PDA

View Full Version : Redarc Tow Pro Brake controller.

Cuppa
17th November 2014, 09:34 PM
Does anybody have one? How do you find it? Did you fit it yourself?

I’m going to have to buy a brake controller to use with the TeaVan & this one appeals mainly because of the minimal real estate it takes up in the driving cab.

http://www.redarc.com.au/images/uploads/images/EBRH-ACC_Instruction_Manual.pdf

Looking at the above link, it looks like installing & calibrating it should be a reasonably easy diy job.

I’ve only ever had small trailers with hydraulic override brakes before. None for off road use.
The Redarc stuff talks about ‘auto’ use on bitumen, & manual for off road. In particular on downhill off road sections. Can anyone explain to me the benefit of being able to apply the trailer brakes separately to the vehicle brakes in these sort of situations?

BigRAWesty
17th November 2014, 09:50 PM
Inlaws have one in the prado.
Can't fault it. Simple install, easy to use.
Can't go wrong

These units work off a, for simpler terms, gyro.
It picks up when your breaking by reading forces.
The greater the force the more it applies. In relation to your settings of course.

So if your in a decent down a hill. Slow and steady. The forces of you stopping and bugger all and the "gyro" might not read it. So the manual mode is pretty much an on and off. Once you break the trailer breaks.

That's the theory behind it. Inlaws have never used the manual setting. The auto does quite well.

Cuppa
17th November 2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks Kallen, that makes sense.

pearcey
17th November 2014, 10:22 PM
G`day Cuppa
Have never installed or used one as I retired before they were released.
Have a pedantic mate with one and is towing close to 3 ton and he is very pleased.
The only advice I can give you is if he`s happy it`s good.
On the instillation always make sure the unit is earthed back to the battery and the trailer is earthed back to the battery.

megatexture
18th November 2014, 12:23 AM
It will probably be in auto full time and its a progressive manual override as needed, when going from blacktop to dirt to sand you may wantneed/to adjust the sensitivity to suit, if you don't the trailer may skid on dirt under medium braking or dig in on sand.

megatexture
18th November 2014, 12:52 AM
Ok I was having issues loading the manual but got it now .. So my understanding is in auto you have no manual override? So either full auto or full manual ?
I know your looking for compact cuppa but personally I'd be looking for one with the ability to manually hit the trailer brakes independently of the car in an emergency.
like a wet slippery section of track that you may slide on causing the trailer to jackknife, a quick hit of the brake and it will have the potential to pull the car inline and straighten you up and slow you down enough to regain traction.

Edit: the T- van looks bloody good also cuppa nice find

the evil twin
18th November 2014, 01:15 AM
snip...
Does anybody have one? How do you find it? Did you fit it yourself?

Looking at the above link, it looks like installing & calibrating it should be a reasonably easy diy job.

The Redarc stuff talks about ‘auto’ use on bitumen, & manual for off road. In particular on downhill off road sections. Can anyone explain to me the benefit of being able to apply the trailer brakes separately to the vehicle brakes in these sort of situations?

I use Tekonsha's but nothing wrong with the Redarc for a Tvan, Cuppa.

A minor correction to a previous post is that the Redarc units use tri axis Accelerometers not Gyroscopes but no biggee.

In auto mode the unit is a fully proportional automatic controller IE it applies the trailer braking effort in the same proportion as the vehicle braking effort without any intervention by the user.

In user mode the braking effort is controlled by the user IE it isn't automatically proportioned so needs to adjusted every time the surface or the incline changes.

In manual override it acts as a drag on the trailer to very effectively dampen trailer sway IE it brakes the trailer but the vehicle can run on.
Very handy if you get gusty winds or some other force that destabilises the trailer.

