PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 & 3” exhausts (again).

Cuppa
1st December 2014, 01:40 PM
For my 4.2 Cab chassis.

Beaudesert Stainless (304) Mandrel bent with dump pipe, with muffler - $1800

Genie Stainless (409) Mandrel bent + ceramic coated dump pipe, with muffler $1184

Seems like a no brainer to me ....... am I missing something?

Cuppa

Maxhead
1st December 2014, 01:52 PM
WOW, huge difference. I know what I'd be going for looking at face value but I think the 304 is better steel but not 600 bucks worth...lol

threedogs
1st December 2014, 02:19 PM
how long does normal exhaust steel last.
as I'm saying how long are you keeping the patrol ?
Genie are a Vendor here as well

Winnie
1st December 2014, 02:58 PM
Google tells me 409 is a cheaper grade of stainless steel, and it's main application is automobile exhausts.

Clunk
1st December 2014, 03:15 PM
Google is a wonderful thing..... 304 is a much higher grade of stainless than 409. It's also stronger and even more less likely rust

threedogs
1st December 2014, 03:37 PM
could be wrong but I always thought the higher the number the better the grade, happy to be wrong though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

megatexture
1st December 2014, 03:48 PM
That's what I thought also

Chimo
1st December 2014, 03:58 PM
I'm confused, why do you need a stainless steel exhaust, 304 or 409 or whatever on a diesel 4.2 or whatever?

Reason I ask is that we fitted a turbo and complete exhaust(not stainless) and sure it looks rusty on the outside and black on the inside but that was in about 1990/91 and its still on the Patrol with no leaks so why would you spend 1184 or 1800 on either of the above?

I do have a boat to spend $s on so maybe that's where and why things are different? (boat = bring out another thousand)

Cheers
Chimo

Cuppa
1st December 2014, 04:00 PM
From Genie’s web site:

lhurley
1st December 2014, 04:03 PM
Im only guesing, but the 304 would be more aesthetically pleasing in the way of shine, but the 409 would still hold up.

Im with chimo on this, any reason why you chose stainless? Justified if you plan on spending much time on the beach, or near salt water

megatexture
1st December 2014, 04:17 PM
Hey if chimo is getting 10-20 out of a mild steel that's great I can then expect 30-40 out of my s/s one unless his rig never hits the beach ?
I just picked up my geni legendx last week, though I'm still waiting for the ceramic coated dump/ cat section to get posted out welds look good and they aren't just a bar welded on the exhaust and I'm hoping the ceramic coating and the heat shield around the cat helps with the engine bay temps also.

I went the 3" straight through with cat.

Chimo
1st December 2014, 04:18 PM
Talking about being near salt water, the patrol with its not SS steel exhaust, apart from when its backed down boat ramps, has been living 50 meters from salt water since 1999.

Thats 24yrs so far and no sign of needing repairs let along replacement.

Tell me why I should spend the $s on SS exhaust again please?

megatexture
1st December 2014, 04:27 PM
When it rust out get one and let us know the difference

600$ is a big difference between both s/s exhaust cuppa, that's more than the mild steel vs s/s quotes I got.

I got a quote from beaudesert exhaust and they wanted to charge me extra for a custom job because I wanted to have no muffler lol

Maxhead
1st December 2014, 06:25 PM
I suppose you don't necessary need a SS pipe in a diesel but why the fark not? I have learned a lot of lessons by cutting corners and trying to save $$$ by skimping on quality.
These days I only buy quality because I want it to last and survive the environment I put shit through. (mind you I still buy electronic stuff from china..lol. but thats a different story)

bigkevlittletruck
1st December 2014, 06:52 PM
The shine factor would be irrelevant unless you plan on stunt driving ? Theres as much corrosive salts on most dirt roads as the beach. My mild steel fitted around 2000 has holes you can put a biro through

Cuppa
1st December 2014, 07:01 PM
Im only guesing, but the 304 would be more aesthetically pleasing in the way of shine, but the 409 would still hold up.

