PDA

View Full Version : Winch Solenoids, which one?

sooty_10
17th December 2014, 10:29 AM
So I believe I have a dud warn solenoid, they have done me well for the years they have been sitting on the front of the bullbar but I believe it is time to upgrade to a newer style of solenoid.

So far the options I have looked at are the Gigglepin Albright solenoid from Smithi engineering at $181.50

Gigglepin-Albright-Super-Duty-Winch-Solenoid-12V

or the TG Thompson one from Roadrunner at $64.00

TG Thompson 500A Winch solenoid 12v - www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au

From the research I've done the Albright seems to the favourite with some people, but for almost three times the price than the TG Thompson is it actually worth it?

In my Google searches I found that the roadrunner ones may potentially actually be supplied by Tigerz11? Are there different quality Thompson style solenoids and ones I should be avoiding. Also I've read about a Tigerz11 Thompson solenoid spontaneously combusting and causing fire damage to a vehicle I personally don't like or want anything Tigerz11 on my car.

If money was no issue I would probably go the Albright, but just wanting to know peoples thoughts on the TG Thompson and if the current road runner ones are any good?

Is there any other suggestions on quality or style of winch solenoid?

I've also looked on ebay and as far as I can tell it is a mine field with all sorts of different styles and prices. I think I would prefer to at least buy from a shop that has a website or even local over a dodgy ebay one for the simple back up support etc

MudRunnerTD
17th December 2014, 11:00 AM
I ran a Titan for a long time and it did very very well. i have had one fail that was from a Supawinch and ripped out my well used Titan from my GQ and fitted it to the GU. I am going a full 24v Himount and have purchased an Allbright for it as the best of the best. i would not fit anything with any association to TigerZII.

There is a guy on FB that is selling the Allbright for $125 at the moment. otherwise give Phil Carr a call at the 4WD Shed in Bayswater and he will do you a good deal and send it to you. tell him you are form here and Darren sent you.

cgm
17th December 2014, 10:06 PM
After similar questions and answers in Kallen's winch thread the other day, I found the same prices and stalled.

I see he has it for $155 + postage, which looks like $12 = $167 on his public page. Might just go ahead and do that. Better make up my mind or Santa might have spent all the money ... Mine is still working at the moment, so maybe I should wait until the new year anyway.

MudRunnerTD
17th December 2014, 10:46 PM
If your oth chasing one give Phil a call at the 4WD Shed and see if he will do you a "Forum" price or a better price for buying 2. Tell him I sent you and he should look after you.

cgm
17th December 2014, 11:31 PM
Cool, I'll pm Sooty_10 my contact details and between us we can chase it up tomorrow.

Thanks Darren.

BillsGU
18th December 2014, 09:49 AM
I bought a Tigerz11 control box some years ago to replace my crappy warn solenoids. It came with the box (complete with solid state solenoids), all new battery cables (the main positive cable has an in line "twist" switch), new hand control lead, PLUS a complete wireless remote control set up. It even came with a wiring diagram to hook it up to a warn! The price when I bought it was $99 delivered but that was a few years ago. It has worked perfectly ever since.

jff45
18th December 2014, 10:05 AM
Here are a couple of pics I happen to have of a TG Thompson type solenoid being dismantled.

I don't see a lot in there that could contribute to spontaneous combustion..

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh207/JFF45/Miscellaneous%20stuff/IMG_4644_zps07508b43.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh207/JFF45/Miscellaneous%20stuff/IMG_4646_zps2db5045d.jpg

megatexture
18th December 2014, 10:10 AM
All it takes is a short and that housing can melt and catch fire. It may not even be the first place to catch fire but it may be where the short is

jff45
18th December 2014, 10:32 AM
Do you mean a short as in somebody wrongly connecting cables? Couldn't that apply to any solenoid in that case?

the evil twin
18th December 2014, 11:58 AM
If it is a WARN I usually bite the bullet (and the Visa card) and replace the factory solenoids and stick with the original setup.
WARN use twin solenoids to switch Field and Armature because it is less likely to cause uncommanded overruns but that is like, maybe, thousands to 1 of happening unless you get a cheapshit 4 point contactor.

Having said that... good quality 4 Point Contactors are very reliable as well.
Cheap POS ones aren't.

BillsGU
18th December 2014, 04:01 PM
The problem with my warn controller was that the field cable inside the solenoids would break from vibration. I opened a couple up and had a look. The solenoid is riveted so I had to drill out the rivets to get inside. It looked like the small cables inside were a bit short and had no stress relief to where they connected to the solder joint. I lengthened the cables a bit and put the thing back together but a couple of years later the crappy thing let me down again (at the worst possible moment - of course!).

Solid state is the way to go, IMHO.

MudRunnerTD
18th December 2014, 09:52 PM
I have never seen a Solid State Fail during a recovery, I have been stuck behind more than a couple of cars with a failed Warn Solenoid box though. Have taken the box apart at 4am to bridge out or swap a solenoid so we can get out of the bush. No Brainer for me, Solid State every time here.

cgm
19th December 2014, 08:13 PM
Work has been owning my life lately. Finally gave the 4WD Shed a quick call last thing this afternoon. He's out of stock, but will have them in early next week. Gave me the public price. :) (I mentioned Darren, but didn't push it)

His website price is still better than others I could see. Think I'll still do this when he has them back in stock.

MudRunnerTD
19th December 2014, 08:45 PM
Is he open next week mate? Did you mention the forum too? Tell him to at least match his online price but give him a nudge for 2 if you guys are buying together. Note you called him on BBQ day too lol. Give hima nudge and mention Darren from Geelong and the forum. I am nobody but have driven with him a cople of times and spent some cash with him. Keen for him to come on board as a Vendor too.

cgm
19th December 2014, 09:46 PM
Sooty_10 has bigger problems than he thought :) His solenoid pack is ok, but had issues with his brushes or similar. He's gonna sort that out first.

Phil said he was expecting stock today, but it didn't arrive so thinks he'll have it Monday, so seemed that he will be open. I'll touch base with on Monday and if there in, just order if through the website. Same price either way. His price was still reasonable, so I'm happy with that. Will be worth putting the effort into swapping it over. I've had the warn ones crack and die several times with my old truck. I carry a spare now, but would be easier just to swap it and not have any issues.

cgm
23rd December 2014, 06:29 PM
Still wasn't in, but reckon it will come tomorrow. I'm not in a hurry, as my winch is still working, but want to do it while I've got some momentum. So, thought I'd order it now anyway and it will turn up some time after Christmas.

Put a comment in the form that the forum sent me there. Hopefully they'll take it into account if thinking about a sponsorship.

cgm
26th January 2015, 04:46 PM
Finally got around to installing the Albright solenoid today. Barely fit in the box, but somehow squeezed the lid on. Could not be bothered with all the cable hassles to shift it somewhere else.

54328 54329