe SA or Lower NSW depends where you are

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/montmorency/cars-vans-utes/1992-nissan-patrol-wagon-super-cheap-was-8500-now-only-5500/1061325300

or

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lalor/cars-vans-utes/1996-gq-nissan-patrol-ti-4x4-gas-petrol-dual-fuel-wagon/1064764497

krisoder
19th December 2014, 06:14 PM
The first link is the one I was going to buy actually, he listed it apparently. Actually now for sale... Unfortunately, because it's a find. The second link I saw today but wrote it off because of the KMS and auto. I was after manual. Am I being too picky though?

krisoder
20th December 2014, 07:38 AM
Just test drove that carby one. Bloody pig, couldn't get out of there fast enough... Not worth the money.

taslucas
20th December 2014, 08:08 AM
The second link I saw today but wrote it off because of the KMS and auto. I was after manual. Am I being too picky though?

What type of driving would you like to do?
There's pros and cons for everything. I think you mentioned you just want it as a weekend play toy? Would you be more into touring or harder stuff? Day trips, or camping out of? Tough play toy or family comfort?

krisoder
20th December 2014, 10:06 AM
Like 70% rough stuff 30% touring. I want her to drive ok, but understand it'll be rough as guts because I'm looking to get into a lot more rough 4WD'ing this one was terrible though. Gears were soo soo rough to change and one of the rear Windows was rusted pretty bad. We drive from VIC to Cobar and Bourke a few times a year for hunting, so a pretty long uncomfortable drive there :) but I want to do more day trips.

the evil twin
20th December 2014, 10:55 AM
Like 70% rough stuff 30% touring. I want her to drive ok, but understand it'll be rough as guts because I'm looking to get into a lot more rough 4WD'ing this one was terrible though. Gears were soo soo rough to change and one of the rear Windows was rusted pretty bad. We drive from VIC to Cobar and Bourke a few times a year for hunting, so a pretty long uncomfortable drive there :) but I want to do more day trips.

You didn't mention a lot of that prev.

If you are doing 70% rough stuff then body condition etc should be low on the list.
No point spending the cash on an immaculate car and taking it into rough work 70% of the time.
I'ds spend the money to get a truck with honest dings and a bit of pinstriping that is already partially set up.
Having said that you do need to look closely for rust and rear windows is one of the prime spots on the GQ's.

Carby's go almost as well as EFI when they are on song but go off tune much more easily.
Don't expect a hell of a lot of oomph from a GQ no matter what engine (stock) is in it.
It's the old story... How fast you want to go is directly proportional to how much money you spend and GQ's don't go fast out of the box.

If you are doing that much rough stuff and pigging out that way I'd be trying to find a Diesel.
You'll save the extra bucks in fuel and find the extra range from onboard tankage very handy I reckon.
The EFI can get very thirsty in the bush and the Carby can drink like a Wharfie.
That is one of the main reasons I sold my petrol, the hassle of keeping fuel up to it in outback WA was a pain.

I then bought a heavily worked TD42 GQ with aftermarket Turbo that went gangbusters with a 4 inch lift and 35's.
Awesome off road, scary MoFo on the bitumen.
Sold that for a very nicely set up CRD which was a terrific tourer and not bad in the gnarly stuff and now have a GU extra cab with the Chev in it.

IMHO if you are talking stock engine or lightly modified in the terms of a GQ doing significant work the TD42 is a no brainer for the Aussie Bush and Outback.
The drive train is near enough the same on all engine options anyway and if the diffs and transfer haven't been drowned or abused are recognised as the best you can get so will last as long as the pyramids.

Apology for the long post.
Just trying to highlight that it will be important to get something that suits from the get go rather than always thinking "This is an awesome truck, I only wish it had a ....... (manual, auto, EFI, Diesel, sunroof, jacuzzi or whatever).