PDA

View Full Version : cheap brunswick v8 need advice quick!! :D

DilboBaggins
6th December 2014, 03:34 PM
Hey guys, i got a phone call from a mate of mine selling his gq leaf sprung 6.5 diesel fitted by brunswick. He got yellow stickered and is selling it for 2k!! But, its leaking from the rear main. My dad wants to put it in his 98 gu troll 4.5lt on lpg. Or he wants to fix it up and sell it with rego. What do you guys think of this engine? We too it for a spin and it starts fine, drives even better ;) cheers

MudRunnerTD
6th December 2014, 03:36 PM
Bargain!!! Next in line! Worth 5 x that for parts and conversion alone.

the evil twin
6th December 2014, 03:50 PM
Hey guys, i got a phone call from a mate of mine selling his gq leaf sprung 6.5 diesel fitted by brunswick. He got yellow stickered and is selling it for 2k!! But, its leaking from the rear main. My dad wants to put it in his 98 gu troll 4.5lt on lpg. Or he wants to fix it up and sell it with rego. What do you guys think of this engine? We too it for a spin and it starts fine, drives even better ;) cheers

Buy it... NOW

Sort out what you want to do with it later

Bigcol
6th December 2014, 04:09 PM
if you dont want it, let me know - cash waiting.................

DilboBaggins
6th December 2014, 04:40 PM
We are still thinking about it but what a great buy!! Thanks guys :)

DilboBaggins
6th December 2014, 11:48 PM
We ended up getting it :) goes really well. Just the usual death wobbles

nissannewby
7th December 2014, 12:47 AM
Rear main in a 6.5 is fun. Some models are a crank out job or at the least a main bearing removal.

DilboBaggins
7th December 2014, 01:34 AM
That does not sound fun at all! Im not looking forward to this :/

Gecko17
7th December 2014, 09:59 AM
Once it's sorted mate, you'll never look back. (well, only to see who you're leaving in your dust...)

Gecko17
7th December 2014, 10:02 AM
if you dont want it, let me know - cash waiting.................

Lucky he sold it Col... I'm looking for a race build up. :D

the evil twin
7th December 2014, 07:38 PM

I reckon you'd beat one over the first 2 or 3 hundred yards without much build up or even steroids, mate.

I'm thinking a P400 would be a nice Xmas pressie for my Brunnie Ute in a year or two.

Bigcol
7th December 2014, 07:48 PM

bugger you Bro..............
just the upgrade I need for my tourer

DilboBaggins
7th December 2014, 08:08 PM
Yea so we do have a fair abit of work ahead of us. Im putting a 5.9lt cummins in mine, and dads putting the 6.5 in his. This is going to be great!

nissannewby
7th December 2014, 08:12 PM
If you get the 5.9 working well don't let your old man get in it cos you will be taking the chev out to put a cummins in his too :).

nissannewby
7th December 2014, 08:14 PM
I reckon you'd beat one over the first 2 or 3 hundred yards without much build up or even steroids, mate.

I'm thinking a P400 would be a nice Xmas pressie for my Brunnie Ute in a year or two.

Why bother with that ancient tech just spend that little tiny but more and put the duramax in.

the evil twin
7th December 2014, 08:40 PM
Why bother with that ancient tech just spend that little tiny but more and put the duramax in.

P400 will drop straight in or as close to it as doesn't matter... plus ancient blokes live for ancient technology, it is all we understand:icon_bonk:

Ben-e-boy
7th December 2014, 08:55 PM

Ancient tech like the mechanically idirectly injected (and mighty) td42 for the win :D