Redarc or Tekonsha is kinda Ford or Holden really
I find Tekonsha easier to use but not as versatile to mount

megatexture
18th November 2014, 01:27 AM
Only real difference I see is tekonsha's manual override is proportional ( minute to full lock up) to how far you slide the lever whereas redarc is on or off switch and will apply "light vehicle braking" to the trailer

the evil twin
18th November 2014, 01:45 AM
Only real difference I see is tekonsha's manual override is proportional ( minute to full lock up) to how far you slide the lever whereas redarc is on or off switch and will apply "light vehicle braking" to the trailer

Pretty much.
I prefer the tekonsha slide idea and also the ability to tap the button on the top of the Primus to boost the braking without having to adjust the calibration.
I think it is simply because that is what I am used to tho.

megatexture
18th November 2014, 01:51 AM
You must have a newer unit than mine as I've just got the two dials on the side and the man override

BigRAWesty
18th November 2014, 07:17 AM
I use Tekonsha's but nothing wrong with the Redarc for a Tvan, Cuppa.

A minor correction to a previous post is that the Redarc units use tri axis Accelerometers not Gyroscopes but no biggee.

In auto mode the unit is a fully proportional automatic controller IE it applies the trailer braking effort in the same proportion as the vehicle braking effort without any intervention by the user.

In user mode the braking effort is controlled by the user IE it isn't automatically proportioned so needs to adjusted every time the surface or the incline changes.

In manual override it acts as a drag on the trailer to very effectively dampen trailer sway IE it brakes the trailer but the vehicle can run on.
Very handy if you get gusty winds or some other force that destabilises the trailer.

Redarc or Tekonsha is kinda Ford or Holden really
I find Tekonsha easier to use but not as versatile to mount

Accelerometers. That's the word I was looking for.

Cuppa
18th November 2014, 01:28 PM
I knew what you meant Kallen.

The proportional manual override sounds worthwhile, but for a big car there is very little available space in the cab chassis driving cab which does make the Redarc attractive. After years of old hack box trailers with override brakes that rarely worked I suppose either Tekonsha or Redarc could prove to be a revelation!

jack
18th November 2014, 01:41 PM
Hi Cuppa,
I've got the Tekonsha and used the manual override on a couple of steep descents on the Bloomfield Track. Very happy with it and highly recommend it.
As for mounting it in the cabin it sits next above my left knee, doesn't get in the way and easy to operate.
Let me know if you want to have a look at it before you make a final decision.

Sir Roofy
18th November 2014, 01:57 PM
hi cuppa,
i've got the tekonsha and used the manual override on a couple of steep descents on the bloomfield track. Very happy with it and highly recommend it.
As for mounting it in the cabin it sits next above my left knee, doesn't get in the way and easy to operate.
Let me know if you want to have a look at it before you make a final decision.

x2 cuppa i have one as well and happy with it
pulls our camper up nicely

threedogs
18th November 2014, 03:24 PM
X 3 on the Tekonsha very happy and easy to use as well
under the dash on left hand side

Had one on my other 4x4 as well.
great for downhill braking too highly recommend

megatexture
18th November 2014, 07:34 PM
X4 lol and sounds like everyone puts it in the same position.

Pokey
19th November 2014, 12:03 AM
X5 . I have one in my patrol and an older model in my Triton. I tow a 640 hard top Bar Crusher and in the Triton it's super important to be able to pull it up. The manual operation is good to override any swaying. Never had an issue with either Tekonshas.

Cuppa
28th November 2014, 10:38 AM
I’ve had good service from both Redarc & from Autolecau in Bairnsdale over the years so I’ve bought a Tow Pro from them. Have to collect it from the Post Office later today.

A question to those of you with brake controllers - the manual says “Always refer to vehicle manufacturer specifications regarding the correct connection point for the brake light signal wire” . Can anyone tell me where I would find these manufacturer specifications, or alternatively tell me where you connected your controller to the brake light circuit?

Ta
Cuppa

the evil twin
28th November 2014, 11:17 AM
I’ve had good service from both Redarc & from Autolecau in Bairnsdale over the years so I’ve bought a Tow Pro from them. Have to collect it from the Post Office later today.

