PDA

View Full Version : Changing rear inner oil seal..does this look right?

tallman
24th November 2014, 06:13 PM
Just in the process of changing out the left rear inner rear oil seal in my GU. There seems to be some scouring of metal around the metal in front of the seal, does this look alright or is that a problem...thanks.

tallman
25th November 2014, 04:18 PM
Surely someone here has replaced one of these.

mudnut
25th November 2014, 04:27 PM
If the bearing is ok, repack it with with as much good quality grease as you can. (I use Innox mx8 because it is High Temp, High pressure and water resistant.) I put it all back together and the outer seal has held out okay.

When you slide the axle back in, do not let it rest and slide on the new seal.

tallman
25th November 2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks...I know how to fit it just the metal markings outside of the seal area dont look right. Looks like there was some sort of sleeve that has worn down, you can see what is left of it right up against the housing around the seal, pic 2 close up you can see it.

tallman
27th November 2014, 08:32 PM
BumpBumpBumpBump

mudski
27th November 2014, 09:02 PM
Yeah it looks like something was spinning on there. Pic 2 I can see it. It there any wear marks on the nut on the axle shaft. Might just be a casting defect.
Did you end up pressing the bearing off the shaft? Or just a clean and regrease?

Clunk
27th November 2014, 09:05 PM
Yep can see the scoring but can't tell you whether it's a problem or not though

pearcey
27th November 2014, 10:57 PM
G`day mate .
That part of the axle is cast then machined, when they do the first cuts they run the tool through that area to clean away any flashings or casting that is protruding in to the specified area that is to be machined.
Going by the photos the tension spring which is behind the seal and gives the seal tension on the axle has popped out or is broken, if it is broken it may have got caught up on the nut or lock washer and while the axle is spinning done the marks in the housing.
These springs have a habit of popping out while being installed or when the axle is slid back in.HINT when installing new seal put some grease on the spring to hold it in place .