PDA

View Full Version : TB45 from Melbourne!

aiKzo6
4th March 2011, 10:26 PM
My name Aiks and ive got a 98 series I GU with a tb45e turning the wheels. Its my 2nd 4wd and one that i hope to keep for a while so its good to know that there's so much forum support and info going around!

Im an apprentice techy for Audi during the week and salesman for Autobarn on weekends. Audi gives me the workshop/equipment to use 6 days a week and Autobarn gives me cheap parts :p Basically everything that ive ever done to a car has been done by myself, apart from a lot of auto electrical work which i pass off to one of my best mates who runs his own workshop.

I first got into 4wds because i was looking for a car that i could have fun in without losing my license, having already gotten several priors. I bought a ln130 Surf. My theory worked out pretty well, because i spent most weekends fixing the car instead of prowling the streets at night with my mates. Despite copping a load of abuse from people with patrols and cruisers, i can honestly say the surf stood up pretty well for itself. It really only got stuck a couple of times, got flooded out (first water crossing; rookie mistake :p), got put on its side once, and got towed home once (snapped steering rod in Toolangi). I was still a brat, and it wasn't long before i found out you can still be an idiot in a 4wd. I lost my license for it and i decided to sell the car because i wanted to start fresh and keep a clean record.
A couple of weeks after selling i started car hunting again and found a bone stock series 1 GU on ebay with just under 230xxx on the clock. It was owned by a female with kids and had no offroad history. I went to have a look and it was as described. Body was in good condition minus a couple of dings and scratches, and it was filthy inside. But there were minimal oil leaks and it ran smoothly. I managed to grab it for $10050.

Since buying the car i've spent most of my time focusing on the audio install, a hobby of mine that ive had even before the first car. 90% complete, the car pulled 148.3db @ 42hz at Narre Warrens soundoff in Feb 2011. When finished, i'm hoping to pass the 149db mark.
Other than that, ive got a heap on the to-do list:
- Xrox tube bar
- ARB rear tube bar w/ tow hitch
- Sliders
- SS snorkel (3.5" or 4")
- UniQ
- 35"s
- 5" Flexys with 7" shocks
.....and the list goes on from there.......

Obviously id love to utilize the petrol motor and run a turbo or blower but thats all money that i dont have at the moment...

Pics:
Old Surf
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/15052010035border.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/05052010026.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/aiks/12319_362945296344_596456344_406665.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/aiks/12319_362945236344_596456344_406665.jpg

New Troll
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/066.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/29082010121.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/29082010122.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/14022011086.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/26022011093.jpg
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/aiKzo6/12022011076.jpg

Cheers!
Aiks

AB
4th March 2011, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the forum Aiks.

What an intro mate, well done!

Good purchase originally and now youve turned it into a beast! Great photos Aiks, thanks for sharing!

Serious sound system youve got there too...

Finly Owner
4th March 2011, 10:32 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House
Thanks for the pics and the surf did look tough
Can't wait to see finished Troll

Tim

YNOT
4th March 2011, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the forum Aiks.

Tony

aiKzo6
4th March 2011, 10:40 PM
Cheers fellas. Appreciate the warm welcome ;)

Sir Roofy
5th March 2011, 06:56 AM
welcome aboard mate mean machine there

DX grunt
5th March 2011, 08:15 AM
G'day Aiks.

Welcome to the forum and great to have you onboard. Thanks for your detailed intro.
I take it you like night driving with your 8 spotties? I don't think you'd miss much with that lot. lol

How's the temp gauge in summer go with 3 spotties in front of the radiator?

Please don't be a stranger and talk us through your build up as it progresses.

We have a Member's Ride thread, so feel free to start off with your pics there.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

growler2058
5th March 2011, 08:18 AM
Gday mate helpful mob here with quality troll knowledge

NissanGQ4.2
5th March 2011, 09:11 AM
Welcome 2 the forum Aiks,

Nice looking rig mate.

Great bunch of guys and girls on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer.

Cheers

Todd

Bob
5th March 2011, 10:03 AM
Welcome Aiks. Join in and enjoy

Maxhead
5th March 2011, 11:58 AM
Welcome to the forum Aiks, top intro mate and nice troll

aiKzo6
5th March 2011, 03:36 PM
Cheers guys.