A question to those of you with brake controllers - the manual says “Always refer to vehicle manufacturer specifications regarding the correct connection point for the brake light signal wire” . Can anyone tell me where I would find these manufacturer specifications, or alternatively tell me where you connected your controller to the brake light circuit?

Ta
Cuppa

Lots of vehicles now have bulb fault detection and/or cruise control brake sensing and/or other issues that mean you cannot use the brake pedal switch.

I recently wired my new Ford Terry and my personal preference is to pick up the brake sense from the trailer plug on any vehicle now (even my 99 GU).
That ensures that you are connecting after any of the necessart "black box" trailer circuit isolaters which means no need for relays, load resistors, isolators or whatever.

You have to run the blue Trailer Brake power wire from the trailer plug to the Controller so it is no biggee to run a second lighter gauge wire as well for the sense

Bigcol
28th November 2014, 01:07 PM
x 6 or whatever - left knee - Tekonsha

all of the reports I have heard on the Van forum I am on, say the Tow Pro - "is the way to go".............

from a Vanning perspective, the ability to manually adjust the breaking force for the van while in an emergency (like the Tekonsha) is the least of your worries at that time (on bitumen)
the New Tow Pro will automatically throw the brakes on in an emergency faster than you would be able to - think it, react to it, and apply it -

however, for steep, slow descents, a manual over ride is good.

you will be happy with the Tow Pro

once fitted, you need to find a long straight road (with minimum traffic) for it to self set.....
as you drive along you will notice the light will say "auto un set" or something........as you drive along, it will apply the brakes at certain points and certain pressures, then the light will go to the "ready for action" colour
(not 100% sure of colours and meanings, as I dont have one - only what I have read about them)

but, as I said, I have not heard of anyone complaining as yet

cheers

jack
28th November 2014, 05:33 PM
Hi Cuppa,

The son in law fitted mine but you're welcome to check it out if you wish (we might both learn something).

Crate
28th November 2014, 08:43 PM
the New Tow Pro will automatically throw the brakes on in an emergency faster than you would be able to - think it, react to it, and apply it

Sorry Col but the tow pro will not brake for you in an emergency as far as I am aware, only the AL-KO ESC would do that, and that is separate to the brake controller.

The tow pro is a good compact brake controller though I found it complicated to set up and hard to tell the different colour lights.

Let us know how you go cuppa.

Cuppa
28th November 2014, 09:03 PM
Hi Cuppa,

The son in law fitted mine but you're welcome to check it out if you wish (we might both learn something).

......PM sent.......

Bigcol
28th November 2014, 10:59 PM
Sorry Col but the tow pro will not brake for you in an emergency as far as I am aware, only the AL-KO ESC would do that, and that is separate to the brake controller.
The tow pro is a good compact brake controller though I found it complicated to set up and hard to tell the different colour lights.
Let us know how you go cuppa.

the AL-KO ESC as well as the Dexter sway control, are just that - to control the swaying whilst towing
http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/content/news/2014/towing/another-anti-sway-option-for-caravans-47315

the Red Arc Tow Pro is specifically for braking whilst towing - not stability control -
http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/content/news/2014/towing/no-stopping-redarc-tow-pro-47290

two entirely different kettle of fish.............

if you brake suddenly, the Tow Pro will compensate for your actions and apply the brakes - thats what it is there for............

the evil twin
28th November 2014, 11:32 PM
Advantages of the Redarc over the Tekonsha - more versatile installation IE the electronics can be at any attitude and remote to the user control

Advantages of the Tekonsha over the Redarc - better (much better IMHO) manual sway control or overide, simpler user interface and easily swapped from vehicle to vehicle as Tekonsha sell the wiring and cradle seperately if req'd.

Al-Ko ESC - isn't a true ESC in the full meaning of the term so, IMHO, the manuf is using a bit of advertising spin there. Basically it is an automatic version of the Tekonsha manual override.

