PDA

View Full Version : Electrical kit?

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 02:17 PM
Can anyone recommend a good electrical kit to purchase that includes say fuses, heat shrink, crimpers, lugs, tester etc for the back of the patrol when camping if something small needs fixing?

jack
19th November 2014, 02:43 PM
Hi Billy, I just made up my own -easier.

4bye4
19th November 2014, 02:51 PM
Hi Billy, I just made up my own -easier.

Ditto to above

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 02:53 PM
either you have a shopping list that i could use?

I'm looking through (http://www.vks737.on.net/pdfs/survival.pdf) this at the moment but am hoping for more a more specific description of items..

4bye4
19th November 2014, 03:32 PM
Hi Mate,
Your kit will depend on what you are doing. At all times in my toolkit I carry Long nose pliers, side cutters, set of small screwdrivers, test lamp (home made basicaly a 12V globe with a probe on it,) A packet of 5 of each kind of fuse in the patrol, some CRC or WD40, electrical tape (black), a box of mixed wire joiners and that about it.
If we are going off road for a few days I will add solder, soldering iron, reel of wire, heat shrink, more crimp connectors and fuse wire that I csan use to repair fuses if required, more pliers, and a multimeter.
Don't forget if you have a soldering iron you will need spare butane for it or a 12v one or 240 volt supply if you choose that type. Same for heat shring you need a heat source to seal it so I ususlly just carry tape around in the car and fix properly when i get home. I also have matches in my camp kit, another box in my tool kit and usually some in the dash or glovebox. Don't forget extra matches as sometimes butane soldering irons and other tools won't auto light. AND *I always carry a pocket knife*

In your other post I suggested a fuse in your battery feed line. You could use a circuit breaker (resetable) in this application if you wanted.

threedogs
19th November 2014, 04:24 PM
Billy have a walk around Jay Car or get bits and pieces from ebay.
Highly recommend the ALDI soldering iron, great piece of kit.
Check the camping list thread its a fortnight long lol
First bit you need is a manual to suit your model

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks 3D will have a look!

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 04:47 PM
Hi Mate,
Your kit will depend on what you are doing. At all times in my toolkit I carry Long nose pliers, side cutters, set of small screwdrivers, test lamp (home made basicaly a 12V globe with a probe on it,) A packet of 5 of each kind of fuse in the patrol, some CRC or WD40, electrical tape (black), a box of mixed wire joiners and that about it.
If we are going off road for a few days I will add solder, soldering iron, reel of wire, heat shrink, more crimp connectors and fuse wire that I csan use to repair fuses if required, more pliers, and a multimeter.
Don't forget if you have a soldering iron you will need spare butane for it or a 12v one or 240 volt supply if you choose that type. Same for heat shring you need a heat source to seal it so I ususlly just carry tape around in the car and fix properly when i get home. I also have matches in my camp kit, another box in my tool kit and usually some in the dash or glovebox. Don't forget extra matches as sometimes butane soldering irons and other tools won't auto light. AND *I always carry a pocket knife*

In your other post I suggested a fuse in your battery feed line. You could use a circuit breaker (resetable) in this application if you wanted.

4bye4 - thanks heaps - i'll add this to the list!

kevin07
19th November 2014, 11:19 PM
Can anyone recommend a good electrical kit to purchase that includes say fuses, heat shrink, crimpers, lugs, tester etc for the back of the patrol when camping if something small needs fixing?

your in need of a dick smith store

mudski
20th November 2014, 09:15 PM

Haha. I just take a short length of wire, some lecky tape, side cutters, pointy nose and some screw drivers.

lucus30
20th November 2014, 10:43 PM
Yeah mate I take so much crap with me. My mates know it too so they take bugger all. I'll go through what I have tomorrow if you like? And post it up

lucus30
21st November 2014, 03:33 PM
Well as promised this is all the crap I take with me. Obviously this is just a rough list as i sometimes take stuff out or add it depending where i'm going

Radiator Hoses
Spare Hose clamps
Spare Belts

Penrite Hpr15 oil
2 Litres of water

Jumper Cables
Funnel
Spare Misc Nuts,Bolts and screws of varying sizes
Compressor
Tyre Deflator
Tyre Lever
Tyre repair kit
Spare Valve stems
Digital Tyre pressure gauge
Gorilla tough tape
Rescue tape
Para cord
Rope
Ratchet straps
Foldable shovel
Long handle shovel
First Aid Kit
Emergency Blanket
Torch
Snap Light light sticks
Nissan Bottle Jack ( Left in Car)
High lift jack (occasionally when i can be bothered chucking it in the high left holder)
Exhaust Jack
Fire extinguisher
Pocket Knife
Small Tarp

Electrical Tape
Misc Heat Shrink
Misc Battery Lugs
Misc Terminal connectors and lugs
Fuses x2 of each
Cable Ties
Misc Lengths of Electrical cable 18AWG-6AWG
Spare relay

