PDA

View Full Version : Pat Callinan - no Patrol?

Patrol-Guy
17th November 2014, 07:50 PM
I knew he was selling his but just assumed he would go the Y62. Now he's got a Nissan twin cab thingo....

How disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing how the Y62 performed.

NissanGQ4.2
17th November 2014, 07:57 PM
Obviously he thought the new Patrol was sh!t

Patrol-Guy
17th November 2014, 08:03 PM
Either that or Nissan gave him the twin cab instead of the Patrol. More advertising for Nissan. Spose they've sold a billion Patrols cause of him.

katwoman
17th November 2014, 08:10 PM
And yet, he doesnt even do his own videos any more either..
Not happy about the 'what your 4x4 says about you' story in his latest " Unsealed " mag.

Winnie
17th November 2014, 08:12 PM
And yet, he doesnt even do his own videos any more either..
Not happy about the 'what your 4x4 says about you' story in his latest " Unsealed " mag.

Very obviously written by a Toyota owner.

lucus30
17th November 2014, 08:25 PM
Very obviously written by a Toyota owner.

Yeah I thought the same thing

growler2058
17th November 2014, 08:26 PM
I haven't read it yet and probably won't now

nissannewby
17th November 2014, 08:35 PM
Who reads magazines anymore.....

megatexture
17th November 2014, 08:36 PM
What's a summary of the article? I've not read it but you have me curious

Maxhead
17th November 2014, 08:38 PM

This is the one: http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue005/#137

katwoman
17th November 2014, 08:40 PM

Basically, Toyota owners and their cars are the ducks nuts, Nissan owners are wanna be toyota owners who couldnt afford a toyota, so had to make do with a nissan. I didnt read any further than that..

megatexture
17th November 2014, 08:57 PM
Didn't expect him to say that considering he drives them..

nissannewby
17th November 2014, 09:06 PM
Surely there would be some kind if financial gain from it all.....

Seems all the same for Aussie mags they start great and slowly turn to shit.

megatexture
17th November 2014, 09:08 PM
Maybe he's hoping toyota notice and poach him to drive there's

lhurley
17th November 2014, 09:12 PM
Obviously hasn't seen the reports of the 3L hilux motors blowing up and the v8 diesels constantly breaking down.

Bacho86
17th November 2014, 09:12 PM
I thought it was a pretty poor article as well - the whole magazine isn't the greatest (but still free I guess) - fairly sure the article was written by an editor or staff and not Pat himself

katwoman
17th November 2014, 09:32 PM
Who reads magazines anymore.....

One of the simple pleasures in life,
Kicking back with your feet up on the desk, reading a mag.............................

When you're supose to be working

nissannewby
17th November 2014, 09:35 PM
Which ones are you reading that are a simple pleasure?

katwoman
17th November 2014, 09:38 PM
Which ones are you reading that are a simple pleasure?

Any thing with colour pictures, mostly.

Stropp
18th November 2014, 01:00 AM
Any thing with colour pictures, mostly.

Page 3 girls mmmm

katwoman
18th November 2014, 03:33 AM
Page 3 girls mmmm

Eerrrr, not quite.

rkinsey
18th November 2014, 10:54 AM
Eerrrr, not quite.

Hahahaha... Stropp you wally!

I don't think Pat would take the new Y62... they start at $90,000.00 !!!!!!!! for the base model! I went onto the Nissan website and went through "Build your Patrol" and just added simple things and finished off with a price tag of over $135,000.00

I wouldn't take that into the bush either.

Cheers,

Rob

Maxhead
18th November 2014, 03:39 PM
Hahahaha... Stropp you wally! I don't think Pat would take the new Y62... they start at $90,000.00 !!!!!!!! for the base model! I went onto the Nissan website and went through "Build your Patrol" and just added simple things and finished off with a price tag of over $135,000.00 I wouldn't take that into the bush either. Cheers, Rob

You can pick them up for $65k which is a very attractive price for a nice vehicle. Obviously the result of their sales results but a great buy for someone looking.

I'd have one in a heart beat:)

.....on the move

Winnie
18th November 2014, 03:47 PM
You can pick them up for $65k which is a very attractive price for a nice vehicle. Obviously the result of their sales results but a great buy for someone looking.

I'd have one in a heart beat:)

.....on the move

Same here! Would make a great shopping trolley

threedogs
18th November 2014, 04:00 PM
Obviously hasn't seen the reports of the 3L hilux motors blowing up and the v8 diesels constantly breaking down.

That was on a need to know basis,
why would you want to go touring in a very thirsty V8 petrol anyway??

taslucas
18th November 2014, 05:13 PM
That was on a need to know basis,

Its allllll about the roooost maaaaate!