Dexter - best of the bunch for anti sway as it is closest of the lot to a true ESC in that it uses yaw sensing and differential braking. Therefore, the trailer will track inside the vehicle path and not pull the arse end about as much as the Al-Ko or Tekonsha method.
Fairly expensive and complex tho.

Well, that is my understanding of it all at least...

Bigcol
28th November 2014, 11:34 PM
Advantages of the Tekonsha over the Redarc - better (much better IMHO) manual sway control or overide, simpler user interface and easily swapped from vehicle to vehicle as Tekonsha sell the wiring and cradle seperately if req'd.

the biggest is the cost................
I thought it was a phone number they were quoting, until I realised there was a $ sign in front if it

the evil twin
28th November 2014, 11:44 PM
the biggest is the cost................
I thought it was a phone number they were quoting, until I realised there was a $ sign in front if it

Gold, old mate... literally... :clapping:

Crate
29th November 2014, 06:19 AM
Advantages of the Redarc over the Tekonsha - more versatile installation IE the electronics can be at any attitude and remote to the user control

Al-Ko ESC - isn't a true ESC in the full meaning of the term so, IMHO, the manuf is using a bit of advertising spin there. Basically it is an automatic version of the Tekonsha manual override.

Dexter - best of the bunch for anti sway as it is closest of the lot to a true ESC in that it uses yaw sensing and differential braking. Therefore, the trailer will track inside the vehicle path and not pull the arse end about as much as the Al-Ko or Tekonsha method.
Fairly expensive and complex tho.

Well, that is my understanding of it all at least...

Yep mate agree 100% on your statement on the tekonsha vs redarc.

I have had some experience with both the Dexter and ESC, they are both effective. I would say the ESC is actually better though, they both run accelerometers/gyroscope's to detect the yaw the difference is the dexter activates LH/RH brakes individually (like a car ESC) where as the Al-Ko activates both brakes at once. Since we are talking about caravans not cars however activating brakes individually is not a advantage because the main intention is to brake the van independent of the tow vehicle to reinstate stability in the system, this is more effective with both brakes applying.

Both are not cheap but very good insurance!

macca
29th November 2014, 07:00 AM
Gee cuppa, I would have thought the redarc was a preference, the tokensha is a pain to locate . We have tekensha p-3 prodigy? in our work vans and do all we need and well. The Ute has a simple, older version redarc. Purely because it has a remote knob to operate it. The new redarc has all the features and more of the tekonsha, so would work a treat.

Cuppa
29th November 2014, 01:08 PM
I have seen Apollofish’s Tekonsha this morning. Mounting options & cost difference aside, it seems that, as others have already tried to tell me, that the only real difference compared to the Redarc Tow Pro is the Tekonsha’s ability to use the slide as a hand operated brake to control the van’s brakes independently of the tow vehicle’s brakes. This may be useful to those who tow vans through ‘serious’ 4wd situations on rare occasions, but for me with the relatively light weight & good towing characteristics of the Tvan I have my doubts as to whether it is a function that I would ever use. In those sort of situations a very light touch on the vehicle brakes (only enough to light up the brake lights as opposed to to retard the vehicle) will apply a preset braking force to the van, & I *think* that this preset force can be adjusted with the control knob during use, effectively giving the same function as the Tekonsha’s slider, but switched on & off with the braking foot.

Not being an experienced tow-er - at least nothing more than lightweight trailers, I have never had any need to control sway, & given that the Tvan is no heavier than many box trailers (850kg Tare) with sensible loading I still don’t expect sway to be an issue I will have to deal with. Towing it home last weekend I experienced what other Tvan owners report ..... “Wouldn’t know it was there”.