1/2 inch breaker bar
1/2 inch, 3/8 and 1/4 Socket set with spanners
Mash Mallet
Rubber Mallet
Hammer
Hacksaw
Screw driver set including stubbys
Ratchet Crimper
Butane soldering Iron
Butane torch
Pliers, pointy, circlip,
Side cutters, small and big
Digital Clamp Multimeter
Allen Keys
Stanley Knife
Tape Measure
Shifter big and small
Scissors
Wire Brush
Files
WD-40
Length of fencing wire
Tube of Marine sikaflex
Ockey Straps
siphon hose

Snatch strap x2
Winch extension strap
Snatch Block
Tree Trunk protector
4 x bow shackles
Equaliser strap
Winch Damper
Leather gloves
1t Block and tackle
Water Bra
Chainsaw with oils,spare chain etc

4bye4
21st November 2014, 03:41 PM
Hell mate, I would invite you everywhere and then I wouldn't have to take anything. Seriously - well equiped.

lucus30
21st November 2014, 03:46 PM
Hell mate, I would invite you everywhere and then I wouldn't have to take anything. Seriously - well equiped.

Surprisingly this stuff doesn't take much room.

1 X Toolbag
1 X Recovery Bag
1 X Large Canvas Bag with most of the bigger stuff in it
and then all the small stuff some goes in the glove box, others in kincrome bags under the passenger seat
Chainsaw goes in the back or on the roofrack depending on where we are going
and compressor i normally have on the back passenger floor

I'm sure there is still stuff I have forgotten about or stuff that others take and I don't

threedogs
21st November 2014, 04:16 PM
I take it you have a drawer system, thats one reason I dont like them,
Carting gear all the time when its not needed, but impressive list.
I take a bandaid a tin of baked beans and some VB,lol no I dont

EDIT Can I request you remove the ocky straps they are an accident waiting to happen
Please throw them in a bin asap

4bye4
21st November 2014, 04:19 PM
WD40, Self vulcanising tape, superglue and pocket knife. And Jack Daniels in case I can't fix it.

lucus30
21st November 2014, 04:23 PM
Nah 3D's i dont have a drawer system. I just chuck the bags in when I go. But if i did have drawer system and left all this stuff in it wouldn't be a big deal as its not a daily driver for me.
All the patrol does is camping trips, 4wd trips and occasionally picks crap up from bunnings that is too big for my other car.

Still gets a fair bit of use though. Seem to go 4wding, camping and stuff fairly often these days

macca
21st November 2014, 05:40 PM
What do you use the 1T Block and Tackle for?

Seems like a hell of a list, but going isolated its not.

Probably had a similar amount for the CSR, took a 4" grinder, 75 x 3 flat bar and a bush welder that was used twice believe it or not, bloody trailer (not mine either).

I have been ruthless about stuff and will try to reduce the amount / weight next time.

Agree about traditional ocky's, there is a rubber strap we use on our work vans that are much safer. Still have to make sure the hook is secure before pulling it tight. They start to split across well before they break so for that reason they are better. Mackay was a brand. This is the type of thing we use;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GA31354-22-1893-31-RUBBER-TIE-DOWN-STRAP-/361110978418?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5413e43f72

lucus30
21st November 2014, 07:06 PM
What do you use the 1T Block and Tackle for?

Seems like a hell of a list, but going isolated its not.

Probably had a similar amount for the CSR, took a 4" grinder, 75 x 3 flat bar and a bush welder that was used twice believe it or not, bloody trailer (not mine either).

I have been ruthless about stuff and will try to reduce the amount / weight next time.

Agree about traditional ocky's, there is a rubber strap we use on our work vans that are much safer. Still have to make sure the hook is secure before pulling it tight. They start to split across well before they break so for that reason they are better. Mackay was a brand. This is the type of thing we use;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GA31354-22-1893-31-RUBBER-TIE-DOWN-STRAP-/361110978418?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5413e43f72

Its a last resort hand winch

4bye4
22nd November 2014, 03:57 PM
This is my basic get out of trouble kit. More is added depending on where we are going and for how long.
A cheap socket and hand tool set

Ratchet set

Metrinch socket set - the best thing ever invented for rounded and strange size bolts.

Screwdrivers

Electrical connectors and fuses

All fits in this together with overalls and gloves. Also carry Tape,WD40, Spray lube and a pocket knife.

Fire extinguisher and first aid in the car at all time,

This is what is always in the car. More is added if off road or extended travel

threedogs
22nd November 2014, 04:04 PM
Macca pointed it out ,,weight how much do you take or really need ?
Suppose its better to have it on board and never use it, cause the trip
you leave it behind will be the one its needed on,
Travelling heavy causes so many dramas,, but what can you do?
other than share the spares

4bye4
22nd November 2014, 04:07 PM
Never had to use the fire extinguisher or the first aid kit thank goodness, but I wouldn't be without them.