PDA

View Full Version : Lift Kit Suspension Comparison Thread - Where can I find this?

InterFJ
1st December 2014, 07:10 AM
Hi all. I'm wanting to put a lift kit suspension on my GQ SWB. Is there a thread comparing the different options out there? And by looking at my rig, any suggestions on what might work best? It's a 1990 Diesel. I'll be using the Patrol mainly for overland travel, no rock crawling, but I am anticipating lots of mud and steep, mountainous ascents.

Pics of my current set up that I'm looking to replace and upgrade...

Bigcol
1st December 2014, 08:48 AM
I have not seen a comparison thread as such,
but most guys will help you in a few recommendations.......

unfortunately (?) for us in Australia, we have a large range to choose from, as well as some people buying gear off the USA

depending on your Countries Laws with vehicles, depends on what you can legally get away with - most States in Aust only allow 4" max - 2" lift & 2" body

a "standard" 2" lift will see Springs and Shockies as required

When lifting your suspension, the vehicle's caster and radius arm angle are changed.
3" lift you MAY need to change your Radius arms, or fit "Drop Boxes" (Drop boxes are designed to allow the radius arms to be dropped below the chassis to correct the caster geometry, correct the articulation of the suspension components )
3" - 5" lift, you WILL have to change the geometry of the suspension to get it back closer to original angles required........
as well as longer brake lines (as the Diff's are now further away)

body lift (not a fan of them myself) but you can fit blocks under the body (at where it bolts to the chassis) and lift the body higher
but you have to make modifications to the Fan (sometimes) gear stick / 4wd lever, bull bar, rear bar, side steps....... (never ending)

have a look at
Superior Engineering suspension kits - http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/
ARB - http://www.arb.com.au/

my suggestion, as its a short wheel base - KISS - (Keep It Simple Stupid) - go for a 2" lift - it will look like a "Tonka Truck"
you can fit 33" tyres
and you will be almost unstoppable

good luck.......

cheers

Stropp
1st December 2014, 01:17 PM
As col says above do research but most will recommend king springs and whatever shock you desire, the superior gear is very good.

InterFJ
1st December 2014, 10:54 PM
Awesome. This is very helpful! Thank you.

InterFJ
2nd December 2014, 11:21 PM
Now that I've started to seriously look into lift kits I am hoping to receive some help/feedback deciding on a set up. And if there are pics of Shorty's out there with any of the three mentioned brands below, please share! I am a visual learner :)

I'm considering the 2" ARB/OME, Tough Dog and Superior Lift Kit Stage 1 and 2. My questions are:

OME Heavy Load - I have the OMEs on my 2011 FJ Cruiser and have absolutely no issues. I plan to carry an RTT and a few other goodies on top, so my question is, anybody running this setup and how does it handle on the Patrol? The price point of the OMEs is quite nice compared to the others.

Tough Dog - being from the States and currently living in Guatemala, I am new to this brand. What is the general consensus on the Tough Dog?

Superior - this set up appears similar to what Toytech does in the States by incorporating different brands into their recommended suspension lift kits. Is there a major difference between the Stage 1 and 2 that warrants the additional AUD169 and makes it worth upgrading?

Lastly, can anybody tell me what my current suspension set up is, i.e. leaf, spring, etc? I'm no techie and could sure use the advice!

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2014, 11:44 PM
Now that I've started to seriously look into lift kits I am hoping to receive some help/feedback deciding on a set up. And if there are pics of Shorty's out there with any of the three mentioned brands below, please share! I am a visual learner :)

I'm considering the 2" ARB/OME, Tough Dog and Superior Lift Kit Stage 1 and 2. My questions are:

OME Heavy Load - I have the OMEs on my 2011 FJ Cruiser and have absolutely no issues. I plan to carry an RTT and a few other goodies on top, so my question is, anybody running this setup and how does it handle on the Patrol? The price point of the OMEs is quite nice compared to the others.

Tough Dog - being from the States and currently living in Guatemala, I am new to this brand. What is the general consensus on the Tough Dog?

Superior - this set up appears similar to what Toytech does in the States by incorporating different brands into their recommended suspension lift kits. Is there a major difference between the Stage 1 and 2 that warrants the additional AUD169 and makes it worth upgrading?

Lastly, can anybody tell me what my current suspension set up is, i.e. leaf, spring, etc? I'm no techie and could sure use the advice!

Coil springs to all 4 corners mate.

Bigcol
3rd December 2014, 01:34 AM

Coil springs with Shockies

just be aware when you get the new Coil springs - drivers side spring is slightly taller / bigger / longer than the passenger side
to compensate for the weight of the driver..........

as you can see better on the rear springs / shocks I fitted to my old GQ years ago (front 2 are for the front, rear 2 are for the rear) left one bigger / longer / taller than the other

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/Suspension%20GQ/P1040734.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/collorr/media/Suspension%20GQ/P1040734.jpg.html)

cheers

Bigcol
3rd December 2014, 09:00 AM
that was before -

this was after........
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/Suspension%20GQ/P1040749.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/collorr/media/Suspension%20GQ/P1040749.jpg.html)

InterFJ
3rd December 2014, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the information, gents! I found out today there's an ARB dealer in Guatemala, so unless they are unable to supply the suspension lift kit, looks like I'll be going with the OMEs.

@ Bigcol - looks great!

Bigcol
3rd December 2014, 11:41 PM
that was only a 2" lift as well, nothing fancy, but reliable...........

good news about the ARB dealer........... - I think..........????

I have never shopped with them at all..... I dont like their prices or their sales staff - but thats just me

InterFJ
4th December 2014, 01:14 PM
I like the 2" lift, though an extra 1-2 would be great! Reliable, capable and dependable is what I go for. RE: ARB, I have an FJ Cruiser back home that is fully decked out in ARB and have been very happy with their product. Their sales staff are hit or miss. I'm just glad to know there's an option in Guatemala. I would like to try out a new suspension as I have the OMEs on the FJ. It'll be interesting to see how their prices compare to procuring from Australia plus shipping. Very jealous of the options you guys have over there for the GQ!

Bigcol
4th December 2014, 01:27 PM
just remember though, the higher you go with the lift, the MORE mods you have to make it work properly

also, being a shorty, the higher they go, the funnier they look.....
I hate to say it, but - have a look at 4wd Action web page - http://www.4wdaction.com.au/
in their forum you might find Graeme Cahills Shorty, he has done a lot to that thing

cheers

InterFJ
8th December 2014, 11:52 AM
I'm sticking to the 2" lift. Putting in an order for the OMEs. Supposed to take 45 days to arrive!