PDA

View Full Version : Think I've got a dud TB45

mjr350
7th December 2014, 08:23 PM
Everyone has asked me why the hell I bought a petrol GU patrol as the fuel consumption would be more than my previous 5.7l vy ute which sat around 15L / 100km on a bad day.
I decided to finally test it on friday and it came in at 11.9L / 100km and that was highway and backroad driving and included a steep long dirt driveway. Is the TB45 really as thirsty as people say. Its supposed to be from 20L / 100km to 25L / 100km.

Agronaught
7th December 2014, 08:28 PM
A lot depends on how many land cruisers are on the road...

Bigcol
7th December 2014, 08:35 PM
just depends on your driving style
my missus regularly gets 16l/100 in her V8 4wd - when I drive - I get around 22l/100

she drive more sedate than me...............

Parksy
7th December 2014, 09:05 PM
Yep definitely a dud. Don't get behind the wheel as you risk serious injury. Pass me the keys and I'll sort your issue for you.

Agronaught
7th December 2014, 09:21 PM
And for good sake don't let any bugger 'tune' it for you!

jff45
7th December 2014, 09:55 PM
That sounds a bit low to me. How did you do the calculation?
Is it a manual gearbox?

04OFF
7th December 2014, 09:57 PM
I think that will be better than Nissans claimed fuel consumption figures for a brand new one ?

mjr350
8th December 2014, 11:34 PM
That sounds a bit low to me. How did you do the calculation?
Is it a manual gearbox?
Yes manual.
First run was 92km for 11.something litres which came out at 11.9L / 100km and today I filled up again after 373.1km for 58.13 litres which comes in at 15.58L / 100km. The last figure had around 150km worth of highway driving at around 110 - 115 kmh, a lot of stop start Christmas light spotting last night and a few dirt roads for work this morning. Calculations were done both online and roughly on paper for the same result. You can double check if you like. Also speedo is spot on accurate with the gps since fitting new tyres.
I also try not to use anything other than 98 in it which is supposed to give better economy.

jff45
9th December 2014, 10:11 AM
IMO, 92 kms is a bit short to determine the average fuel consumption of a vehicle. Notice how your fuel figures start to become a bit more realistic when done over a greater distance.

As an aside, a lean running vehicle isn't necessarily a good thing..

mjr350
9th December 2014, 10:48 AM
IMO, 92 kms is a bit short to determine the average fuel consumption of a vehicle. Notice how your fuel figures start to become a bit more realistic when done over a greater distance.

As an aside, a lean running vehicle isn't necessarily a good thing..

Yea it was the best I could do at the time. In saying that, im still stoked with 16L/100km considering im not the slowest of drivers. I'll have to try for a purely highway figure one day.

Stropp
9th December 2014, 10:50 AM
easy way to check if its lean is pull the plugs and check the colour, a light to dark grey is ok but if there is little colour on the plug get it checked as it could be running lean.

Agronaught
9th December 2014, 04:07 PM
16/100 is a good result. I'm hopeful of getting close to that in my TB48 this weekend, the first long run without the trailer attached.

Gecko17
9th December 2014, 04:14 PM
Mate, I had a 98 Ser1 GU 4.5l and it wasn't too thirsty on fuel. I ran it on 91 unleaded and, uphills, it was a bit sluggish but was a great truck. The only concern for me with it was that a mate told me that parts were not that easy to come by and therefore expensive but I didn't seem to have an issue. I only had to replace a starter motor. Only reason I traded it in was to get what I have now...

mjr350
9th December 2014, 10:58 PM
Did a plug change around 2k ago and everything looked normal. Runs like a dream and all I've had to replace so far was a starter motor as well. Thanks for all the input fellas. Lately I've been toying at ideas to gain economy after all the bad reports but I don't think I'll go there now.

lhurley
9th December 2014, 11:28 PM
I wish I got 16/100 in my tb45. Day to day (mostly around town) I get 22/100.

What have you done to it to get such good ecconomy? Many folks would appreciate I few less dollars each fill up.

mjr350
9th December 2014, 11:51 PM
I wish I got 16/100 in my tb45. Day to day (mostly around town) I get 22/100.

What have you done to it to get such good ecconomy? Many folks would appreciate I few less dollars each fill up.

Stuffed if I know. Plugs, leads and new tyres plus a healthy diet of 98. Oh and ripped that stupid intake noise damper off.
On a side note, a lot of guys say that older vehicles don't benefit much from high octane fuel but I used to work in an engine reconditioning shop just out of year 12 and took that opportunity to tickle the heads on my old vt commodore since I could walk to work. All day every day I was striping, machining and rebuilding heads and my heads were the cleanest I had ever encountered purely because I ran nothing but 98 from the day I bought it. Not an ounce of carbon in the chambers and ports or on the valves. The valves in most heads I worked on needed a good dose of the wire wheel and the ports and chambers still needed a bead blasting after emerging from the acid tank. It might cost a little more for 98 but I've got first hand appreciation of just how good it cleans and keeps it clean.

BigRAWesty
10th December 2014, 10:32 AM
When your getting those sort of figures you don't mind paying the extra.

I must ask though. What's the usual highway speed?

Agronaught
10th December 2014, 10:36 AM
personally I've found the best performance keeping the engine within its rated powerband (rpms).

mjr350
10th December 2014, 10:40 AM
When your getting those sort of figures you don't mind paying the extra.

I must ask though. What's the usual highway speed?

There figures were from where I filled up on the highway at Taree to Central Coast so its mostly 110 with a few stupid 100 zones.

jff45
10th December 2014, 10:57 AM
My average with auto trans is a little over 18 but will easily climb up around 20 if predominantly in traffic. I have a wideband gauge fitted so I can see when I'm keeping it in closed loop.
I always use 95/98 because it does run better. I have Pacemakers with 2.5" Redback system.
I lock the TC manually above 80 or so..

I'm also 69 and drive accordingly :)