PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be patrol owner..once I decide which one to buy!

Shellbo
26th November 2014, 10:12 PM
Hi
We are looking at buying a nissan patrol to tow a Jayco expanda caravan and take our family of four on a 3month play around Aus.
We are down to two cars, both diesel....2004 automatic with a new engine (new engine has done 50,000ks), but don't know too much about its history.
Or a 2007 manual with 175,000ks which has just come back from a 3 month 4wd trip around Aus (including Gibb River Rd)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

macca86
26th November 2014, 10:19 PM
Short answer I'd go the crd zd30 over the di zd30

Shellbo
26th November 2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks Macca...any particular reason?

macca86
26th November 2014, 10:31 PM
Better reliability it's a newer car will have a full service history rather than taking a its a rebuilt motor as truth etc you never know

Shellbo
26th November 2014, 10:47 PM
Better reliability it's a newer car will have a full service history rather than taking a its a rebuilt motor as truth etc you never know

The guy selling the '04 with the new motor says he has receipts for it. Installed by a nissan dealer, so I'm pretty sure that he is legit. about it.
I agree that the newer car is usually better, but I wasn't sure when a new engine was put in?
What about manual v auto? Especially for towing a van?

growler2058
26th November 2014, 10:50 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard

macca86
26th November 2014, 10:52 PM
If under 1500-1800kg the auto should be fine the manual for heavier towing

my third 256
27th November 2014, 07:49 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard

Dhuck
27th November 2014, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
27th November 2014, 08:33 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

BigRAWesty
27th November 2014, 08:34 AM
I've never heard of a Nissan dealership doing an engine change. Unless that person has deep deep deeeeeeeeep pockets.
The new common rails I think came out around 07 so before you buy make sure as my choice would be the 07 also.
In SA here if your with the raa they do an inspection of private sales cars before you buy. Not sure about other states but maybe worth its while.

Anyway welcome. And be sure to do a trip tread for us to follow

Shellbo
27th November 2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
I also like the idea of the newer model, but the fact that it has just done a hard trip (3-4 months off-road) makes me a bit nervous
Yes will certainly have it inspected before we buy - thanks

threedogs
27th November 2014, 09:17 AM
Welcome to the forum mate enjoy

macca86
27th November 2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
I also like the idea of the newer model, but the fact that it has just done a hard trip (3-4 months off-road) makes me a bit nervous
Yes will certainly have it inspected before we buy - thanks

So you know it can do the trip and make it back with out drama so it can do it again! People here do extreme tracks on weekends then head out on these big trips. As long as you keep maintence up no worries

4bye4
27th November 2014, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the forum and almost welcome to Patrolin. I have a 2005 3ltr with 185 ish K on it and no problems. I guess the "new motor" will depend on who built it and what series specification it was built to. It would seem that the GU 2 1nd 3 still had issues, but the GU4 motor which I have - not so much.
Sorry - not much help. I guess you have to look at the rest of the vehicle as well. BTW my brother in law recently did the Gibb River Rd in a 2003 Landrover and did no damage. The Gibb River Rd is not a truck killer, provided it is driven properly.

Stropp
27th November 2014, 11:44 AM
G'day mate and welcome, go the 2007 less likely to have problems

the evil twin
27th November 2014, 12:19 PM
Is the 2007 a CRD or a Di (the CRD came out mid '07 so could be a few Di 07's about)
Is the 2004 a Nissan Crate motor IE new or some sort of reco jobbie?
How heavy is the van?

The auto's kill the manuals for ease of towing altho you sacrifice some kilo's in rating.
The CRD's are a better engine choice.
I had a CRD manual and loved it but towing or gnarly off roading means you need to concentrate on keeping the bugger in the torque band and the auto is a better match to the engine

I wouldn't worry about the 07 having been offroad a bit, indeed I like to see that.
The Nissan drive train and suspension is tough as nails.
If it has been abused then it is pretty easy to spot as it will have the crap beaten out of it underneath

Shellbo
28th November 2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks everyone.
The new motor is a nissan one, put in by a nissan dealer, but I don't know what model it is.
The 07 is a CRD
The van weighs 2,300kg at its heaviest.
We will mostly be driving on roads as the van can't do anything too crazy. Down the track we may do a small amount of 4wd without a van looking for camp spots.
Thanks so much for your input

Bigcol
28th November 2014, 12:51 PM
welcome Shelbo,
I would suggest, as your towing a 21' go with the manual.
the auto would be better for towing, but it is rated below what you will be towing - so that kills the auto out of the equation
no amount of WDH will change that

the newer on - 07 -(I am guessing you have photo's ) if it has already done a large trip - it is possible it has some of the extras still fitted (which will be a bonus)

plus newer car............

if you do have Photo's flick a couple up of each?

cheers

Bigcol
28th November 2014, 01:09 PM
also, out of curiosity, have you been over to
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/

there is some good info over there for your van - if you've not already been there......

Sherro
30th November 2014, 09:39 AM
G'day mate welcome to the forum.

jaisout
1st December 2014, 03:12 PM
try and stay away from the earlier zd30, they dont always stay working for a long time.

Welcome to the forum

Gaspar
8th December 2014, 03:40 AM
Welcome Shellbo!

MEGOMONSTER
19th December 2014, 06:01 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Automan
20th December 2014, 06:42 PM
Definitely the CRD. Newer technology and better fuel economy especially towing a heavy load.