PDA

View Full Version : The never ending suspension question

beast_GU
4th December 2014, 11:30 PM
Gday Guys,

New around here, ill put up a post in the intro section.

Ive got a 2013 GU Auto, had it since new and have hit the 20k mark and suspension has sagged quite a bit so looking for 2-3" lifts but overwhelmed by
all the available info and brands.

I had a GQ for 7 years and had OME 2" with the super sports on it, and always thought it was ok but nothing flash, and was never happy with the lift height also.

From talking to blokes and looking on the net im thinking king springs with either bilstein or koni shocks?

Not really interested in adjustables as i wont adjust them.

Not too sure about remote resorvoir shocks, have heard some good things but a relative unknown to me.

Basically im after a nice ride, reasonable flex and dont want them too sag after 6 months.

Car is a 2013 GU auto CRD, arb winch bar, domin8r winch, snorkel and full length steel rack.

I have 4 small kids and me and the missus so not normally too much load.

I tow my boat which is a 20ft fraser fibreglass on a tandem trailer with a ball weight of around 150kgs. It currently causes the stock suspension to sag
about 15mm.

Cheers in advance guys.

BigRAWesty
5th December 2014, 06:57 AM
All depends on budget hey..
How deep are the pockets??

beast_GU
5th December 2014, 07:02 AM
im going to install myself, dont really have a set budget as i want to do it right the first time.

MEGOMONSTER
5th December 2014, 07:41 AM
im going to install myself, dont really have a set budget as i want to do it right the first time. Even if you get it right, there will always be situations of your suspension not right for the task. I've been struggling to make a decision, the right decision for me.

I could be wrong but won't adjustable a help fine tune your suspension, giving you a better chance of getting it right.
You may have to adjust 2 or 3 or even 4 time at the beginning, then just leave it

FNQGU
5th December 2014, 07:54 AM
Unless you plan on later fitting 35's, I wouldn't bother going over a 2" lift as it will start meaning lots more of your steering and suspension will need changing to match.

King Springs and Koni's or the Bilstein's is a good choice for general purpose.

The Koni 88's that I have fitted are quite soft without any adjustments and I recently adjusted them up just a tad for a little more firmness. They are brilliant on the corrugations and bush roads and give a nice plush ride around town.

kevin07
5th December 2014, 08:26 AM
me ill be doing mine sometime next year im going for 2" springs and 3" tough dog 45mm adjustable shocks that should look after me, my troll is mostly used as a tourer and towing but I also need to get places when I leave the van. kev

MudRunnerTD
5th December 2014, 08:30 AM
I have a 3" OME kit on my. GUIV which is the same as yours. I have drop boxes on the front love it, would not change a thing.

I have Thad this kit for 150,000 kms and it's been used and performed very well.

15mm of sag when loaded is not really that much to be honest mate.

Bigcol
5th December 2014, 08:34 AM
15mm of sag when loaded is not really that much to be honest mate.

if this is the main worry, when towing you boat

but airbags in the rear springs

you will be amazed

gaddy
5th December 2014, 12:02 PM
I've just bought kings , after a lot of research on what weights I needed I ended up emailing Kings , detailing the loads I carry and what it is to be used for , got a response same day with part numbers and suppliers close to me ,

beast_GU
6th December 2014, 07:50 AM
Cheers guys,

Has any one had any experience with the new ironman foam cell pros? looks the goods but cant find any info on the net.
Think im going king springs in a 2" just have to find the right part no's, and deciding on which shocks.

doka404
6th December 2014, 08:04 AM
My two cents..I have always found bilsteins to be an little harsenin then ride and have found konis to be much better. They seem to offer a firm ride but not harse.

The konis are adjustable, buts its really a wear adjustment so as they get old you can dial them up a bit more to compensate for age..if money is no object, then you can't go past the Koni 90 Raids..

beast_GU
6th December 2014, 09:40 PM
ive just seen a seller on ebay selling comfort konis, are these an option and the lengths are listed as 660mm?

Cheers