Maxhead
18th November 2014, 05:26 PM
Same here! Would make a great shopping trolley

I want to make a very tough looking shopping trolley:)

Around town they would be very thirsty I would think but on the highway they are pretty good and towing a 3t caravan they are comparable to the V8 diesel Toyos but without burning the oil at the same time:)

I still want one...LOL

Patrol-Guy
24th November 2014, 08:28 PM
Ok so I may have jumped the gun. Just saw Pat's second Ep of season 7 and he's in a Y62 so all is good.

Stand down.

happygu
24th November 2014, 11:05 PM
Great ... may have to start watching again to see how his goes .....

Patrol-Guy
1st June 2015, 07:43 PM
Looks like Pat has decided to ditch the Patrol after all. I might still watch the show but it won't hold the interest I had in it.

Very disappointing Pat. . . . .

Bloodyaussie
1st June 2015, 07:47 PM
A f$%king beetle..... they are shit.

MEGOMONSTER
1st June 2015, 07:49 PM
I must admit, it has a very good motor and extremely fuel efficient.

Bacho86
1st June 2015, 07:49 PM
Geez I wonder how much $$ were involved in that deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudski
1st June 2015, 07:51 PM
A f$%king beetle..... they are shit.
Yes they are, but when you get it for free, you'd drive one too. Id drive a GQ if it was given to me.[emoji1]

Patrol-Guy
1st June 2015, 07:53 PM
His DVD and mag sales will drop off cause I won't buy me anymore....

Winnie
1st June 2015, 07:55 PM
I must admit, it has a very good motor and extremely fuel efficient.
And no low range...

MEGOMONSTER
1st June 2015, 07:57 PM
And no low range...

Didn't know that.

Patrol-Guy
1st June 2015, 07:59 PM
So what do you use when you don't have low range?

MEGOMONSTER
1st June 2015, 08:03 PM
So what do you use when you don't have low range?

I think they're permanent 4x4 or push button 4x4.

Rock Trol
1st June 2015, 08:10 PM
And no low range...

The 6 speed manuals do have a low range. It's the 8 speed auto that does not have a low range. They do have a torque converted that shits itself in about 7000 kms unless they have fixed it. Saw one broken down at Dalhousie springs in 2013. Had just failed after completing the Simpson trip and was towed in by an old 70 series petrol cruiser. Owner said this was the second converter to go on almost a new truck.

When I got back home I googled the problem and there was not much on it. Six months later I googled again and Ausamerok forum had many examples of them failing very early. Possibly the ones used to 4WD. Seems that the gearbox simulates low range by slipping the torque converter and that's why they overheat. Have not checked lately to see if VW has a fix. It all sounded like the ZD30 Handgrenade issue with owners in disbelief and other users blaming the owners for the problems etc.

heaths_gu
1st June 2015, 09:16 PM
Another issue with the auto is (i think) no center difflock. We took the new state emergency service's amarok out for a test run and got it bogged. I have a great video of it just sitting there with rear wheels spinning and absolutely no drive to the front wheels. We tried every button it had, but couldn't get any drive from the front wheels at all.

It did have drive to the front wheels before and after the bog hole though.

Hodge
1st June 2015, 09:16 PM
Good on him by accepting more $ from VW, than Nissan gave him. However, I'd love to see him go to some places with this thing, where he has previously taken his Patrol. Amaroks are not very offroad capable.
I had a chat to Pat at last years show, as mates son wanted a photo with him. He absolutely despises the 3L Patrols he whispered quietly. It gave them so much grief by the usual ZD30 faults, on many of their filming trips, But once again, it was for free, kitted out by sponsors so he just drove it and once it stuffed up, Nissan to the rescue .... so money talks bull$hit walks... (or drives in this case).

Rock Trol
1st June 2015, 09:27 PM
Good on him by accepting more $ from VW, than Nissan gave him. However, I'd love to see him go to some places with this thing, where he has previously taken his Patrol. Amaroks are not very offroad capable.
I had a chat to Pat at last years show, as mates son wanted a photo with him. He absolutely despises the 3L Patrols he whispered quietly. It gave them so much grief by the usual ZD30 faults, on many of their filming trips, But once again, it was for free, kitted out by sponsors so he just drove it and once it stuffed up, Nissan to the rescue .... so money talks bull$hit walks... (or drives in this case).

Pity he feels that way as I think he would have generated a few sales of the Y61. Mr cash for comment?
I understand the sentiment though as it diminishes faith in the ZD30 knowing that a lot of the niggling problems have been there for years with Nissan doing sweet FA to fix them. Leaking I/C's being one of them.