Im with chimo on this, any reason why you chose stainless? Justified if you plan on spending much time on the beach, or near salt water

I reckon you’re right about the shine. Not something that concerns me at all, it’s all underneath where you can’t see it. I’m not that fussed about whether I get stainless or not really, but Genie only do stainless ($1184 plus delivery) & Beaudesert gave me the price for both stainless ($1905 delivered& ‘aluminised mild steel ($1065 delivered). The price differential between Beaudesert’s mild steel & Genie’s stainless is small enough to consider paying the extra for Genie’s stainless.

MudRunnerTD
1st December 2014, 07:18 PM
I have an aluminised steel on the GQ from MTQ. About 3 years ago I went and had the Muffler section cut out and replaced at the local exhaust joint, didn't really think to much about it I wanted the noise.

So they cut in a section of mild steel 3". Bugger me if its not covered in surface rust. Clearly a massive difference. The Aluminised product looks like its been on the car a year rather than 9. It will be good for another 20 I reckon. That piece I had welded in will be knackered in 3.

I would go the aluminised without hesitation but the price of the SS is a winner.

BigRAWesty
1st December 2014, 07:24 PM
409 is used in exhaust systems as it's less likely to crack with heat tempering.

Yes it's a lower grade but I've got 23 years out of my stock system on the td42 so stainless should last a lifetime

lhurley
1st December 2014, 07:24 PM
I reckon you’re right about the shine. Not something that concerns me at all, it’s all underneath where you can’t see it. I’m not that fussed about whether I get stainless or not really, but Genie only do stainless ($1184 plus delivery) & Beaudesert gave me the price for both stainless ($1905 delivered& ‘aluminised mild steel ($1065 delivered). The price differential between Beaudesert’s mild steel & Genie’s stainless is small enough to consider paying the extra for Genie’s stainless.

Fair enough. If it was my money, I would be on that genie kit in a heart beat.

nissannewby
1st December 2014, 10:19 PM
come on cuppa get it done mate :p its been a long time coming.

Cuppa
1st December 2014, 11:04 PM
Yeah, you’re right Matt, (& I was hoping you’d post). I just need to convince myself that a larger diameter pipe isn’t going to give me any grief. Because I have a calorifier hot water unit in the pod I have extended the coolant hoses to run from the engine bay to the pod. In one section, just after the exhaust has left the engine bay, the coolant hose & exhaust pipe are very close to each other. I used silicon hose & made a rudimentary heat shield to protect the hose, but need to be sure that a larger diameter exhaust pipe isn’t going to be too close. It’s possible I may need to get a more effective heat shield made up (& coated with some high tech heat resistant coating?).

I’ve read that a ceramic dump pipe helps to remove heat from the engine more effectively but would a larger bore exhaust pipe with ceramic coated dump pipe run hotter or cooler in the first couple of feet after the dump pipe than the factory exhaust?

Cuppa

nissannewby
1st December 2014, 11:22 PM
It will run cooler mate. Pressure = heat so with the standard exhaust you have less flow = more pressure so more heat, you throw a 3" system on there it flows better so reduced pressure after the turbo and reduced heat.

If you are concerned you can get the remainder of the exhaust coated or even wrap it.

kevin07
2nd December 2014, 08:05 AM
from what I understand of these exhausts yes 409 is less likely to crack than 304 but 409 is more likely to crack than aluminised mild steel and with the ss you going to get noise from the pipe cooling.

megatexture
2nd December 2014, 04:42 PM
Yeah, you’re right Matt, (& I was hoping you’d post). I just need to convince myself that a larger diameter pipe isn’t going to give me any grief. Because I have a calorifier hot water unit in the pod I have extended the coolant hoses to run from the engine bay to the pod. In one section, just after the exhaust has left the engine bay, the coolant hose & exhaust pipe are very close to each other. I used silicon hose & made a rudimentary heat shield to protect the hose, but need to be sure that a larger diameter exhaust pipe isn’t going to be too close. It’s possible I may need to get a more effective heat shield made up (& coated with some high tech heat resistant coating?).

I’ve read that a ceramic dump pipe helps to remove heat from the engine more effectively but would a larger bore exhaust pipe with ceramic coated dump pipe run hotter or cooler in the first couple of feet after the dump pipe than the factory exhaust?

