PDA

View Full Version : Is a late RD28 gearbox compatible with an early RB30

mudnut
24th November 2014, 09:16 PM
After having to change out a gearbox and having trouble with the second box, I am looking at selling my two boxes.(one would be partially rebuilt) and putting a stronger unit in.

As an RD28 is basically a re-engineered RB30 block, the box should fit. I was wondering if the the GU's had an upgraded box fitted to handle the higher horsepower. The Ratios would be slightly different too, wouldn't they?

mudnut
28th November 2014, 10:17 AM
"Nobody knows the trouble I've seen. Nobody cares." - Princess Vespa (Daphne Zuniga) Space balls.

Bump.

Alitis007
28th November 2014, 10:21 AM
Not sure between rd28 and rb30 but I would be looking at putting a gearbox from an r33 skyline with a rb25, that would be far superior to the rd's or mx5 and even the rb30 turbo mx7 gearbox and will bolt up to the back of the 30 no dramas.

nissannewby
28th November 2014, 10:34 AM
Rb25 will bolt to the gearbox of the rd28. Plenty of high hp rb30/25s running the rb30/rd28 gearbox with out an issue.

As for compatibility the earlier box could be slightly different I know the 4.2 boxes are very similar but in the gu the gear stick is in a different location. Whether the top can just be swapped over I don't know but I would imagine the 2.8 would be similar.

mudnut
29th November 2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks blokes. I must have struck another brummy box. I am still waiting for a mate to have a look at the original unit. I've read that there isn't much you can do internally to upgrade them either.