Cuppa

pearcey
29th November 2014, 04:58 PM
G`day Cuppa
Spot on there mate, I have towed a camper trailer all over this country and have never used the slide.
I have only once used it with the van on and that was in Tassie where we had to stop halve way up a steep incline as the bloke in front was sliding back (this was on a bitumen road ). he missed a gear and when he got it in he stalled the engine, with all wheels locked he was sliding back down the hill towards us. I stopped and the same thing happened to us, we started to slide backwards so I used the slide, OK it locked the van brakes but that didn`t help too much as the vehicle with its wheels locked had gathered enough momentum to break the vans traction as well. 40 mts later we came to a stop had to used low range to get mobile up the hill. Worst thing was I had no control as with the wheels locked no steering, just had to wait for things to stop moving as if I had released the brakes to gain control we would never had stopped it and probably endede up off the road and over the edge.Sorry I digress,over 20 years of towing work trailers ,camper trailers and caravans I`ve only had to use it once. Also it panic situations most people would forget that its there.
Beers and Cheers Pearcey

macca
29th November 2014, 05:22 PM
Bit confused...

Doesn't the Redarc in manual operate the same as the teckonsha slide?

Push the knob in and twist to the desired level of brake.

Cuppa
30th November 2014, 10:38 AM
I’ll tell you once I have it all installed Macca, It’s possible that it works as you suggest, but my belief is that in manual mode you still use the foot brake & as soon as the brake lights come on (i.e. very light/ineffectual vehicle braking) the van brakes come on at the pre-set dialled in setting. I am uncertain if turning the knob once braking has commennced will increase/decrease van braking in the same ay as the Tekonsha slide does.

big_fletch
30th November 2014, 12:17 PM
I’ll tell you once I have it all installed Macca, It’s possible that it works as you suggest, but my belief is that in manual mode you still use the foot brake & as soon as the brake lights come on (i.e. very light/ineffectual vehicle braking) the van brakes come on at the pre-set dialled in setting. I am uncertain if turning the knob once braking has commennced will increase/decrease van braking in the same ay as the Tekonsha slide does.

I have installed quite a few of these units now and am planning on getting one soonish as well.
In automatic mode you dial in your level of braking and the unit has roughly a half second delay when applying the brakes as it reads how heavy you have hit them. Pushing the button on the brake unit will manually apply the brakes and yes you are able too adjust the braking level while doing this just like the Tekonsha slide.
Manual mode works just like the Tekonsha slide as well. After depressing the brakes only enough too bring the lights on the unit will brake the camper at your preset level, once again you can still depress the knob on the unit and adjust braking level on the go just like a slide.

I have driven multiple vehicles with big caravans with these units on and in automatic mode once set, if you brake lightly you don't have the pulling feeling of the van dragging you backwards.
But if you stand on the brakes in an emergency the car and van pull up amazingly quick

Colininchch
7th December 2014, 04:52 PM
Cuppa,

The guys at Tracktrailer recommend the Tekonsha. I had a Rearc in my FJ Cruiser (the direct type) and I didn't like it. Have just bought a 98 Patrol and need to fit a controller so was going to go with the Tekonsha. The Tvan tows brilliantly though.

Cuppa
7th December 2014, 08:23 PM
Cuppa,

The guys at Tracktrailer recommend the Tekonsha. I had a Rearc in my FJ Cruiser (the direct type) and I didn't like it. Have just bought a 98 Patrol and need to fit a controller so was going to go with the Tekonsha. The Tvan tows brilliantly though.

I suspect that that recommendation is one which Track have made previously & if still current may change when the TowPro has been around for a while. I think there is no question that the previous Redarc brake controller & the Tekonsha units were ‘chalk & cheese’, but the TowPro has changed that.

So far I’ve fitted the Towpro control unit ( behind the driver side kick panel) & the control knob (into one of the small knockout panels on the right of the steering wheel) plus run wires into the engine compartment. Still to run wires to the rear of the vehicle. If anyone else is planning to fit one of these, I would advise using a vertical rather than horizontal knockout panel for the control knob if you can. Because the knockout panels faces are curved using a small horizontal one can cause some grief, it did for me, although I eventually overcame it.

