PDA

View Full Version : HIDs Causing Electrical Issues.

Dales300exc
19th November 2014, 01:27 PM
Hey guys and girls, prior to my diesel conversion I was running HID converted IPFs with no issues. I went to put them back on earlier this week on the same relay as my lightbar and issues have arisen. When the HIDs were turned on the wipers would do a single cycle, dip them, put them back on, wipers do a cycle.

With just the lightbar not an issue.

So I removed the HIDs from the circuit, straight to the battery, still wipers do a cycle. Removed lights from car so not touching anything, straight to the battery. Wipers still cycle.

Tried a mates set of HIDs, wipers still do a cycle.

Any ideas?

I have no issues with anything else running off it (intercooler water pump and fan, rear LEDs, light bar).

Agronaught
19th November 2014, 01:35 PM
Some HID bulbs can cause EMI which can impact other systems. Seems odd that it would affect the window wipers though.

Do you have interference on the AM radio bands ?

Some chokes (ferrite cores) on the power line at the lights may help. (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LF1292)

Dales300exc
19th November 2014, 01:48 PM
Unsure about radio interferance as I cracked the shits and took em off.after trying my mates and it doing the same.

Id do my na naa if my wipers came on down the highway everytime I flicked the high beams on.

I just wanted some longer distance light and these were pretty mint.

Other light options?

the evil twin
19th November 2014, 05:03 PM
Sounds like an earthing issue to me after the engine change.
Possibly the wiper doesn't think it is parked when the very high current draw to the ballasts on the HID's firing up.

Also, have you used the Wiper Motor 12 Volts for any accessory relay switching?
If so disconnect that and give it a try

Dales300exc
19th November 2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts guys!

Wiper wiring is unchanged factory stuff. All earths were cleaned before install.

megatexture
19th November 2014, 08:35 PM
Have you checked what you lights add up to and if your relay will be sufficient.not likely the cause of your issue but worth checking

Dales300exc
19th November 2014, 09:23 PM
Yahhhhhh its a 40 amp relay. 5 amp draw on the light bar and peak 8.5 amps each ballast. So 22 amps. 6mm feeding the relay. 25 amp fuse.

nissannewby
20th November 2014, 12:24 PM
Where were the lights earthed on all your tests? Do you have an earth lead between the body and chassis?

Dales300exc
20th November 2014, 01:39 PM
Originally hids were earthed to the body near the rear wiper amplifier. I then moved that direct to the battery to take out any chance of it being an issue through the body.

Earth lead from battery to chassis engine mount, which loops to engine. Earth lead from battery to a paint removed body bolt. Large gauge cable to both.

nissannewby
20th November 2014, 01:42 PM
What about ballast location? And do the ballasts have their own earth or is it integrated into their loom?

Dales300exc
20th November 2014, 03:37 PM
Ballast were originally screwed to the rad support. But I have since put them inside the light. Their earth is integrated.

Mates hides had exactly the same effect on my wipers. Odd one.

Yendor
20th November 2014, 10:23 PM
Hey guys and girls, prior to my diesel conversion I was running HID converted IPFs with no issues. I went to put them back on earlier this week on the same relay as my lightbar and issues have arisen. When the HIDs were turned on the wipers would do a single cycle, dip them, put them back on, wipers do a cycle.

With just the lightbar not an issue.

So I removed the HIDs from the circuit, straight to the battery, still wipers do a cycle. Removed lights from car so not touching anything, straight to the battery. Wipers still cycle.

Tried a mates set of HIDs, wipers still do a cycle.

Any ideas?

I have no issues with anything else running off it (intercooler water pump and fan, rear LEDs, light bar).

Was the ignition on or off when you tried this?

Do you have another front wiper amp you can try?

Dales300exc
21st November 2014, 10:51 AM
Ignition on otherwise the wipers are not getting power and do not cycle.

Pretty sure wipers are earth switch so would lead you to believe somehow the wipers are being earth.

Naah unfortunately no other wiper amp go try. Might be able to rob me mates when I get a chance.

aazn
22nd December 2014, 03:15 AM
i think its your wiper stalk not getting enough power, so when you turn on anything it dips for a bit in power and gets it back again, depending on how your car is programmed factory (new to patrols) when you turn your wipers off it does a final wipe.

this final wipe may be your issue.. but if not ignore this post.