PDA

View Full Version : GU 2.8 ran out of oil. What actions next?

P4trol
6th December 2014, 03:49 PM
The other day I noticed a small amount of oil coming from the oil turbo feed point at the engine. So I grabbed a spanner and tightened it. Unfortunately I may have spun the washer out of the way, letting oil out. Also unfortunately I didn't see the oil spurting out as I drove to work in the dark. Made it about 8kms along the highway.

So the first I knew was the engine sounding noisy, the oil light flashed on, then off, then on. As I pulled over, then engine cut out. After work I came back with some (non genuine, but fit well) copper washers and new oil. I drained the remaining oil, which smelled not too nice. After filling with oil, I started it. It idled OK, but slightly less smoothe.

Then, with support vehicle following I pointed it home. Upon raising the revs, a metallic sound was heard, which got louder with revs. EGTs were a fair bit higher than normal (450 degrees at 100km/h, normally sits about 370 degrees). It then cut out a few kms down the road. From there, a tilt tray, and I haven't attempted to turn the key and start.

What processes should I follow to accurately diagnose where the engine is at? Do I do a straight up rebuild? Do I check the valves for a sticky one? compression test? other? Start looking for a new patrol?

P4trol
6th December 2014, 05:44 PM
I just started it... Something there is a bit stiff siezed. It made a noise for 10 seconds, then quietened. Idling is normal sounding - just the tiniest bit rougher than it should be. Not going to try and drive though.

happygu
6th December 2014, 07:30 PM
Was there much oil left in the sump?

P4trol
6th December 2014, 07:50 PM
I reckon around 2L left at least. The oil light did come on though - eventually. The oil trail on the road ran out a long time before that. It smelled a bit burnt.

happygu
6th December 2014, 08:16 PM
Normally the oil light will come on before major damage, but your case i must admit, it doesnt sound great

happygu
6th December 2014, 08:18 PM
I would say turbo is shagged and the rest might be ok, as 2 litres in the sump should be enough to splash around the bearings and keep them lubricated

P4trol
6th December 2014, 10:14 PM
Awesome. Turbo replaced <3,000km ago.

So how do I go about assessing the damage?

happygu
6th December 2014, 10:30 PM
Cry for a bit, then get someone to start it whilst you listen to the Turbo by putting the pointy end of a large screwdriver on the Housing, and the handle end to your ear. Listen for whining, rumbling, or scaping noises ..... if you dont know what you are listening for, try it with someone elses good one too, or get someone qualified to listen

Mic

Dales300exc
7th December 2014, 05:38 PM
Just pull the intake off and have a feel of it.

Bigcol
7th December 2014, 06:38 PM
I would guess yes, the Turbo will be shagged,
if you have the old one still laying around, try putting that on, and see if the "roughness" has gone......... when idling

not good I am afraid, but I dont think the motor will be shagged to much, so that should be the least of your concerns for now........

Wine_maker
9th December 2014, 10:39 PM
What about oil pressure now?

It can be the crankshaft beraings.

P4trol
10th December 2014, 02:23 PM
I think (as opposed to actually tested with a guage) oil pressure is ok.

When starting there is an audible knocking sound, which quietens after a few seconds (presumably after oil gets to it. Idling is almost normal. As the revs are raised, the knocking sound re-appears for the duration.

Agronaught
10th December 2014, 02:44 PM
I would suspect a dead big end bearing, but others here have far more mechanical knowledge than this ex farm boy ;)

Wine_maker
10th December 2014, 03:17 PM
One of mine hydraulic lash adjusters is also knocking during the heating after start, espesially with rev.

P4trol
10th December 2014, 11:41 PM
I dont mean to sound all clueless... but where the hell do I find the hydraulic lash adjuster?

4bye4
11th December 2014, 12:16 AM
I dont mean to sound all clueless... but where the hell do I find the hydraulic lash adjuster?

Is that a lifter?