PDA

View Full Version : SS Flexi Coils Shock Recommendation

Rip'n'Shred
2nd December 2014, 09:48 PM
I've been searching various posts for quite a few months now looking for a shock that works well with Suspension Stuff Flexi coils in 3inch in a GU Wagon.

I fell victim to the mono tube shocks that I was recommended at the time just over 2 years ago. I have had them repaired under warranty more times than I care to remember and they have gotten worse everytime for handling. I nearly hate driving my patrol now because of this and am embarrassed any time someone else gets in it.

I've read lots on Tough Dogs, Ironman, Amada, Fox, Kings, Profender, Dobinson, etc but have no idea if they will work with these coils or if I'm better off replacing the coils too. Money ia an issue but I'm willing to spend good money on quality as I did 2 years ago, well at least I thought I was at the time.

The Patrol is set up for touring mostly and I drive it to work (highway) and about town a lot. I live in a rural area with mediocre roads. I am after something nice and comfortable on road, handle corogations well and handle higher speed type gravel and dirt. It weighs around 3 tonne everyday.

Any ideas guys??????

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2014, 09:52 PM
I did exactly the same setup on the GQ with SS gear in 5" and Hated it from day dot. Was terrible. Same goes the shocks where knackered in no time at all, the front bushes chopped out and after less then 3000kms I was looking for something else. SS replaced the shocks with their own brand shock at a Reduced cost but I was still out of pocket.

I have now stripped their coils out too and gone with Superiors brand coils and Amada Extreme remote res shocks and it transformed the car.

Strip the coils off and unload them on Facebook and start again, I reckon they are junk.

nissannewby
2nd December 2014, 10:04 PM
As above. Grab some superior coils and amada extreme shocks.

mudski
2nd December 2014, 11:37 PM
I have them in my GU and quite like them.

Rip'n'Shred
2nd December 2014, 11:54 PM
I have them in my GU and quite like them.

Are you meaning the SS flexicoils or the superior/amada idea above?

Clunk
3rd December 2014, 12:13 AM

I'd say he means the SS flexi coils

mudski
3rd December 2014, 08:37 AM

SS flexicoils. 3inch I have in a GUII. Also run 45mm Tough Dog Adjustables and find them good too. But I can only compare it to the old and very sagged OME 2inch lift that was in there. I was warned about the Flexi coils making the car boat like but I don't have that feeling at all in mine. I quite like the ride it gives. But thats just me, some will like it, some will not. If I spent the extra coin and went the superior/ amada route I would say I would still be a happy man. But I am happy now. It would be good to hop into a car the same as mine but with the superior/ amada suspension just to see the difference. I suspose it all depends on how you drive too. If your anything like mudrunner, like a bull at a gate, no wonder he smashed the shocker rubbers. Lol. Sorry Daz.
Big_Fletch has the 3inch flexi coils in his GU aswell and I do believe he likes his....

Drewboyaus
3rd December 2014, 10:47 AM
Reading the usage his vehicle is getting which seems to be more inclined towards touring and commuting with some off road work, I would imagine a more touring biased setup would be a better fit for purpose than flexi coils.
It all really depends on how much you want to spend......

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

big_fletch
3rd December 2014, 10:51 AM
Yes I have the flexi coils in 2" lift with procomp shocks (which are quite soft) and the ride is smooth as silk with great flex. I have the rear swaybar in as well and I don't find it handles like a boat at all, sits quite flat through corners.
My last patrol had a standard 3" lift with no swaybars and that was very bad for body roll through corners

Fletcha

Rip'n'Shred
3rd December 2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I guess the best way financially to sort it out is to go some shocks first then see if I like the coils. Just have to work out which ones and length. I think I have 4inch front and 6 inch rear shocks currently.