Or the good old 5.9 cummins

DilboBaggins
14th December 2014, 01:38 PM
Hey guys, so i bought this rig for 2k, then found out it'll be a nightmare to try and get the gu registered with this engine in it as the 6.5 was older than the car we wanted to put it in, so i sold it the other day for 3.5k :)

threedogs
14th December 2014, 01:49 PM
Yeah OK Billy now whats the plan buy a GU with a Blown 3ltr in it
have a talk to the Guys at Reidies 4x4

threedogs
14th December 2014, 05:45 PM
Was just reading that those Cummins 5.9 weigh in at 440kgs way more than a 4.2
and they are 6"[150mm] longer as well, priced around $7k not to bad

the evil twin
14th December 2014, 07:30 PM
Hey guys, so i bought this rig for 2k, then found out it'll be a nightmare to try and get the gu registered with this engine in it as the 6.5 was older than the car we wanted to put it in, so i sold it the other day for 3.5k :)

Someone gave you duff gen.
There is no issue at all with putting a 6.5 in a '98 to '06 GU (IE up to the end of the TD42).
There are 100's and 100's of Chevy powered GU Patrols out there, probably 1,000's actually, mine is a '99 and Gecko's is an '06 and there is an '03 down the street from me.

Anyway, no loss as you picked up a nice little profit to put towards the Cummins

DilboBaggins
17th December 2014, 10:43 AM
Well we rang brunswick and they advised us itll be pointless? More along the lines of we arnt paying them so to speak. But i have seen a cummins in a gu patrol on the net, and it fits in there nicely. I cannot wait!!

DilboBaggins
17th December 2014, 11:59 AM
Was just reading that those Cummins 5.9 weigh in at 440kgs way more than a 4.2
and they are 6"[150mm] longer as well, priced around $7k not to bad

Ive put a deposit down on a cummins 5.9lt, he is selling it for 4k :) but ill need a different gearbox, custome made exhaust because it has to come up and over the engine finally getting down the other side. Ill also need a different radiator set up and different diff gears :D going to go 3.5 gears i think

threedogs
17th December 2014, 01:52 PM
Go see the big Yid at Aussie desert coolers [Noel] he'll sort your radiator out for you.
They are/were over preston way.
I think Casltemaine Rod shop sells adaptor plates to suit, if not speak to Dellows or Mark at Marks Adaptors.
You may need to shorten tail shafts move gear box etc as the 5.9 is 6" longer and thats heaps in a limited space.

the evil twin
17th December 2014, 02:17 PM
Niiiiiice

I'd consider putting an auto in it as well, made my Chevy a heap more pleasure to drive.

Won't hurt to swap a few PM's with Figjam either.
You will need to do a bit to the front end to sort out the stress of the extra weight

threedogs
17th December 2014, 02:21 PM
The GU box is not up to the job from what I've heard,
as ET says look into the front end as th 5.9 is way heavier than a 4.2 for eg

the evil twin
17th December 2014, 02:46 PM
The GU box is not up to the job from what I've heard,
as ET says look into the front end as th 5.9 is way heavier than a 4.2 for eg

Hiya TD
Yeah, the OP mentioned changing the box but didn't say to what...

I arseholed the GU 5 speed manual and put in a 4L85 because it bolts straight up to the Chev and Brunnies had a brand spanker crate 4L85 that was only $600 bucks dearer than a reco 4L80.

I'm not sure what would be ideal for the Cummins but an auto sure suits the Chevy

DilboBaggins
17th December 2014, 08:18 PM
I couldnt think of driving an auto, not really my thing. I was thinking of putting a bigger nissan box on the back of it like a td42 tb45 ect as they are all the same? Killa kustoms are getting adapters in January but ill see how much this bloke wants to charge me as he is making some too. As for the front end, id like to get it running first then sort out the problems with extra weight. Its all stock at the moment for engineering reasons... i have been reading heaps about the conversion but there is little about it. But i heard some bloke went through a couple of clutches and a few diffs with a cummins in his troll. Im not sure what else ill need, so far ive worked out a list.
so im going to need
-engine
-gearbox (possibly 18spd road ranger ;)
-radiator
-electric fans
-clutch/flywheel
-adaptors
-custom made 3'1/2 exhaust
-3.5 diff gears
thats all i can think of now, anything else that should be on my to do list please let me know :) cheers