PDA

View Full Version : Ribbed flywheel

rkinsey
28th November 2014, 09:07 AM
G'day guys. The second hand motor that I have installed in the GQ has a new clutch kit installed as well as a new fly wheel. I thought to myself "Score!" however the flywheel is "ribbed" and not flat.

I can not find any information on this flywheel at all as I am trying to find out what clutch plate goes with it. The clutch plate that was with the kit does not fit the input shaft of my gearbox so I had to put in my original clutch plate.

However it is making a horrible grinding noise when I takeoff.

My next option is to replace the flywheel and clutch kit altogether.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Rob

Figjam
28th November 2014, 11:20 AM
Hi Rob

I have never seen or heard of a ribbed flywheel before. Are these circular ribs? If so it is a damaged face and needs machining. Straight ribs radiating out from the centre would strip the clutch material as you "slip it" for a controlled takeoff.

As you have not re-installed the clutch plate that came with it, there may be some interferance around the central damping spigot area of the clutch plate or possibly it is arse about and hitting flywheel bolt heads.

Either way it needs to be checked and remedied quickly as bad vibration back through your crank and gearbox can lead to major damage

rkinsey
28th November 2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks Figjam,

I am dropping the gearbox this weekend. Im kikcking myself for not taking photos when it was out of the car, but the ribs are radiating out from the centre of the fly wheel on the clutch surface. It looked like a brand new fly wheel.

I dont think I have installed my clutch plate incorrectly. I did double check that it was facing the right way. However, I have been known to muck things up from time to time so I will double check.

I will come back with pics and my findings tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Rob

Stropp
28th November 2014, 04:21 PM
bugger thats not good, will be interested to see the pics.

Bloodyaussie
28th November 2014, 04:28 PM
Wish there were pics as I am having trouble understanding what's going on?

Figjam
28th November 2014, 05:45 PM
Apolgies to those in the know but I thought I would add some very basic info and photo.

A clutch assembly has the flywheel bolted to the crank with a smooth outer face (usually)
The clutch plate itself has friction materials on both faces and mounts on a spline to the greabox input shaft. They usually have some sort of dampening unit in the centre such as the section with springs in the image. This helps to alleviate some of the shock loading as the clutch is engaged.
Often this dampening centre is sticks further out on one side than the other and it is possible to fit it in the wrong way around.

The pressure plate is spring loaded and compresses the friction plate between its smooth surface and the flywheel's.
A thrust bearing presses against the "fingers" of the pressure plate to apply and release clutch spring tension as the clutch pedal is operated.

rkinsey
29th November 2014, 06:59 PM
Here you go Stropp and BA.

I found the problem......

rkinsey
29th November 2014, 07:01 PM
Turns out I did install the clutch plate correctly but I didn't take any notice of the flywheel

I am in the middle of installing my original flywheel to resolve the problem.

Tomorrow is wrestle the gearbox back into place day.....

Cheers,

Rob

Bloodyaussie
29th November 2014, 07:36 PM
Interesting machining marks.....

Have fun tomorrow... I have been there a few times and it is not up there with my favourite things to do.

rkinsey
30th November 2014, 10:12 AM
Righto.

Remove "Ribbed flywheel" (to be machined and or sold) cleanup original flywheel with some wet n dry and WD40 as well as about an hour of elbow greese. I also cleaned the (flat faced) flywheel and new clutch and preasure plate. All up, took me about one hour.

rkinsey
30th November 2014, 10:13 AM
Now all I have to do is reinstall everything else.....

BigRAWesty
30th November 2014, 10:48 AM
Somehow I don't think that fly wheel is supposed to be like that.
It looks like a shoit machining job. I'd be getting some cash back.
Anyway. At least ya found your problem though.

rkinsey
30th November 2014, 12:08 PM
Hi Bigwesty,

That is the flywheel that was on the second hand motor that I have just dropped into the GQ.

Once the clutch plate grabbed the flywheel and preasure plate it was all good. No drive slip at all. Was just noisy when starting.

I will have it machined properly and keep it for the restoration of my original engine. The flywheel looks to be brand new.

rkinsey
30th November 2014, 12:09 PM
Gearbox in and now time for lunch.

Agronaught
30th November 2014, 03:09 PM
Looks like the mill used to machine that flywheel wasn't adjusted correctly.

rkinsey
30th November 2014, 05:31 PM
1630hrs. All finished and buttoned up!! Woo hoo! No parts or bolts left over either.....bonus!

Took it for a test drive around the carpark and the clutch is as smooth as a babys bum. Changes gears smoothly and engages 4WD.

Now for the blue slip and then rego almost two years since I took it off the road.

Parksy
30th November 2014, 07:44 PM
Nice work! Not the only one that did a gearbox install today...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/EB9ECEC4-D3E5-47FC-A986-3F7122FF1955.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/EB9ECEC4-D3E5-47FC-A986-3F7122FF1955.jpg.html)

rkinsey
1st December 2014, 09:49 AM
Nice work! Not the only one that did a gearbox install today...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/EB9ECEC4-D3E5-47FC-A986-3F7122FF1955.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/EB9ECEC4-D3E5-47FC-A986-3F7122FF1955.jpg.html)

Bloody hell Parksy! you did yours on the floor?

I'm sore all over from the past two days squatting under the GQ but I had a hoist to work with and power tools.

Mate, I take my hat off to you. Well done

Cheers,

Rob

Parksy
1st December 2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks rob. Yep I'm bloody sore also. Not doing it again any time soon.

cgm
1st December 2014, 09:05 PM
... almost two years since I took it off the road. ...

Well done Rob. It's gotta feel good to be getting it going again.

rkinsey
1st December 2014, 10:48 PM
Thanks rob. Yep I'm bloody sore also. Not doing it again any time soon.

I hear ya there.

Next time I drop a motor I will definitely check the flywheel, clutch plate and pressure plate to see if they are still good or need work/replacing....lesson learnt.

rkinsey
1st December 2014, 10:51 PM
Well done Rob. It's gotta feel good to be getting it going again.

Thanks cgm,

I would need surgery to remove the smile on my face at the moment!

I am now planning the replacement of the engine in my Ford Explorer. (it never rains....) bloody thing threw an oil pump two weeks ago. It is the spare car while I get the Patrol back on the road but it could of at least waited until after Christmas.....

Stropp
2nd December 2014, 12:06 PM
Here you go Stropp and BA.

I found the problem......

wtf that looks dodgy

Stropp
2nd December 2014, 12:10 PM
well done mate on persevering, hope she flys thru the pink slip.