Bigcol
8th December 2014, 01:01 PM
hey Cuppa - have a look at this......
you may have already sorted it, but,.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTy9vdnm5g&index=3&list=PLFBHMwxYtgVNhaPnfAru4M7weIJaBX-Rb

TimE
25th July 2015, 03:38 PM
Digging up an old thread.

Cuppa how does the Towpro perform? Are you happy with it?

I ask because I'm looking at a Vista RV that has electric brakes, so I to will need a brake controller, and favour the Towpro for the same reasons you did.

Cuppa
26th July 2015, 06:10 PM
Hi TimE,
Yes I am happy with it, I find I can stop quicker with the Tvan hitched up than I can solo. To date we’ve really only done a few short trips with the Tvan & I continue to adjust the dial settings each time, but think set at around 5 or 6 (out of 10) is best so far. Given the light weight of the Tvan compared to the 3 tonne monsters some folk tow using the towpro I was a bit surprised I needed more than 2 or 3, but I guess this has more to do with the brakes suiting the van. If I turn it up above 8 it’s easy enough to lock up the Tvan brakes. I haven’t really used it in ‘manual’ mode (other than to test it worked), & although I doubt it’s likely I’d ever get a sway up with a Tvan, I was quite reassured by the ‘light braking’ which can be applied to the van wheels only just by pressing the redarc knob when in auto (proportional) mode. I’ve never had a Tekonsha or any other brake controller,but would be happy to buy a Towpro again. It was easy to install &to calibrate.

I got shown through a VistaRV recently - very very nice. I do wish they had indoor cooking though. A definite step up from the Tvan albeit at a small weight & size cost. The folk who showed be theres were on their 2nd one. The first they had bingled, not a huge amount of damage, but because the things are so solidly made they are almost impossible to repair, so the insurance company wrote it off & they got a new replacement .......... so make sure you have good insurance.

TimE
27th July 2015, 10:15 AM
Cuppa, thanks for that.

Yep, good insurance has always been a priority. Have little sympathy for those that "loose the lot" and cry about not being insured and expect a hand out (you gambled, you lost).

Alex93
24th July 2017, 11:12 AM
just another bit of insight is that the red arc is able to be manually braked in automatic mode by pressing the knob in. It will brake at the setting(number) you have it set at. I use it on steep hills all the time while in auto

Alex

PS i know the thread may be dead but for other users

Yeti's Beast
28th July 2017, 07:46 PM
I fitted one to my car last weekend and found it worked a lot smoother than the previous Techonshi unit. I've run out of places to fit the rotary dial so I placed it under the sub tank switch for ease of use.
[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cuppa
2nd August 2017, 05:55 PM
A couple of times recently when braking on gravel/corrugated roads I've briefly locked the wheels of the Tvan & the Towpro has then recalibrated itself. Not really a problem, but don't know why it's done it.

GeeYou8
3rd August 2017, 08:32 AM
A couple of times recently when braking on gravel/corrugated roads I've briefly locked the wheels of the Tvan & the Towpro has then recalibrated itself. Not really a problem, but don't know why it's done it.
Unit can't tell what surface it is baking on, I have turned the dial down a bit when not on sealed surface, also have to turn down to 1 or 2 when there is no car on the trailer & it is too light.
Graham

Yeti's Beast
3rd August 2017, 09:18 AM
It recommends in the instructions when off road to use User Controlled Mode (Green LED) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170802/69d938d76f03828de73df2cdeacaba76.jpg

Cuppa; maybe the unit was shaken so much by the corrugated road that it didn't know what direction it was traveling so it recalibrated once things calmed down a bit
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cuppa
3rd August 2017, 10:11 AM
I suspect I just had it turned up too high as GeeYou8 suggests. Hadn't changed it from when on bitumen. Operating with blue light (changing to red when brakes applied). Following locking the trailer wheels under moderate braking on loose surface ( gravel/slowing for cattle grid) the light changed to flashing green, but returned to blue after driving on a short distance ..... which I believe is what happened when I first calibrated it.