PDA

View Full Version : 2003 GU 3,0lt diesel - ECU confused

Beucam
23rd November 2014, 07:12 PM
Hi,

I have had a steep learning curve in last few weeks with this truck.
Was performing well, went away to Ballina for a long weekend during G20. A noise started under the hood, lights flashed intermittently on dash. On the way home the engine warning light came on, and we crawled home, struggling to get 90 on flat road and at the sight of a hill, dropped to 60.

Anyway we made it home. I changed the alternator on Monday. Since then, she has been smokey, taking forever to warm up adequately to go up the drive - a climb of about 2feet. Yes once warm she went okay, with engine warning light on. Did research into scan tools, but discovered that she has the OBD II plug but is not wired accordingly. Found an old thread by Hodge on how to read faults by bridging terminals 1 & 8, then counting the flashes in two stages . Fault was 0707 - fuel injector circuit, or poor fuel quality.

I started doubting the fuel quality at the local servo - Matilda. Ran the main tank empty, refuelled with BP. Problem of engine warning light still coming on, although engine performed a bit better before engine warning light came on. Did oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter service - did note a bit of snot in the fuel filter. Anyway still struggling to get up to 90 on motorway this morning.

In a session of checking fault and resetting it (0707-still) I accidentally touched the wire bridge to the trucks
body after connecting to terminal 1 and small flash and no gauges. I tried starting and she started 1st go, I then proceeded to drive home - Best the truck has ever performed, no gauge to see revs or speed. I could still monitor boost through boost and pyro gauge. She flew up the hills, accelerated like never before.
Got home found I had blown the fuse for the " meter" 10amp, number 28 in fuse cluster and the sub tank light would not go off. Eventually removed cover to get a look at the relays. I recall someone saying change the blue relay as test.
Sub tank light went off, now to check vehicle performance on way to work in the morning.

Maybe the relay has been the problem since those days....here is hoping as I am at wits end.
Main dash fuse goes".......engine runs and performs like a new vehicle.!!!!!:Bang HeadBang HeadBang HeadBang HeadBang Head

threedogs
23rd November 2014, 07:20 PM
Yendor or ET are your guys for this one , is the blue relay the EMC
relay they say you can swap with the air con relay for testing purposes
Good to hear you sort of have it sorted

Beucam
24th November 2014, 08:13 AM
Greetings all,

Driving to work this morning, what a pleasure. Like driving a truck with a NEW lease on life. Would love to say it is all sorted, but will wait a few more days and take a longer trip than work (12km).
I will try attach a pic showing the GUIII ZD3.0lt fuse panel. This pic shows the 3 blue relays - IGN (Left), Blower (middle) and AC (right). I swopped the IGN and the Blower.
Would appreciate the opinions of ET and Yendor, as I am totally baffled - a relay can have that much influence on the motor performance.

Where can i buy another relay, apart from NISSAN.
Tx,
Shane

threedogs
24th November 2014, 08:24 AM
You could try Mudski for the relay, thats the relay I was referring to,
so its the ignition relay. Nice to know and also to carry one as a spare

Beucam
24th November 2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks TD, have just sent PM to Mudski.

Will swop them back today and see if problem is still there with old relay - just to confirm that relay is cactus.

Tx,
Shane

motoracer
21st August 2015, 07:00 AM
Hi Shane,

I've been having a 0707 error now for the last week. Curiosity. Was the relay the ticket?

Tim

mudski
21st August 2015, 10:03 AM
Hi Shane,

I've been having a 0707 error now for the last week. Curiosity. Was the relay the ticket?

Tim
Just swap the blue relays over mate and find out. All the blue relays are the same so you wont hurt anything.

motoracer
23rd August 2015, 05:01 AM
Just swap the blue relays over mate and find out. All the blue relays are the same so you wont hurt anything.

Oh I will. I'm just traveling right now. First thing when I get back. I'll post results here. I'm actually leaning towards bad fuel in my case.