Hodge
1st June 2015, 09:39 PM
Oh he would have aided Y61 sales thats for sure. No doubt about that. After all that was the whole purpose of sponsoring him with a Patrol.

threedogs
2nd June 2015, 09:37 AM
Patrols being basically the last true off roader with a live front axle I think would sell itself.
If your into 4x4 why would you buy an IFS 4x4 with limited wheel travel.
Must admit they compensate that with lots of buttons to get you up a hill or down a gully.
Just look at all the initials behind some of the bigger 4x4s

Amorak dont even have a transfer case do they just the 8 speed box,
boy 1st must be very short

Punderhead
2nd June 2015, 10:55 AM
Patrols being basically the last true off roader with a live front axle I think would sell itself. If your into 4x4 why would you buy an IFS 4x4 with limited wheel travel. Must admit they compensate that with lots of buttons to get you up a hill or down a gully. Just look at all the initials behind some of the bigger 4x4s Amorak dont even have a transfer case do they just the 8 speed box, boy 1st must be very short

But most people doing true off-roading don't spend 50k+ on a car. At least I wouldn't. A gq will far outperform for far cheaper.

However, for touring, I want comfort, economy, power, and storage space. Which the Amarok has. I can easily get over the limited travel with a locker (if I'm forking out that much coin, I can afford one)

As for the no low range, 8 speed.
A patrol has a 4 speed auto box, and high/low range. Effectively 8 gears. They have just put it all into one package.

For touring, if I was buying brand new, I hate to say it, but I would probably buy a dual can over a patrol. (Tho probably not an Amarok)

Cheers

Rock Trol
2nd June 2015, 02:32 PM
The 8 speed uses 2nd gear to start under normal driving and has a couple of overdrive gears (I think). When in 4x4 mode it allows the box to access first but then slips the converter if it needs to crawl anywhere so its not a direct comparison to the 4 speed dual range Patrol.

I think for heavy 4x4 work it heats the converter up too much and that's why they had the failures. Not sure if still happening.

threedogs
2nd June 2015, 05:41 PM
But most people doing true off-roading don't spend 50k+ on a car. At least I wouldn't. A gq will far outperform for far cheaper.

However, for touring, I want comfort, economy, power, and storage space. Which the Amarok has. I can easily get over the limited travel with a locker (if I'm forking out that much coin, I can afford one)

As for the no low range, 8 speed.
A patrol has a 4 speed auto box, and high/low range. Effectively 8 gears. They have just put it all into one package.

For touring, if I was buying brand new, I hate to say it, but I would probably buy a dual can over a patrol. (Tho probably not an Amarok)

Cheers

Im not in the position to buy a $50k 4x4 even when I could I like you wouldnt, why would you.
you can trick up a much earlier model to what ever you want it to be, I like dual cabs but mainly full size like the patrol with the back cut
off, my friend has an extended dual cab and is the ultimate tourer imo.
The modern dual cab are useless IMO the top of the tubs are about 5ft high so makes it very hard to
load and un load. But as a tourer I think a dualcab with some sensible mods would be great, though not ideal IMO

Punderhead
2nd June 2015, 05:51 PM
. The modern dual cab are useless IMO the top of the tubs are about 5ft high so makes it very hard to load and un load.

Except I'm 6'6 so that doesn't bother me!

Ben-e-boy
2nd June 2015, 06:37 PM
And no low range...

The manual has low range. I have driven one

Ben-e-boy
2nd June 2015, 06:44 PM
Having driven cab chassis I dont think thay are that shit. I quite like it. The small motor took abit of getting used to in the low rpm as it is no TD. it drove well, handles well. It is big inside, the tray is huge. I would buy one before a 3L patrol any day of the week.

Rock Trol
2nd June 2015, 07:13 PM
The manual has low range. I have driven one

That's right, it's just the auto that is a little suss. Pat has been driving an auto on all of his shows so it will be interesting which model he choses from VW, or is offered by VW. He used to drive a Kia before the Patrol's from memory.

The only problem is that we will never get a truthful review on the performance of the "Rock" from what is being said on this thread.

Rock Trol
2nd June 2015, 07:17 PM
Having driven cab chassis I dont think thay are that shit. I quite like it. The small motor took abit of getting used to in the low rpm as it is no TD. it drove well, handles well. It is big inside, the tray is huge. I would buy one before a 3L patrol any day of the week.

The size of the Amarock is its main advantage. It bridges the difference between most Japanese utes and the Yank ones. I like a fourby with a wide stance as it is inherently more stable. Most jap utes are built on the 1790mm platform as is the Pajero/Prado. In Japan if a car exceeds this width they are in a higher tax bracket so most manufacturers try and make their domestic models narrower than this limit.

