PDA

View Full Version : [BUYING TIPS] Help a newbie, buying used '99 2.8 tdi Patrol

astrbac
6th December 2014, 07:53 AM
g'day all!

this is my first post so I apologize for not introducing myself in the proper place :) I will do that shortly. I am in a somewhat urgent situation as there is this 2.8 tdi for sale that I am very keen on so I'd hate to see it go. Tomorrow I will probably go take a look at it so I need some tips.

The car was made in 1999
2.8 turbodiesel engine
I don't know yet how many miles on it but I bet it's over 150.000, maybe even more
Few dents and dings
PRICE: about $6000 US

Since i never had or even drove such a car, what should I look for? My biggest concerns are (with respect to what could go wrong):

- shattered turbo
- injectors
- drive shaft
- differentials, axles, various balls and bearings breaking
- suspension and brakes?

Here is the car (it's in Croatian so I don't think you'll understand much but the "car stuff" you will definitely be able to figure out ;))

Nissan Patrol 2.8tdi in Croatia (http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/nissan-patrol-2.8-tdi-se-oglas-13670781)

Thank you SO much in advance!
Alex

MudRunnerTD
6th December 2014, 08:03 AM
Hi mate, yes head over to the intro section please and say g'day,

Looks like a tidy car.

The drive line of a Nissan Patrol is very strong and there should not really be much wrong with that, nothing you won't feel anyway.

The motor is strong and the late release in the GU are the pick of the bunch. Nissan discontinued this little 6 in favour of the ZD30 4 cylinder which was a big mistake.

They can be a little gutless but those that have them like them. You can tune them for best performance.

Good luck.

happygu
6th December 2014, 08:09 AM
Alex,

One of the major issues you can have with the 2.8, is the harmonic balancer gets loose on the shaft and the keyway flogs out. I am not sure if you can move or wiggle it, as it is under belt tension. Maybe loosen off the belt and check.

if it is hard to start when hot, that can indicate fuel pump wear, and hard to start cold could also indicate the harmonic balancer keyway is worn, and the balancer itself is turning on the crankshaft.

Head gaskets and issues seem to be common at around 200,000 klms

Mic