Cuppa

You can wrap the exhaust
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5m-x-50mm-Fiberglass-Exhaust-Header-Wrap-Insulator-Turbo-Pipe-Tape-Gold-10-Tie-/400647245013

or wrap the hoses or both
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electrical-Tape-Heat-Shield-Silver-Wrap-7-5M-x-50mm-New-/140402033461

megatexture
5th December 2014, 05:21 PM
I got my dump pipe in the mail today. Have you decided what way your going to go cuppa?

Cuppa
12th December 2014, 10:56 AM
I got my dump pipe in the mail today. Have you decided what way your going to go cuppa?

Sorry only just seen your question. I had an email from Genie today after I responded to their ‘Psycho Santa’ promotion, offering the 409 SS system with muffler + ceramic coated dump pipe for my vehicle for $950 plus freight! I also crawled underneath the car to check the clearance between the current pipe & coolant extension hose & there’s a bit more there than I had thought, so enough room to put some of that exhaust wrap on. I’ll talk with the Minister of war & finances tonight, but I think I’ll probably go for it.

Is your dump pipe one with the pyro fitting or not?
Have you fitted the system yet - if so what are your thoughts on the fitting & the result?
I believe that they are supposed to be fairly easy to fit, with the exception of the possibility of seized/broken studs in the turbo housing. I have spoken with a local exhaust fitting mob who reckon it’ll be a 2 to 3 hour job (depending upon exhaust studs) @$66 per hour which might be better than risking having the car stuck at home with a snapped exhaust stud.

threedogs
12th December 2014, 11:03 AM
to re-route the coolant to the pod why not get some hard drawn copper and some elbows and put it where you want
you can even put a lip in the copper pipe so you can use a hose clamp .45s would be better than 90s IMO

Not sure its legal to wrap your exhaust happy to be wrong.

megatexture
12th December 2014, 12:21 PM
Sorry only just seen your question. I had an email from Genie today after I responded to their ‘Psycho Santa’ promotion, offering the 409 SS system with muffler + ceramic coated dump pipe for my vehicle for $950 plus freight! I also crawled underneath the car to check the clearance between the current pipe & coolant extension hose & there’s a bit more there than I had thought, so enough room to put some of that exhaust wrap on. I’ll talk with the Minister of war & finances tonight, but I think I’ll probably go for it.

Is your dump pipe one with the pyro fitting or not?
Have you fitted the system yet - if so what are your thoughts on the fitting & the result?
I believe that they are supposed to be fairly easy to fit, with the exception of the possibility of seized/broken studs in the turbo housing. I have spoken with a local exhaust fitting mob who reckon it’ll be a 2 to 3 hour job (depending upon exhaust studs) @$66 per hour which might be better than risking having the car stuck at home with a snapped exhaust stud.

That's an absolute bargain mate stuff the missus I'd tell her when it arrives lmao.

Mines not fitted yet I'm waiting till my new pyro arrives as its in transit ATM and like you I'll be getting my local mechanic to fit it as I know at least one of the bolts will sheer off as we do a lot of beach work and had a few when doing the exhaust manifold.

If you get the legendex exhaust with 10 yr warranty it comes with the pyro bung and ceramic coating standard from my understanding

I'll hopefully get it fitted over the next week I hope.

The 4.2 must be a cheeper system than a 3ltr crd for some reason less bends maybe.. Mine was 1300 and I picked it up in person

megatexture
12th December 2014, 12:29 PM
That's freaky gauge just got deliver so I can book it in now

threedogs
12th December 2014, 12:52 PM
4.2 doesn't have a cat does it ????

nissannewby
12th December 2014, 03:45 PM
4.2 doesn't have a cat does it ????

Nope.

And nothing wrong with wrapping pipes.

nissannewby
12th December 2014, 03:48 PM
Cuppa

If you start applying some wd40 the studs and nuts for the dump pipe then they should come relatively easy when the exhaust arrives.

