PDA

View Full Version : Zd30 VNT Notchy?

big_fletch
28th November 2014, 07:02 PM
Over the last couple of days I have developed a problem with my 01' troll.*
Currently I have the vnt screw down a 1/3 of a turn with a moderate spool rate. Whilst driving the boost comes up as normal and stops around 2000-2200 rpm at around 6 psi and the power flatspots. I can hold the throttle flat and will continue like this for a couple of seconds then all of a sudden 12psi and off we go again ( not limp as I don't have too reset the pedal). Egt's haven't changed.
I have replaced the leaking intercooler with an Adrad welded replacement and checked for boost leaks.
I removed the actuator off the turbo and found the vnt arm to be quite 'Notchy'.
Could the actuator be hitting a Notchy point while accelerating and having too build up enough vacume to lift over it which would give me the sudden jump from 6 psi to 12ish where it normally sits? Seems like the turbo vanes are abit sticky if this is possible?

Fletcha

Sir Roofy
28th November 2014, 07:36 PM
If its notchy would you be able to see it stick while adjusting
the needle valve and if the vanes seem abit sticky ?might be lack of oil
or pressure just a stab in the dark mate

big_fletch
28th November 2014, 09:22 PM
If its notchy would you be able to see it stick while adjusting
the needle valve and if the vanes seem abit sticky ?might be lack of oil
or pressure just a stab in the dark mate

Yer adjusting the needle valve adjusts where the boost freezes in the Rev range which is why I'm thinking it's possibly a sticky vnt

Rumcajs
28th November 2014, 09:58 PM
You need to check if at idle the arm moves up to its max position and stays there. If it fluctuates you have vac leak somewhere.

Regards

Sir Roofy
29th November 2014, 06:47 AM
Yer adjusting the needle valve adjusts where the boost freezes in the Rev range which is why I'm thinking it's possibly a sticky vnt

has turtle still got his pinch for a day and swap parts