PDA

View Full Version : coolant coming out of exhaust

afatboy
14th December 2014, 12:09 PM
Okay, so I am losing coolant through my exhaust. Would this be a head issue or head gasket issue. Had head work done 20000 km 2 years ago. Any thoughts guys?

BillsGU
14th December 2014, 12:11 PM
Either way - the head has to come off.

afatboy
14th December 2014, 12:27 PM
Figured that, just hoping it's only the gasket. Hoping for a miracle at Christmas time I guess lol

BillsGU
14th December 2014, 12:33 PM
In that case - ho, ho, ho! No - Really - good luck. It may just be a gasket, but still a lot of work and you would still get the head tested and machined. It would be a waste of money otherwise.

BigRAWesty
14th December 2014, 01:11 PM
If it's still running ok I'd say gasket.
But fingers crossed mate

4bye4
14th December 2014, 01:29 PM
Mate, as a machinery mechanic, albeit small motors, I wouldn't change a head gasket without having the head at least skimmed. The cost in labour and time is in taking the head off and putting it back on again. Once you get that far its not too much extra to get it to a machinist and get it checked and planed. Might just stop it from doing the same thing again.

Stropp
15th December 2014, 01:26 AM
Gee mate that's not good news, sounds like the gasket but as 4bye says skim the head and crack test it.

sooty_10
15th December 2014, 09:20 AM
Do you have a water cooled turbo? Not sure what engine your running, but could it be possible that a seal has gone in the turbo and coolant is simply going out the back of the turbo down the dump and out?

Clunk
15th December 2014, 02:15 PM
Do you have a water cooled turbo? Not sure what engine your running, but could it be possible that a seal has gone in the turbo and coolant is simply going out the back of the turbo down the dump and out?

Nah mate, it's a tb42, can't remember if he's running gas as well though

afatboy
19th December 2014, 02:30 AM
So a quick update. Head has a crack over an inch long in number 5 pot. Chosen to go brand new head. Early Christmas present for me, I guess.

BillsGU
19th December 2014, 09:44 AM
So a quick update. Head has a crack over an inch long in number 5 pot. Chosen to go brand new head. Early Christmas present for me, I guess.

Sorry to hear - but at least you are on top of it now.

Stropp
19th December 2014, 10:49 AM

bugger thats not good mate, hope it ll comes together and no more dramas.