PDA

View Full Version : Coil spacers

BigRed95
24th November 2014, 10:56 PM
Hi,
This has probably been addressed a thousand times but as I am new I am still learning to navigate the forum. So if you can direct me that would great.
I have a 2 inch lift on my GQ with King Springs and Ironman shocks. Im looking at putting 25mm spacers in the coils to reduce some of the sag. Does this affect the shock absorber in any real way?

happygu
24th November 2014, 11:59 PM
It wont affect the shockers..... Coil Spring Spacers sit at the top of the spring, so they act as part of the spring.

There are two main things to consider.

The first, which wont be a concern to you with additional spacers, is to make sure that the spring set and shockers are matched so that full droop on the shocker keeps the springs retained so they don't fall out. You can get Spring retainers to help with this problem too, but as I said, this wont affect you in this situation.

The second thing that can affect your shockers is the amount of up or down travel you have. The idea is to have around the same amount of down travel as up travel, so that with your truck sitting normally, the shocker is sitting around the middle of its stroke, so that you have full compression and droop movement.

Rock Trol
11th January 2015, 09:51 PM
If you are compensating for sag to get the car level again then there are no problems. After I added rear bar and drawers my GU, it was lower at the rear by a few mm. I added 30mm spacers to the rear and it has brought the car up to the correct height. No problems so far, including a Simpson trip.

Drewboyaus
11th January 2015, 11:31 PM
If you are compensating for sag to get the car level again then there are no problems. After I added rear bar and drawers my GU, it was lower at the rear by a few mm. I added 30mm spacers to the rear and it has brought the car up to the correct height. No problems so far, including a Simpson trip.

Personally, I would rather swap out the rear springs for ones with the appropriate load rating in this instance or add airbags rather than using coil spacers......

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rock Trol
12th January 2015, 10:19 PM
The springs are quite stiff as the car is ex Telstra and they install ARB heavy duty (400kg) springs . I suspect that the soft part of the spring is not strong enough for the weight at the rear end and they sag until they get to the second heavier duty stage of the spring. Then again I am not exactly sure how the two stage springs are supposed to work.

I am thinking of getting rear springs custom made from a local spring works so that they will work with what I have. The problem with the current setup is that they are too stiff when the car is not heavily loaded and it skips around at the rear. When I did the Simpson it was over 3 tons loaded and I had the best ride that I ever had from the car. It soaked up all the bumps, washouts and dunes and never bottomed out. Handled well and real comfy. Then I got home, unpacked and that was the end of that story.....

Would getting taller but softer rear springs give me the best of both worlds (load carrying & comfort)?