PDA

View Full Version : Battery Terminal / Factory Earth Question

Bacho86
6th December 2014, 12:23 PM
Hey all

I need to get a new negative battery terminal that will allow the connect of a few accessories, namely a winch start with - however it appears that the factory earth connection to the battery terminal is soldered in? Patrol is a 3.0L CRD GU6

I assume this is something I'll need to get an Auto Elec to fix up - or is there another way around this? And how much would something like this cost?

Cheers appreciate your help

Winnie
6th December 2014, 12:26 PM
Cut it and crimp a lug onto it

big_fletch
6th December 2014, 12:36 PM
I'm an auto sparky by trade, cut the old terminal off close too the terminal and go down your local auto sparky for a cable end ( also known as a battery lug).
I think the size you will need will be a 16-8 or a 25-8. You can just use a normal set of crimpers for them ( will be tight but do fit).
Otherwise remove the whole neg cable and you can hammer the lug flat onto the cable.
Bit of heat shrink and good as new

the evil twin
6th December 2014, 12:39 PM
What Winnie or Big Fletch said... just make sure you get an excellent crimp result by using hydraulic crimpers or soldering... GU's HATE earth issues
OR
Replace the factory -ve cable with one from Repco/Supercheap/etc that has a ring termination on both ends

Winnie
6th December 2014, 12:54 PM
I'm an auto sparky by trade, cut the old terminal off close too the terminal and go down your local auto sparky for a cable end ( also known as a battery lug).
I think the size you will need will be a 16-8 or a 25-8. You can just use a normal set of crimpers for them ( will be tight but do fit).
Otherwise remove the whole neg cable and you can hammer the lug flat onto the cable.
Bit of heat shrink and good as new

I would either use a proper set of crimpers (your local electrician or auto electrician will have them and probably do it for free) or if you use Fletch's method I would fill it with solder

Bacho86
6th December 2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the responses guys - unfortunately I don't have anything large enough to get a crimp it that I could guarantee a good results, so a trip off to the Auto Elec it'll be

Bacho86
6th December 2014, 01:08 PM
What Winnie or Big Fletch said... just make sure you get an excellent crimp result by using hydraulic crimpers or soldering... GU's HATE earth issues
OR
Replace the factory -ve cable with one from Repco/Supercheap/etc that has a ring termination on both ends

Thanks ET - I've seen those ready made cables before in Supercheap, just was never sure about the quality? Would it be as good as the factory ones?

lucus30
6th December 2014, 01:53 PM
Where do you live mate? You can come round and do it at my place with my crimper if it suits?
I live in Ferntree Gully

MudRunnerTD
6th December 2014, 02:25 PM
A pair of bolt cutters do a pretty good crimp too ;)

I am in Lara and could crimp it for you of mate. Or just take your cable to an auto elec and ask them to crimp a new end on it. Will be cheap and they will do it while you wait.

Th Supercheap or Repco earth straps will be fine mate.

Bacho86
6th December 2014, 03:25 PM
Where do you live mate? You can come round and do it at my place with my crimper if it suits?
I live in Ferntree Gully

Hey mate appreciate the offer, I live in Ferntree Gully too so that's nice and local!

I'll let you know how I go, but it wouldn't be until next weekend anyway if that suits you - flat out with family / Christmas stuff this weekend.

Bacho86
6th December 2014, 03:28 PM
A pair of bolt cutters do a pretty good crimp too ;)

I am in Lara and could crimp it for you of mate. Or just take your cable to an auto elec and ask them to crimp a new end on it. Will be cheap and they will do it while you wait.

Th Supercheap or Repco earth straps will be fine mate.

Thanks MR, appreciate the offer but sounds like lucus might be a bit closer! Cheers

lucus30
6th December 2014, 03:35 PM
Hey mate appreciate the offer, I live in Ferntree Gully too so that's nice and local!

I'll let you know how I go, but it wouldn't be until next weekend anyway if that suits you - flat out with family / Christmas stuff this weekend.

Yeah mate no worries at this stage I'm free most week nights next week and Saturday but not Sunday as I'm heading to the tallarook meet

Edit: don't need to bring a terminal either I got heaps also if it's easier seen as your a local I could pop past