PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold problems

Young1
20th November 2014, 01:33 PM
Hi all,
Andrew here, I'm new to the world of 4x4, just purchased a 08 patrol 3lt TD, thing was whistling like a bird (bought it off Graysonline cheap) so anyway I’ve replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and seems to be fine now.. Can anyone tell me (or send a link to previous thread) why these do this.. Also why do they block the EGR?

Rock Trol
20th November 2014, 05:12 PM
Hi Young1. The exhaust manifold on the zd30 can warp due to the heat. If new gasket fixes problem and does not reoccur then manifold is ok and everything is good. If problem resurfaces then you will need to get manifold machined. A friend of mine had to get this done. The dump pipe is only 1 3/4 at the turbo and goes straight into the cat which is restrictive. Thus lots of heat in that area of the engine.

megatexture
20th November 2014, 05:25 PM
Yea I had mine machined under warranty as it would whistle also. Unfortunately I can't help with what it would cost but nissan needed the car for 2 days to do it..it needed to be out sourced so I guess it could possibly be done in a day if they have the facilities In house.

Young1
21st November 2014, 07:11 AM
Hi guys, yeah manifold was bent like a banana, so I had to get it machined ($100).. Would you guys recommend blocking the EGR?

threedogs
21st November 2014, 09:02 AM
Fit some gauges to monitor what the motor is doing and have a read about "NADS" which will have heaps written on blocking the EGR,
Most here would have it blocked I'd imagine, Its all about longevity of the ZD 30 motor

Young1
25th November 2014, 09:48 AM
Cheers for the info.