PDA

View Full Version : Rough ride

p_irving87
21st November 2014, 11:25 AM
Hi all,
I have a 1990 GQ Td42, the road I travel to work is sealed but some parts are very rough, potholes etc... Now I know it's an old 4x4 I don't expect it to ride like a Bentley, but it seems a bit too rough? I'm going to replace the suspension with a 2" lift kit soon...could it just be the suspension or what other things could be the cause?...bushes? Cab mounts?...Etc? Or is it fairly normal for an old GQ to be really rough. Cheers :)

rusty_nail
21st November 2014, 11:37 AM
is the suspension aftermarket? if so it could be that the suspension has been changed to suit a heavier load such as a trailer being on, etc? i know that heavier weight rated springs will stiffen up your ride considerably?

p_irving87
21st November 2014, 12:01 PM
is the suspension aftermarket? if so it could be that the suspension has been changed to suit a heavier load such as a trailer being on, etc? i know that heavier weight rated springs will stiffen up your ride considerably?

Not sure, can't see what brand or anything cause they are so scratched up etc...but they are standard height and the rest of the vehicle is completely standard. Although it does have an electric brake system fitted..

rusty_nail
21st November 2014, 12:08 PM
Not sure, can't see what brand or anything cause they are so scratched up etc...but they are standard height and the rest of the vehicle is completely standard. Although it does have an electric brake system fitted..

its probably had the springs changed for a heavier setup. i know that my old patrol had towing springs fitted and when it was unloaded it was rough as guts. it was like a rolls royce when it was all loaded up though hahaha:

p_irving87
21st November 2014, 02:28 PM
Yeah fair enough ...well like I said I'm gonna put a new lift kit in it anyway so if that doesn't solve the issue no biggie haha, .but hopefully it does fix it...cheers mate :)........little bit off topic but with the steering dampner, do I get a normal heavy duty one or a return to center one?? Thanks again

Clunk
21st November 2014, 03:26 PM
Yeah fair enough ...well like I said I'm gonna put a new lift kit in it anyway so if that doesn't solve the issue no biggie haha, .but hopefully it does fix it...cheers mate :)........little bit off topic but with the steering dampner, do I get a normal heavy duty one or a return to center one?? Thanks again

An rtc steering damper is probably down to preference, some folk love them, some hate them. They do have a tendency to mask any issues though, such as steering wobble. Personally, I like the stiffer feel that I got while steering but I ended up bending mine, so got an adjustable dampener instead, just so I could stiffen up the steering to how I liked it.
Would I buy another rtc again..... Probably not