Hodge
2nd June 2015, 07:28 PM
Sat down with a few beers and watched some of his shows including the early 4wd action stint with Roothie where he drove a Suzuki.
And then some of the Patrol ones. I meant what i said earlier. I would LOVE to see him re-visit some places with the Amarok. He'd have no hope.

Rock Trol
2nd June 2015, 07:43 PM
I meant what i said earlier. I would LOVE to see him re-visit some places with the Amarok. He'd have no hope.

He might do some medium duty touring instead. Mind you, the V-dubs do have a good traction control system. If driven well they should be able to get to a lot of places. And if they have a few problems, well we won't know about it. ;)

Hodge
2nd June 2015, 07:46 PM
VW generally are quality vehicles aren't they.

Rocket55
2nd June 2015, 07:54 PM
He'll put or more to the point, his sponsors will put dual lockers in it like they did to his Patrol and Colorado. Twin locked he'll still go where ever he likes.

PS: do ARB do lockers for the Rock?, if not sponsorship opportunity for someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodge
2nd June 2015, 09:33 PM
He'll put or more to the point, his sponsors will put dual lockers in it like they did to his Patrol and Colorado. Twin locked he'll still go where ever he likes.

PS: do ARB do lockers for the Rock?, if not sponsorship opportunity for someone.

Yes they do a rear locker for them. Guy at work had one fitted. And he had issues with the auto, spent 2 weeks waiting for parts/service at VW. Overheating or something.
Poor bastard copped a huge tow bill from sheep yard flats to mansfield because of it. Eventually got rid of it, no idea why. Haven't seen him for a few months.

Edit: NO doubt they will kit that thing out pushed by sponsors.

gaddy
2nd June 2015, 09:45 PM
Good on him , he gets paid to do what we spend thousands to achieve ! Hell I'd even drive a great wall if they were picking up the bill !

Hodge
2nd June 2015, 09:47 PM
Good on him , he gets paid to do what we spend thousands to achieve ! Hell I'd even drive a great wall if they were picking up the bill !

Very true, good way to put it. Getting paid to go around Aus, all expenses paid probably by sponsors. Dream gig.

Punderhead
2nd June 2015, 10:12 PM
Very true, good way to put it. Getting paid to go around Aus, all expenses paid probably by sponsorsq. Dream gig.

Except he has to were ironed button up shirts everywhere. Deal killer for me hahaha

Cheers

93patrol
2nd June 2015, 11:15 PM
Probably pulled straight out of a plastic bag before the camera rolls. He might wear a wife beater everywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodge
3rd June 2015, 06:28 AM
Except he has to were ironed button up shirts everywhere. Deal killer for me hahaha

Cheers

Haha that wouldnt bother me. Few scenes here and there dressed like a city slicker, and the rest enjoy the luxuries.

Patrol-Guy
3rd June 2015, 08:31 AM
Haha that wouldnt bother me. Few scenes here and there dressed like a city slicker, and the rest enjoy the luxuries.

I wouldn't mind either if it was a short sleeved shirt but he wears long sleeved jobs.

threedogs
3rd June 2015, 08:47 AM
My only gripe if its that is the height of the tubs on these new dual cabs ,
I'm 6' and most tubs are arm pit high not very practicle, made worst by fitting a solid lid to them.
That alone will limit what you can take, but with the VW the performance is there , economy is there,
build quality is there, whats not to like,
If they are built anything like a hilux it will break is driven hard, imo

NissanGQ4.2
3rd June 2015, 09:51 PM
I say good on him regardless what he is driving.

The guy just signed a multi million dollar contract with Channel 10, and gets paid to tour around Australia, what more in life could one want. I would drive a Toyota if I got paid 2 tour around Australia in it, doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer to be in a GQ :)

Rocket55
4th June 2015, 07:26 AM
I wonder when the VW will hit the TV? The Sunday arvo show I see on free to air is a mixture of his Patrol and his red dual cab. Can't even remember if it's a Navara or a Colorado... Obviously not in the one show

Hodge
4th June 2015, 09:30 AM
It was a d40 Navara. The red one.

Hodge
4th June 2015, 09:31 AM
Not sure when the vw will hit the screens , but some posts on his fb page suggest people are still seeing him around Sydney in a grenade. So who knows.

NissanGQ4.2
4th June 2015, 09:36 AM
Not sure when the vw will hit the screens , but some posts on his fb page suggest people are still seeing him around Sydney in a grenade. So who knows.

Yes is he still currently driving his patrol around home

Rocket55
4th June 2015, 12:10 PM
It was a d40 Navara. The red one.

Ah ok then it's that other bloke on TV that has the Colorado. Thanks.

NissanGQ4.2
4th June 2015, 04:22 PM
Ah ok then it's that other bloke on TV that has the Colorado. Thanks.

Yeh Simone Christie from 4WDTV has the Colorado 7