Cuppa
12th December 2014, 06:59 PM
MrsTea tells me I’ve been a good boy & can get the new pipe. :)

MT, the pipe is not the Legendex one with 10 year warranty, but the 409 stainless one with 5 year warranty. ( http://genieperformance.com.au/product/nissan-gu-patrol-4-2l-turbo-diesel-ute1998-2006-exhaust/ ).

Matt, I’ll follow your suggestion & get underneath to find those studs to give them a regular spray.

TD, I wouldn’t feel comfortable using copper pipe. My experience is that it fractures to easily with the sort of vibration corrugated roads impose on a vehicle.Whether that was hard drawn or not I have no idea, they were pipes in a domestic air conditioner ............ I’m guessing that 45s & 90s are grades of copper? I reckon sticking with the silicon hose & wrapping the pipe should suffice.

Matt, I think it was you who mentioned the possibility of getting the section of pipe in question coated. Did you mean ceramic coated internally? I don’t think it’s very expensive, a mate has just sent a pair of Triumph motorcycle pistons off to a place in Gippsland, Vic to have their crowns ceramic coated for about $30 each.

TPC
12th December 2014, 07:24 PM
I am thinking about getting the same thing, have not run it past the missus yet but should be ok as there is nothing else to spend money on at this time of the year.:tongue:

megatexture
12th December 2014, 08:09 PM
MrsTea tells me I’ve been a good boy & can get the new pipe. :)

MT, the pipe is not the Legendex one with 10 year warranty, but the 409 stainless one with 5 year warranty. ( http://genieperformance.com.au/product/nissan-gu-patrol-4-2l-turbo-diesel-ute1998-2006-exhaust/ ).

Matt, I’ll follow your suggestion & get underneath to find those studs to give them a regular spray.

TD, I wouldn’t feel comfortable using copper pipe. My experience is that it fractures to easily with the sort of vibration corrugated roads impose on a vehicle.Whether that was hard drawn or not I have no idea, they were pipes in a domestic air conditioner ............ I’m guessing that 45s & 90s are grades of copper? I reckon sticking with the silicon hose & wrapping the pipe should suffice.

Matt, I think it was you who mentioned the possibility of getting the section of pipe in question coated. Did you mean ceramic coated internally? I don’t think it’s very expensive, a mate has just sent a pair of Triumph motorcycle pistons off to a place in Gippsland, Vic to have their crowns ceramic coated for about $30 each.

When I was talking to my mechanic before getting the genie exhaust he recommended ceramic coating the
dump- first bend under the car and he said its usually around $200

The 5 year warranty pipe has the bung as an option, I would get it fitted for sure.

That link says about a 10$ pyro bung and 79$ to ceramic coat the dump pipe.

Cuppa
12th December 2014, 09:49 PM
That link says about a 10$ pyro bung and 79$ to ceramic coat the dump pipe.

They offered me both for $50 with the system. That’s a total saving of $234 off their advertised price which is pretty good anyway. Have fired off an email to order a system this evening.

megatexture
12th December 2014, 10:04 PM
Not bad, I can't wait to get mine on I been looking at it for over a week lol

nissannewby
12th December 2014, 11:05 PM
In regards to the ceramic coating basically what has been said above. Get the dump pipe and about the first metre of pipe done, externally coated is fine.

threedogs
13th December 2014, 07:47 AM
That Ceramic coating mob is in Leongatha,.
not bad on turn around time, either
http://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html
@ Cuppa have a read of this

TPC
17th December 2014, 12:03 AM
Cuppa, how long did it take Genie to get back to you after your Psycho Santa enquire?
I sent enquire last week and have had no reply.

Cuppa
17th December 2014, 07:14 AM
Cuppa, how long did it take Genie to get back to you after your Psycho Santa enquire?
I sent enquire last week and have had no reply.

11 days.
You could try giving Barney a call on M:0402 054 359

CUB
28th December 2014, 05:18 PM
Cheers for the info Cuppa I have sent an email just now, hoping to get myself a belated christmas present lol I see genie is also running a deal to get a free straight threw pipe to replace muffler section "go berserker offer" see if they might throw that in its christmas and all......