PDA

View Full Version : The frame on y60 vs. y61!

Ilvesekesekene
9th December 2014, 06:43 AM
Hello!
I own an y60 from 1997 and since it needs some work with its frame Icame up with a question...
How different are the frames under y60(gq) and y61(y61)? At one point it seemed easier to me to buy a frame with is in more ore less good shape, transform it in more or less tip top shape and then make the swap.
Somehow i cant find any good information that tells me that can it be a go or not. So Iam hopeing you guys know better than me and can help me. Maybe someone has even done this swap allready.

Cheers: Janek

threedogs
9th December 2014, 08:46 AM
I would say they are completely different, different body mount positions different diff mounts just to name a few.
Y61 may even be a tad wider.

Ilvesekesekene
9th December 2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys, at least i`m sure now that it is a big no go :). It is easier for me to restore my own frame.

cheers...

BigRAWesty
9th December 2014, 07:52 PM
They both run the same suspension setup, the y61's run from memory a 25mm wider diff.
I'd have a guess that body mounts changed to suit the bigger body of the y61 so that possible leads to chassis tweaks.

But keep us posted

Ilvesekesekene
10th December 2014, 07:22 PM
ok, lets see what happens but if it needs the body mounts to be rebuilt then its probably easyer for me to weld my old frame. I was thinking on swaping because if the frame is allready rotten from one place then what can be going inside the frame. It can look good from outside but nobody knows what or who is living inside it :). And due to our climate here in Estonia the nissans body and frame tend to just melt away :).
Thats why I was thinking of a newer one because I am sure I can not find the original one witch would be in much better shape.

Cheers...

BigRAWesty
10th December 2014, 08:00 PM
Your stop on. Unfortunately I think you just have to give it a crack.

Ilvesekesekene
30th December 2014, 05:27 AM
Hello again!
About this frame swap of mine! Can enyone tell me since what year they canged leaf springs to coil springs. There is a bossibiliti that I can get a frame from 1991 patrol with 2,8 litre motor. How big are the differences between this one and my 1997 year 4,2 liter diesel patrol. I assume that some issues will be with the engine mounts but i am also not sure which springs the spare frame sits on. Mine has coils at least.
Anyway the frame i found is supposed to be in ok condition and I think its easyer to swap then rebuild.

Cheers: Janek

Winnie
30th December 2014, 06:29 AM
If it's a wagon it will have coils, a ute might have coils or leaves.

Ilvesekesekene
30th December 2014, 06:44 AM
Its a wagon, long version with 7 seats.

hz_350
30th December 2014, 09:40 AM
all the GQ wagons have the same chassis but the rd28 will need the drivers side engine mount cut off, when you pull the motor and the body from your current car its would easy to measure the engine mount cut it off and weld it onto the new chassis

threedogs
30th December 2014, 03:11 PM
You're going back to MQ I think for leaf spring