PDA

View Full Version : Evap cooling motor ticks.

mudski
30th November 2014, 05:56 PM
So I noticed today that the evap cooler has teretz. Its ticking. I first thought something is touching the fins on the fan but its all clear. There is no play on the fan at all too.
Just wondering if this is a sign of the brushes saying bye bye in the motor. I dont particularly want to call someone in for this as we are a bit on cash this month, plus I have replaced brushed before on motor so I cant seeing this being too hard.
Just want to know if this maybe the cause of the tick before I pull it apart.

Cheers.

nissannewby
30th November 2014, 07:11 PM
There is absolutely no debris anywhere in the unit? I have seen debris in machinery and things like chip packets have been flapping around making noises similar to that of something touching the fan although nothing is.

Winnie
30th November 2014, 07:17 PM
Stropp is your man

Clunk
30th November 2014, 07:18 PM
how fast is the tick

Stropp
30th November 2014, 08:00 PM
Sounds a bit like the fan may touching something but if you have checked that I would run the fan only to make sure it's not something to do with the pump or the cooling side, if the motor is ticking it should do it when just the fan is on, no cooling but I suspect the fan is just touching something!

Sometimes things move and the fan can just touch the body of the fan shroud.

Cuppa
30th November 2014, 08:58 PM
Tourettes...... or more formally Gilles de la Tourettes Syndrome. I wrote a paper on it once in the dark & dim past. Oh you wanted to talk about your motor noises .... sorry. (Ha ha).

mudski
30th November 2014, 10:02 PM
O.k thanks guys for the input. As it hot as hell here tonight, I wanted to see if I can find the issue myself and tonight. Rather than calling a tech in and paying shitloads for what might be nothing. So I got up on the roof and checked the fan again. There was nothing touching the fan at all. I gave the pads and the entire inside of the unit a good wash while I was there. Checked every blade for cracks. Nothing. Everything looked good. So I put the a/c back on and ,tick tick tick tick! Bugger. Switch it off go back up, remove the pads, have another look. But this time with the fan running but not the water as I would get a bit wet if I did. No noise! Hmm. Got my daughter to switch on the pump, tick tick tick. Its the bloody pump.
By this time is pitch black and I'm getting eaten alive by mozzies. They smell my blood from miles away and all land on me at once. I take the cover off the pump motor to reveal a small fan ontop of the pump which is obviously there to keep the motor cool on the pump. This was rubbing against the motor! Thinking how much a new motor is going to cost me I though, stuff it, improvise. Pulled out my knife and shaved off enough on each little fan blade so it won't rub anymore. It worked!!!! Hopefully stays worked too. As we were starting to stress a little today as we just forked out 5hunge for the solar to be fix and nearly 2K in bills decide to hit us at once this week!

Now we can sleep easy tonight and I have a small feeling of happiness that I just saved us an expensive call out fee.

Stropp is your man

Is stropp an a/c man? Or tech or whatever they are called? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.png

Stropp
30th November 2014, 10:26 PM
Good result mate, as I said either the fan or something like the pump, thankfully it was only the pump ax if it gives up the ghost it's relatively cheap to replace and you should be able to change it yourself, turn off the power and follow the wires to the circuit board and change them over, hey presto done. FYI it's about 18 deg here with a nice breeze :)

mudski
30th November 2014, 10:30 PM
Good result mate, as I said either the fan or something like the pump, thankfully it was only the pump ax if it gives up the ghost it's relatively cheap to replace and you should be able to change it yourself, turn off the power and follow the wires to the circuit board and change them over, hey presto done. FYI it's about 18 deg here with a nice breeze :)
27 still outside here at 11pm.... Noice. How often, if at all should the cooling pads get replaced? I clean my unit out, pads and all once a year. Fair bit of dirt come out of them today. Anything else I should be doing whilst cleaning it?

Clunk
30th November 2014, 11:05 PM
yep good fix, as pumps said, pumps are relatively cheap, last time I had to buy one...... a couple of years ago cost me $110

megatexture
1st December 2014, 01:35 AM
I'm surprised the pump isn't just water cooled, good result though

Tonks
1st December 2014, 08:29 AM
I had to replace the pump on my Bonaire evap cooler on the weekend it was only $ 90.00, very easy to changover, Happy Days.

mudski
1st December 2014, 01:04 PM
I wonder if I can get a higher flow rate pump. As our evap cooling is no way near as cool as a friend on mines in. I know its not going to make things cold but its not as good as others I have seen. Whether a better pump would actually make things a bit cooler too....

Stropp
1st December 2014, 01:10 PM
No mate it won't as it's the airflow through the pads that does the cooling, make sure the water manifold is clean at all the holes so the water saturates the pads, other than that it's get a bigger unit if you want more cooling.

Bob
1st December 2014, 01:12 PM
I wonder if I can get a higher flow rate pump. As our evap cooling is no way near as cool as a friend on mines in. I know its not going to make things cold but its not as good as others I have seen. Whether a better pump would actually make things a bit cooler too....

Maybe if you change the filters it might improve the effectiveness of the Evap Cooler.
That's of course if they have not been changed for a time

PS Just saw the Post from Stropp and he explained himself better than me LOL

Stropp
1st December 2014, 05:56 PM
Maybe if you change the filters it might improve the effectiveness of the Evap Cooler.
That's of course if they have not been changed for a time

PS Just saw the Post from Stropp and he explained himself better than me LOL

I would try cleaning the pads first as they retail for about $400 set

mudski
1st December 2014, 07:08 PM
I would try cleaning the pads first as they retail for about $400 set

thanks. I clean the pads every 12 months. Just cleaned them on the weekend whilst trying to find this tick and they weren't too bad. I haven't checked the manifold though. I will do this on the weekend.

mudski
2nd December 2014, 02:47 PM
Bugger! The pumps making even louder noises now! Just gotta find who sells them. Grrr. More money!

Bob
2nd December 2014, 02:52 PM
Bugger! The pumps making even louder noises now! Just gotta find who sells them. Grrr. More money!

The next door one has been doing that for 12 months and has not blown up yet.

mudski
2nd December 2014, 05:37 PM
Yeah but now I can hear it inside. Found an bloke running a dingy old store not too far from me and he bloody had one for $69!

Stropp
2nd December 2014, 07:26 PM
Yeah but now I can hear it inside. Found an bloke running a dingy old store not too far from me and he bloody had one for $69!

thats a good price, i sell them for $130 but i need to be able spend money on the patrol :)