PDA

View Full Version : Routing wiring to the roof... How?

Agronaught
27th November 2014, 11:51 AM
How have people routed wiring to the roof, power to the roof rack etc without compromising weather seals etc.

I need to route power for lights, coax and control wiring for a HF antenna etc.

Cheers

threedogs
27th November 2014, 11:57 AM
some follow the snorkel ,mine comes out the door at the B pillar
terminating in a 50amp anderson plug

the evil twin
27th November 2014, 12:03 PM
I like to use the "up the back of the snorkel route", there is a handy void behind the LHS bonnet hinge that can be exploited.
If you don't have a snorkel then the rain gutter channel is OK for small gauge wiring

My next most fav is up the roof rack ladder if you have one

There is also the option of drilling a hole in the B pillar and using a cable gland for sealing.
I'm not a big fan of that as it potentially compromises the B pillar strength but done correctly is OK

After that it is pretty much a matter of coming up with a method around the rear window or door area.
I saw one very neat job the used the existing cable run to the big barn door then broke out of the door with a similar rubber boot near the top hinge

Agronaught
27th November 2014, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a snorkel or ladder. While there may be a snorkel in the future, it's in the future.

I have run some coax through the bottom drain/plug on the rear drivers side quarter panel where the jack lives, feeding up along the hinges, but it is untidy.

Bloodyaussie
27th November 2014, 12:33 PM
Ask mudski what he did with his.

threedogs
27th November 2014, 12:39 PM
I think MEGO drilled his roof and fitted a gland its under his rack and hardly noticable

mudski
27th November 2014, 05:35 PM
Ask mudski what he did with his.

Edit : found the pics...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52041&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52042&stc=1

lucus30
27th November 2014, 07:42 PM
One day I will do this. I was planning on running a chunky power cable up and then some 7 core trailer wire also so i can use that to switch some relays that are contained in a weather proof enclosure mounted under the rack,
My thinking is that i can then individually switch up to 7 lights

4bye4
27th November 2014, 08:32 PM
I am thinking but haven't done it yet, of mounting weather proof socket somewhere so I can unplug the roof rack if I need to remove it. Something like a trailer socket.

HuskyInAuz
27th November 2014, 09:22 PM
I am thinking but haven't done it yet, of mounting weather proof socket somewhere so I can unplug the roof rack if I need to remove it. Something like a trailer socket.
There are a number of marine watertight sockets that will do the job handily but not drilling a hole in the roof suggested by others maybe the better way to go. (aka, snorkel)

Stropp
27th November 2014, 09:27 PM
Mine has a hole in the roof under the roof rack and a rubber gland that is siliconed as well for safety and I have a plug to be able to pull it apart, I also have one down the back of the snorkel for the solar panel.

mudski
27th November 2014, 11:15 PM

Thats how mine is. you just can't see the plug in the pic. I used a waterproof two pin connector.

Agronaught
28th November 2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks gents, lots of food for thought there.

aazn
22nd December 2014, 03:11 AM
i ran one up the windscreen for a customer before.. he had 4 spot lights and it drew too much power. we ended up cutting out some of the sikaflex holding his windscreen in, put the 8GA power wire in and sikaflexed it shut again...
not the best thing to do but thats how he wanted it.. wouldnt do it to my own car though.

Agronaught
22nd December 2014, 09:58 AM
That doesn't sound like such a great idea imho.

Drewboyaus
22nd December 2014, 10:42 AM
That doesn't sound like such a great idea imho.

No. He's just after the manuals. I hope he enjoys them...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Steak
6th January 2015, 10:54 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a snorkel or ladder. While there may be a snorkel in the future, it's in the future.

I have run some coax through the bottom drain/plug on the rear drivers side quarter panel where the jack lives, feeding up along the hinges, but it is untidy.

I have done this exact same thing with a 20mm peice of pvc conduit bent to then join onto the roofracks just above the gutter. I will be replacing it with a 20mm peice of steel conduit painted black later this week, should blend in nicely. I will post pics when I have some