Yes I have the flexi coils in 2" lift with procomp shocks (which are quite soft)

Fletch, are they the remote res ones or the cheaper ones?

big_fletch
3rd December 2014, 03:34 PM
Nah mate mine arnt remote res just the standard ones, I am running 4" front and rear shocks currently

Fletcha

Drewboyaus
3rd December 2014, 07:54 PM
IMO don't fart around too much trying to get ultimate flex.....unless your going out to do BIG ruts and stuff (which it doesn't sound like you are) as you'll be throwing good money after bad and never be happy with the result based on how you mainly use the car.
Different shock lengths and all that stuff? You'd be better saving a bit extra for a locker or two and then you'll need almost no flex.....look at a locked Paj go....all wheels in the air but they do go.......LOL
Seriously though, try to keep it all as relatively simple as you can. It will be much more reliable as a long term touring type vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

mudski
3rd December 2014, 08:04 PM
Nah mate mine arnt remote res just the standard ones, I am running 4" front and rear shocks currently

Fletcha

Geez you'd be close to bottoming out those shocks on maximum compression wouldn't you?

What I did when I was shopping around and trying to decide on what brands etc was put each setup on an excel spreadsheet with all parts and prices and mixed and match and it was easier to make the decision.

If i were to do it again. I would have to think hard about the springs as I quite like them. But the shocks I would try something different.

big_fletch
3rd December 2014, 08:41 PM
Geez you'd be close to bottoming out those shocks on maximum compression wouldn't you?

What I did when I was shopping around and trying to decide on what brands etc was put each setup on an excel spreadsheet with all parts and prices and mixed and match and it was easier to make the decision.

If i were to do it again. I would have to think hard about the springs as I quite like them. But the shocks I would try something different.

They get close mate but I have extended the bump stops too suit. I am wrapped with my shocks, they give me a very smooth ride and soak up every bump I hit. I have had a few people comment on how well my shocks ride and I find them and my springs 10X better then my old Ridepro setup.

Fletcha

Ben-e-boy
3rd December 2014, 09:19 PM
If you are going to drive mainly at speed a decent set of remote reservoir shocks will see them last with much much less chance of fading on sub par roads and (especially) corrogated dirt roads. Another benefit of remote reservoir is that they are tunable and rebuildable.

Dont think that is a huge difference in setup between a patrol that predominatly tours/ daily drive. To some thing like mine which is a weekend warrior, that has averaged just less than 10k km a year. My setup can tour any day with good road manners, good handling, and I can crawl on the rocks with pretty good flex.

You cant have perfect ride and perfect handling. End of story. If you could a rolls royce, with a ride quality fit for royalty would handle like a ferrari F40. But it dosen't. It is a comprimise between the 2. How much of a comprimise is up to personal taste.

The best thing you can do is know the exact weight of your rig. The front half, back half and entire weight. (Ideally each corner, but not many people have a set of race scales in the shed).That reduces the chance of getting a spring that is too light of too heavy.(providing the person that sells you the springs know what they are doing), crappy roads need comfort and handling.

If you think about it and make good choises and save a bit extra coin you can set yourself up and have a good solid setup that can perform well in most situations.

Rip'n'Shred
3rd December 2014, 10:27 PM
SS flexicoils. 3inch I have in a GUII. Also run 45mm Tough Dog Adjustables and find them good too. But I can only compare it to the old and very sagged OME 2inch lift that was in there.

So what would you change about the shocks. They are an option I'm considering.

Rip'n'Shred
3rd December 2014, 10:43 PM
I suppose I should have explained it better in the start but I originally bought this particular suspension because I had in mind the use if the vehicle was mainly weekend fun and family touring trips like Cape york, vic high country, etc. with a camper trailer in tow.

I spent thousands on a good kit with panhards, drop boxs, brake lines, etc to make it work the first time...... apparently!

Things have changed with the use of the vehicle. I now drive it to work and run around town where is I never did in the past. I still want it capable offroad and can handle a little compromise on road to gain this.

If I was to do it from the start again now things may have been different. I probably would go a 2" with a locker but it's way past that now. I'm more interested in a new turbo. ;)

A part of me thinks the setup was good originally but as mentioned everytime the shocks were repaired they came back with a worse ride than previous. I know I'm beating a dead horse trying to continue down the path of replacments or repairs and just need to accept my loses and put my hand in my pocket again. I just don't want to make another mistake.

