PDA

View Full Version : Faulty interior lights

Brett
2nd December 2014, 04:09 PM
Hi I have a problem with the interior lights flashing on and off...12 moths ago I took it back to Nissan three times before they fixed it, only afer I said I wanted a refund on my extended wantanty.
Extended waranty now run out ...and its back.
I thought it was due to too much weight on the back door, however I have diconnected the switches from both back doors and its still happening?
Any Ideas?

threedogs
2nd December 2014, 04:23 PM
Hi Brett and welcome to the forum could you pop over to the intros
and tell us a bit about yourself etc before asking questions
Just something the forum asks of us all polite and all, no harm done though
you will get a better response too

BillsGU
3rd December 2014, 12:08 PM
I thought it was due to too much weight on the back door, however I have diconnected the switches from both back doors and its still happening?
Any Ideas?

Mine occasionally does the same so I would be interested to find out how you solve this problem.

Brett
3rd December 2014, 12:09 PM
Apologies, I believe I have now introduced myself, but as I haven't used forums before I don't know if I put it in the right place?

mudski
3rd December 2014, 12:14 PM
Well if you have disconneted the rear door switches, on both doors it would have to be one of the other doors doing it. Either that or the feed wire to one of the switches may be earthing somewhere.

threedogs
3rd December 2014, 12:16 PM
have you thought about a LED replacement, what about
a small squirt on the contacts inside interior light especially the lever.

Brett
3rd December 2014, 12:18 PM
Cheers mudski, I guess I will disconnect all test and then one by one till I find it.

mudski
3rd December 2014, 12:20 PM
I had the same issue and found the large barn door switch was the culprit. Some re adjustments to the catch to make the door shut tighter and was all good.

Brett
3rd December 2014, 12:24 PM
Cheers threedogs, but this occurs with the doors shut while driving and light coming on not doors open lights going off. The lever/switch operates as it should. And both lights flash on and off simultaneously.

mudski
3rd December 2014, 12:42 PM
Cheers threedogs, but this occurs with the doors shut while driving and light coming on not doors open lights going off. The lever/switch operates as it should. And both lights flash on and off simultaneously.

Definately a switch issue I think.

BillsGU
3rd December 2014, 02:21 PM
I had the same issue and found the large barn door switch was the culprit. Some re adjustments to the catch to make the door shut tighter and was all good.

I thought this was my issue as well, but the doors are as tight as - with no movement at all that I can detect. Also I have glued on a felt pad to the small (LH) door switch where it contacts the bottom of the sill. I STILL occasionally have the light flicker.

the evil twin
3rd December 2014, 02:31 PM
Very common fault.

Usual culprit is the adjustment of the switch on the big barn door and not the barn door play itself but can be any of the door switches.
On my prev Trol it was the front pax door switch.

Couldn't be rrsed adjusting the switch so I cut a 20 cent piece size bit off a fridge magnet and put it on the door where the switch plunger strikes.
Problem gone

Brett
7th December 2014, 01:37 AM
Thank everyone, I found the issue was the front passenger door. Nissans fix was to stick some foam pad on the door to depress the switch. That’s what you get when they hire "technicians" instead of qualified trades with some CDF.
Anyhow just unplugged for now, interior lights go on and off as they should bar the front passenger door, that’s for another day.

the evil twin
7th December 2014, 11:08 AM
Thank everyone, I found the issue was the front passenger door. Nissans fix was to stick some foam pad on the door to depress the switch. That’s what you get when they hire "technicians" instead of qualified trades with some CDF.
Anyhow just unplugged for now, interior lights go on and off as they should bar the front passenger door, that’s for another day.

They had obviously run out fo fridge magnets....

BillsGU
7th December 2014, 05:00 PM
I am not sure if the switch is adjustable. If the door latch adjustment does not pull it in far enough then the only option would be some sort of pad (magnet / felt / rubber / whatever). The body would not have to flex much to cause the light to turn on.

Bigcol
7th December 2014, 05:43 PM
I dont have my interior lights on, but the little warning light on the dash comes on when on rough ground, turning corners, etc
it is my rear door that is currently playing this game of on/off with the door switch

thank you ET - about to steal some magnets off the fridge door to try............

with the 4 seating doors, I pulled the switch out, and placed a washer between the end of the rubber nipple and the end of the switch- inside it

that worked.......
now for the rear door.............

the evil twin
7th December 2014, 06:59 PM
If your door warning illuminates on the dash but your interior lights don't then that is an odd one.

It cannot be a door switch as the door switch supplies earth for both lights.

Bigcol
7th December 2014, 07:46 PM
If your door warning illuminates on the dash but your interior lights don't then that is an odd one.

It cannot be a door switch as the door switch supplies earth for both lights.

I dont have my interior lights turned on - left them on once for 10 days while at work
now I only turn them on if I want to see something at night............ should have explained that bit

sorry............

the evil twin
7th December 2014, 08:11 PM
I dont have my interior lights turned on - left them on once for 10 days while at work
now I only turn them on if I want to see something at night............ should have explained that bit

sorry............

You know what, I thought about asking if you had the interior lights selected and thought, Nah, Col woulda mentioned it if he had 'em turned off... Apology accepted... tosser...

4bye4
7th December 2014, 09:09 PM
Are the rubber covers on all the switches intact? I had a problem where the light would sometimes go out when the drivers door was open. Turned out to be the switch getting caught in a hole in the rubber boot.

Brett
8th December 2014, 11:47 AM
Are the rubber covers on all the switches intact? I had a problem where the light would sometimes go out when the drivers door was open. Turned out to be the switch getting caught in a hole in the rubber boot.

That is possible as the boot is torn