PDA

View Full Version : Any builders? - I need some advice re gas gun

Cuppa
17th December 2014, 04:56 PM
In the not to distant future I’ll be making a start on building our ‘granny flat’ inside our new shed. This will mainly be a timber stud construction. In the past I’ve always weilded a hammer, but these days, for any more than half a dozen or so nails I end up suffering a lot of pain in my wrists & elbows. Sooooo I’m thinking about buying a framing gun, preferably a gas type so I don’t have an air hose getting in my way. I have used one when building a friend’s verandah, he hired it. I’m thinking that it is probably cheaper to buy & then re-sell than it is to hire, & it means I can work at my own pace rather than that dictated by the hire period.

Can anyone advise me if there is anything particular to look for in terms of getting a reliable tool. I’m currently considering a Paslode one which is just over two years old & ‘shot’ less than two boxes of nails all up. It looks clean & the seller (a retired bloke) tells me it has recently been serviced. He’s asking $350. I’m thinking I could do my job & then probably sell it again for similar money, sound do-able? It’s model no. B20540 which I *think* has NiCad batteries (& has now been superceded by a model with Lithium ion batteries).

Ta.

93patrol
17th December 2014, 05:09 PM
They are a good fun the only thing is the rubber seals in the piston can wear if not used very often. If you can find out how recent it was rebuilt like less than 6 months I would grab it.

They are easy to pull down and rebuild if you follow the instruction properly. You can download the manuals (haha) and if you are using any treated pine use galv nails. Now these will be about $80 to $100 a box of 3000 make sure you get the correct ones. Or just paslode boxes the gas in them. Alternatively if you have a compressor and a short hose you can pick up cheap pneumatic guns brand new and cheaper second hand.

93patrol
17th December 2014, 05:10 PM
Plain nails are $15 to 30 a box without the gas btw

BigRAWesty
17th December 2014, 05:30 PM
Pasload mate. Imo leaders in this sorta equipment.
Buy once and have a hassle free life.
Each box of nails comes with a gas canister.
Batteries last out a few good days work so the 2 I'm the kit will be ample..

93patrol
17th December 2014, 05:32 PM
Generally 1 battery lasts between 800 to 1000 nails

Covo71
18th December 2014, 07:45 AM
Paslode are good, Makita make the same thing and take the Paslode canisters. New generation like Dewalt are good, lithium batt and no gas. Over time it works out cheaper but for what you are doing it will be more expensive. Be careful of the nicad batteries. If they are old they may not have much in them and what you save now may cost you more later to buy new batteries. They have to be charged correctly as they hold a memory for charge. Ideally get them down to nearly dead then charge. Nicad are a pain. Senco are considered the ducks guts but you will pay for them. Good luck.

jack
18th December 2014, 08:36 AM
Go Paslode Cuppa, son has been using them for 15 years and swears by them. He's a got a big crew and they treat them pretty rough (read dropping of roof), easy to service and nails are cheap. Does the one you're looking at include a charger?

krbrooking
18th December 2014, 08:42 AM
For the framing, I would suggest the paslode. How will you be fixing the timber/frames to the concrete as I think there is a type that is able to shoot both into concrete and the pine frame, you just have to buy the different nails. As this will save even more time and effort, it might cost a bit more but you will be able to get more on resell. I could be wrong in assuming this though and apologise for the bum stear. Have you thought of buying the generic "cheap" ones and just keeping it for any future builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Cuppa
18th December 2014, 11:05 AM
Yep, includes a charger + 2 batteries. It’s on ebay & someone else has now put in a bid (Grrrr). I’m watching & waiting. KR or anyone, if you can, have a look at the ebay ad & see if you can tell me if it will do the concrete nails (from the model no?). http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321618996974?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 (crappy pics tho). And no bidding! ;)

I could also end up getting a cheapie (like this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371216096302?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ) to keep, but if I did it would have to be Paslode nail & gas compatible, just so I knew I could get them easily.

They all seem pretty expensive compared to a hammer but I think my elbow will thank me if I get one.

Shed slab is getting poured tomorrow. :)

93patrol
18th December 2014, 11:38 AM
That cheapie is a paslode knock off it will be heavier than the real deal but still usable

93patrol
18th December 2014, 11:42 AM
Also you would be better to dynabolt the frames down with a hammer drill and Dynabolts or mungoes.

Mungoes are the plastic sheath that have the bolt inside them. They hold better than the average dynabolt. The concrete nails and nail guns are the explosive charge type and you will need a special license to use them. Awesome bit of gear but not what you need. (Although things could be different eastern states than over here in the west)

Cuppa
18th December 2014, 12:23 PM
Probably a dumb question but (& going off topic a bit) ........

......... seeings as how the stud frame is going to be inside the shed & attached to the steel uprights of the shed, is there really any need to secure the frame to the concrete at all. Wouldn’t it’s own weight be sufficient to hold it in place?

93patrol
18th December 2014, 01:53 PM
If you kick the bottom of the wall it will move even with it all enclosed just 1 bolt every 1.8 m is sufficient and on either side of the door frame if you are putting one in that wall frame.

krbrooking
18th December 2014, 05:02 PM
Ok was not aware of the license needed to use the concrete type.

Cuppa: I would at the very minimum use a poo load of liquid nails, but I would personally do as said above fix it in certain places.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

93patrol
18th December 2014, 05:21 PM
Bit off track sorry Cuppa

Yeah KR the explosive gun use a powdered charge so it puts almost in a firearms licence. But it called explosive tool licence I believe.

HuskyInAuz
18th December 2014, 06:30 PM
Plaslode ... 'nuff said.
Easy to work on, I've put thousands of nails threw mine and a couple batteries with little problems. After awhile there could be an issue with safety switch which is easy. They are easy to clean, lube and trouble shoot...

Epoxy or Dynabolt the sole plate to concrete if required.

PM me if you have any issues or questions..

Scott