All too often you hear that brand X is great by 10 people than another 10 come along and say its crap. I understand everyone has different expectations and plans, and sometimes people get on the bandwagon of brand name bashing which just makes it even harder.

Ideally I guess trying out different shocks to find what I like would be great but doubt it could ever happen without paying first.

Another option is I'd really like to jump in someone's rig that has SS flexi coils with whatever shocks they are happy with to see for myself.

Anyone in the Hunter Valley or Newcastle area with this sort of setup?

mudski
4th December 2014, 10:48 AM
So what would you change about the shocks. They are an option I'm considering.

To be honest I dunno. I would maybe just try something with a remote reservoir and of higher quality and price tag. I'm happy with my setup, truly. I am really nit picking on my own choice.

mudski
4th December 2014, 10:54 AM
I suppose I should have explained it better in the start but I originally bought this particular suspension because I had in mind the use if the vehicle was mainly weekend fun and family touring trips like Cape york, vic high country, etc. with a camper trailer in tow.

I spent thousands on a good kit with panhards, drop boxs, brake lines, etc to make it work the first time...... apparently!

Things have changed with the use of the vehicle. I now drive it to work and run around town where is I never did in the past. I still want it capable offroad and can handle a little compromise on road to gain this.

If I was to do it from the start again now things may have been different. I probably would go a 2" with a locker but it's way past that now. I'm more interested in a new turbo. ;)

A part of me thinks the setup was good originally but as mentioned everytime the shocks were repaired they came back with a worse ride than previous. I know I'm beating a dead horse trying to continue down the path of replacments or repairs and just need to accept my loses and put my hand in my pocket again. I just don't want to make another mistake.

All too often you hear that brand X is great by 10 people than another 10 come along and say its crap. I understand everyone has different expectations and plans, and sometimes people get on the bandwagon of brand name bashing which just makes it even harder.
You will get this with any product you are researching. Just take it in, but don't get too twisted up as every environment people drive in is different to each others, plus the way they drive too will also factor in. Band wagon brand name bashing will always be around.

Ideally I guess trying out different shocks to find what I like would be great but doubt it could ever happen without paying first.

Another option is I'd really like to jump in someone's rig that has SS flexi coils with whatever shocks they are happy with to see for myself.

Nope, but I will be on the NSW south coast from the 12th of Jan to the 28th if your close by.

Rip'n'Shred
4th December 2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the offer but the south coast NSW is a bit too far for me.

Ben-e-boy
4th December 2014, 08:28 PM

springs give you the ride. Shocks dampen the movement of the spring, that is the shocks primary function.

start researching and learning about suspension as a whole. Geometry, How it reacts, how and why it is designed the way it is etc. There is heaps of info out there, the more you know the easier is to understand what is going on with YOUR 4x4, and what it needs to suit YOUR personal taste.

been there done that. I have chopped and changed parts in my suspension many times over the years, doing some things like springs and shocks multiple times over, at great cost. It wasn't until I started spending money on higher quality stuff that I realised if I had done it in the first place I would have been better off.
The only thing I have done once and right the first time (besides panhards and steering, they're a no brainer) is throwing a set of long arms in the rear.
Even the pro's dont get it right the first time(bloody close mind you). There is always tuning and changes.

Stropp
5th December 2014, 05:40 PM
hey mate pm Dhuck i think he lives in singo, not positive but somewhere nearby i think and find out what he runs on his.

Ben-e-boy
5th December 2014, 06:31 PM
hey mate pm Dhuck i think he lives in singo, not positive but somewhere nearby i think and find out what he runs on his.

Dhuck lives in brissy

Stropp
5th December 2014, 08:11 PM
Dhuck lives in brissy

woops must be someone else im thinking of who lives near there lol

Stropp
8th December 2014, 04:24 PM
ahhh just checked its muduck and he is at raymond terrace :)