PDA

View Full Version : Sorry another question: how is the air regulator meant to work?

bobbrumby
13th December 2014, 10:18 PM
This thing:

When you put 12 volt on one terminals and ground the other is it meant to shut, i tried both ways? Mine does nothing, still reads 70 ohm tho, like it says on the black plug. Can you take them apart and clean? How do you adjust the 7mm screw, that shiny...ish one above the hose barb, something came up in a previous post but it was a bit vague. Cheers guys.

threedogs
14th December 2014, 08:59 AM
Is that an air flow meter?

jff45
14th December 2014, 09:09 AM
That could be for cold start. Looks similar to what they used on early BMW injections.
The idea is that it heats a bi-metal spring and slowly closes the air passage.
Leave it connected for a while and see what happens.

Edit: In fact, if you Google "BMW k-jetronic air regulator" and switch to Images, you'll see pics of exactly that item and some diagrams of how it works inside.

bobbrumby
14th December 2014, 12:48 PM
Is that an air flow meter?

Nope she a tb42e air regulator. Its open when cold and progressively closes once voltage is applied. If you want to clean it undo the four phillips first then take off black backing. Once you have made a mark to realign the disc to the housing you can loosen the 7mm nut to remove the internal assy. to clean. Mine had a bit of crap in it and after a oil the disc rotates more easily, I think it should come off this warm up 'circuit' quicker hopefully saving petrol.