G'day Aiks.

Welcome to the forum and great to have you onboard. Thanks for your detailed intro.
I take it you like night driving with your 8 spotties? I don't think you'd miss much with that lot. lol

How's the temp gauge in summer go with 3 spotties in front of the radiator?

Please don't be a stranger and talk us through your build up as it progresses.

We have a Member's Ride thread, so feel free to start off with your pics there.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Unfortunately i havent gotten around to running the wiring to all the spotties yet. I was planning on bolting up an xrox bar pretty soon after i bought the car, but its been pushed further away due to insufficient funds. Ive got a heavy duty relay with m6 stud terminals to run the whole lot, so ill wait for the bar and wire everything up at once. Temperature sits just below half on the stock gauge with the spotties there, which i think is pretty normal. Ive lifted the back of the bonnet up about 10mm so it draws all the air through from under the motor and through the grille, then straight out the top, keeping a pretty steady airflow.

Cheers

big_fletch
5th March 2011, 06:53 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, awesome looking patrol you have there.. looks freaking tough as.. where abouts you located?? Down Victoria way?? Would love to see that thing in person..
Enjoy the forum mate and feel free to join in the discussions

Fletcha

aiKzo6
5th March 2011, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, awesome looking patrol you have there.. looks freaking tough as.. where abouts you located?? Down Victoria way?? Would love to see that thing in person..
Enjoy the forum mate and feel free to join in the discussions

Fletcha

yeah mate im down doncaster/box hill way. little far from shep, but sometimes im up there for the springnats so you might catch a glimpse ;)

wildgu6
5th March 2011, 09:58 PM
Hey Aiks, Welcome aboard buddy,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Great pics buddy, and a great set up for the trol, very nice, well done.
Got a soft spot for smurfs as well, Tough lookin rigs mate. You should be proud of them.
Again great pics, Thanks for sharing them with us. :clapping::clapping:

Welcome aboard buddy and Enjoy the ride.
Hope you have a great 2011.
Happy trekin buddy, stay safe

Cheers Pete

big_fletch
5th March 2011, 10:20 PM
yeah mate im down doncaster/box hill way. little far from shep, but sometimes im up there for the springnats so you might catch a glimpse ;)

Haha top stuff, well if your ever up this way again send me a pm and ill gladly meetup for a beer mate.. nats is pretty awesome, u have a car u enter or come up for the burning rubber lol

Dark 1
5th March 2011, 10:45 PM
Welcome mate, great shots of your rides, keep the piccies coming.

aiKzo6
5th March 2011, 10:53 PM
Hey Aiks, Welcome aboard buddy,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Great pics buddy, and a great set up for the trol, very nice, well done.
Got a soft spot for smurfs as well, Tough lookin rigs mate. You should be proud of them.
Again great pics, Thanks for sharing them with us. :clapping::clapping:

Welcome aboard buddy and Enjoy the ride.
Hope you have a great 2011.
Happy trekin buddy, stay safe

Cheers Pete

Cheers mate. Already scouted a heap of useful threads on the forums here that could definately help me in the long run!

Haha top stuff, well if your ever up this way again send me a pm and ill gladly meetup for a beer mate.. nats is pretty awesome, u have a car u enter or come up for the burning rubber lol

Im just there for the rubber mate! And its a good excuse to stretch the trolls legs at least at least once a year :p

Clunk
7th March 2011, 12:44 AM
welcome aboard mate, great intro there and great looking rig too

Dhuck
8th March 2011, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the forum mate. Nice tidy setup you have there. Especially the carton of JD in the back.

Bigrig
8th March 2011, 09:43 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Awesome intro mate - well done!! Great people, information and laughs on the forum mate, so don't be shy and join in whenever you like to make the most of it. Enjoy!!

MS29431
8th March 2011, 03:34 PM
Welcome aboard aiks
these guys have a heap of helpfull stuff on almost anything you want to know
i've got an older rig and the forum members have helped me out heaps on various issues
By the way sick photo's mate!

patch697
3rd May 2011, 07:37 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul