PDA

View Full Version : Body swap

daz172
30th November 2014, 08:32 PM
Can anybody give me rough idea on wats involved in a body swap, I mean is it economical? And I know it's not just as simple taking body off and putting new 1 on I just wanted an idea of all the little important things 1 has to think about b4 deciding to take on a job like this
Thanks in advance

matfew
30th November 2014, 09:19 PM
lifting the new one on was the hardest part for me. lord of ways to lift but without damage it is a lil tricky.

I used a engine crane in the rear with chain connected to rear seat belt bolts. then block and tackle on the front 2 body mount holes. then just a jack for fine tuning as I dropped it down.

I had both cabs side by side and just swooped the whole loom across as I was using a rb30 body on a td chassis and motor.

daz172
1st December 2014, 01:42 PM
Ah ok and wat sort of time untill u got it back on the road did it take u?, was there any other little probs u ran into along the way swapping bodies?? I'm looking at doing it with my truck that I rolled couple weeks ago, have got a new 1 exact same model and colour , that u could use for a swap. Only thing is, that my old truck was written off, but I bought it back

matfew
1st December 2014, 06:04 PM
if it was written off was it a repairable write off? if not you can never get them back ob the road.

if it was you need to go through the viv process. they will want all receipts etc from the work you done. more than likely the old tags off the body to.

as for the swap its actually very easy. undo all body bolts disconnect what you can see like wiring, plumbing and steering. lift it a bit and see what else is hitting. I removed radiator to change looms etc. I could of finished it in a solid weekend and that included changing full loom as in complete engine loom AND dash loom along with cluster etc. also td fuel lines and vacuum lines.

if you're using same model body should be very easy.

daz172
1st December 2014, 07:49 PM
Ok great thanx. As for the write off they never said to me what kind of write off it was , I will ring insurance and enquire. 52261 that's her b4 tow truck came body is completely rooted the whole thing is just twisted n bent, it went over 2.5 times, as for mechanicals they are fine all except 2 broken engine mounts, I drove it out to the tar very carefully ofcourse as there was no engine mounts , but really other than body work it's fine, watever is not broken off still works fine

daz172
1st December 2014, 07:51 PM
52262 this her just b4 we attempt to start to put her back on her wheels

Agronaught
1st December 2014, 08:47 PM
Was the donor a write off? Are you going the harder path?

daz172
1st December 2014, 09:08 PM
My truck is write off , I bought it back tho, the new truck I have wasn't a write off, but I wanted to put the new truck shell on my rig, but u see I'm in nsw and the laws there r shit and I was told by a mate they just tightened up the laws so more Han likely won't let me put it back on road so I'll have to do some investigation n see wat I can do . Thing is the only thing that is no good on my truck is the cab everything else still working fine no problem , it would b really stupid if they wouldn't let me do a cab swap, chassis is fine , not bent cracked or anything been told that by assessor myself

Punderhead
2nd December 2014, 01:34 PM
Is the cab you have got to put on the car just the shell or the whole car? If it's the whole car you could probably just swap all the gear over to it. Just thinking you might find it easier to get a mod. Plate for an engine swap than a mod plate for a cab swap.

(AUST)Mod
2nd December 2014, 04:01 PM
Keen to hear how you progress. Good luck!

Gutsquisher Media
5th December 2014, 08:32 PM
Is the cab you have got to put on the car just the shell or the whole car? If it's the whole car you could probably just swap all the gear over to it. Just thinking you might find it easier to get a mod. Plate for an engine swap than a mod plate for a cab swap.

Have to agree with Punderhead on this one if the your car is a statutory (non-repairable) write-off you can not use the chassis as it has the VIN stamped into as well, this will identify the 4x4 as a statutory write-off.

the evil twin
5th December 2014, 09:10 PM
Agree with Punder and Guts.

NSW may have shit laws but they are the same shit laws everywhere for statutory write offs.
In short, you're screwed.

If it is a repairable write off then you can go for it but may still need engineerig checks depending on the category under which it was written off.

I would have thought the easy and quickest way would be to transfer your running gear and accessories to the good body and chassis or are they different models/engines etc?

daz172
5th December 2014, 11:06 PM
In the assessors words it's a total loss, not actually sure what kind off write off it is, they didn't say repairable or not but it's defo now a statutory write off , they told me that, said it's over 15yrs old so that means it doesn't have to b reported to rms, anything younger than 15yrs has to b reported to rms therefor automatic statutory write off. I already purchased wreck back, with a statutory write off u don't even get that option, u can't buy it back. So what other kinds of write off is there? I thought it was only the 2 ,statutory and repairable???

daz172
5th December 2014, 11:08 PM
And yeh transferring everything over to good clean body is defo an option and prob the 1 I may take but just seeing wat I can actually do if I decide otherwise.

Dradyz
10th December 2014, 09:30 AM
Have to love the enthusiasm to get the old girl back on the road