PDA

View Full Version : Arb!?!?!

bishbashbosh
17th November 2014, 03:02 PM
Oh lordie.. I don't know how anyone could drop coinage at ARB!

I visited two different ARB's today searching for a product and there was a $100 difference between the two stores on the same product and a $100 price increase to the same product on the internet.. How can they have such price differences?

Agronaught
17th November 2014, 03:40 PM
I've never had a good experience with ARB. I can only assume they make all they need from commercial customers and people looking to drop $10K on mods in a single invoice.

SonOf
17th November 2014, 04:22 PM
Did you bring it to their attention?

If there is such a variance I always let em know and ask them why, makes for good replies and they at least know then that you have been researching and most likely know that there are good prices out there. Haggle and see how it goes.

Winnie
17th November 2014, 04:27 PM
Were they actual ARB stores or just ARB outlets?

Agronaught
17th November 2014, 04:52 PM
However I've had nothing but good experiences with TJM and other vendors. ARB don't want my money, no problem.

Hodge
17th November 2014, 04:54 PM
I'm gonna go against the general grain of this thread, because I've never had a single problem with our local ARB store. Blokes in there bent over backwards many times, helping me out, even with supplying and fitting non-arb products.
Just my 2c.

Irish
17th November 2014, 05:03 PM
Oh lordie.. I don't know how anyone could drop coinage at ARB!

I visited two different ARB's today searching for a product and there was a $100 difference between the two stores on the same product and a $100 price increase to the same product on the internet.. How can they have such price differences?

Which two stores?

If you think they are gouging, ring their head office and lodge a complaint.

mudski
17th November 2014, 05:06 PM
I'm gonna go against the general grain of this thread, because I've never had a single problem with our local ARB store. Blokes in there bent over backwards many times, helping me out, even with supplying and fitting non-arb products.
Just my 2c.

Yeah the bloke that you deal with Eirc is good. Can't think of his name. Then theres another guy in there, older fella, who wouldn't give you the steam off his piss.

Agronaught
17th November 2014, 05:21 PM
I've been to a couple of ARB 'Stores' and wasn't impressed. Of course it probably comes down to the sales staff at the individual stores.

macca
17th November 2014, 05:34 PM
Just my 2c.

Me too. It's easy to beat up on someone with your keyboard. They obviously are not all the same, luckily for me ours is great. I personally don't buy much of the ARB branded products. But they stock all sorts of good stuff and are a great bunch too.

growler2058
17th November 2014, 05:45 PM
Two I went to in SA were cocks and I haven't been to any ARB in 4+ years because of them

Maxhead
17th November 2014, 05:51 PM
Two I went to in SA were cocks and I haven't been to any ARB in 4+ years because of them

Same in Canberra, they won't be seeing me in their shop:)

Patrol-Guy
17th November 2014, 06:10 PM
Well since we are having this chat I have to say the guys at the Fyshwick shop are very good. Polite, helpful and knowledgeable about their products. I've spent a fees dollars there and always been impressed by their level of customer service.

threedogs
17th November 2014, 06:11 PM
What time you going to Coburg, Billy I'll see if I can get over

MudRunnerTD
17th November 2014, 06:11 PM
The ARB price is stipulated by Head Office and thier Nation Wide Price list. You should have no trouble matching prices regardless where you go. On that basis it can be tough to get a discount as the franchise price is set by HQ.

The price that was matched with the online price would be correct, if you got a cheaper price somewhere then be happy with that as he is doing you a Favour! Coming here and complaining about that makes no sense to me. Take the better price for sure.

growler2058
17th November 2014, 06:15 PM
The ARB price is stipulated by Head Office and thier Nation Wide Price list. You should have no trouble matching prices regardless where you go. On that basis it can be tough to get a discount as the franchise price is set by HQ.

The price that was matched with the online price would be correct, if you got a cheaper price somewhere then be happy with that as he is doing you a Favour! Coming here and complaining about that makes no sense to me. Take the better price for sure.

Move it into the angry thread Daz, I diont know how

Winnie
17th November 2014, 06:30 PM

Some people don't see it that way Daz...
Be happy one of them gave you a good price!

I have only been to two ARB stores for genuine inquiries and I walked out of one straight away and the other I have been back to several times. Not ARB's fault, the manager at one store was a jerk is all

growler2058
17th November 2014, 06:40 PM
Some people don't see it that way Daz...
Be happy one of them gave you a good price!

I have only been to two ARB stores for genuine inquiries and I walked out of one straight away and the other I have been back to several times. Not ARB's fault, the manager at one store was a jerk is all

Agree Poo. It just seems that "generally" people have found the staff to be cocks (my description) even at a 4wd show a few years back I thought their attitude there was R/S. Maybe they didn't like GQ's hahahahaha

mudski
17th November 2014, 06:56 PM
I've been to a couple of ARB 'Stores' and wasn't impressed. Of course it probably comes down to the sales staff at the individual stores.

Exactly. You will get this in any store really. It's just because their big name it makes the target on their back bigger. Like I said the guy Hodge is referring to is really great. But then you get people who just don't give a rats and just work their to get paid, without taking any care in the work they do.

bishbashbosh
17th November 2014, 08:56 PM
woooooo... sorry for the fire i just lit..

i've only been to these two stores and no other ones.. not going to say which ones, but maybe check the price to another store also as maybe the variation is to do with francise..

i would not comment on staff as i did not engage i simply browsed and noticed price differences and the massive markups compared to other places.. the same thing occurred at everybattery.. online prices cheaper by $20 with free delivery compared to the prices in the store and stock carried in store was basic.

3D not sure yet as i have dad down at the moment

megatexture
17th November 2014, 09:07 PM
I can understand the battery side as they are likely in a cheap warehouse with no sales staff or show room so the expenses would be a lot less and is reflected in the price

bishbashbosh
18th November 2014, 05:39 AM
the battery was being sold by the same company just not purchased through the franchise (high street store) but instead via the online store.. i just find it disheartening for the consumer who walks into the store without knowing of the better price.

MEGOMONSTER
18th November 2014, 06:14 AM

Hmmmmmmm.........

ARB hoppers crossing workshop burnt down last week.

bishbashbosh
18th November 2014, 08:14 AM
MEGA!!

Don't say stuff like that.. you'll have me wearing lipstick at the watch house..

:eek:

PS - Didn't ARB Hoppers used to be 4X4 Western?

MEGOMONSTER
18th November 2014, 09:16 AM
MEGA!! Don't say stuff like that.. you'll have me wearing lipstick at the watch house.. :eek: PS - Didn't ARB Hoppers used to be 4X4 Western?

Western 4x4 are now officially ARB .Hoppers Crossing. The fire was an electrical surge.

cgm
18th November 2014, 11:12 PM
I'll jump in here too. I'm changing diff ratios on my Jackaroo. Obvious time to think about a locker of some sort. I had a Lokka in last one in Saudi and bought a Spartan to put in the Patrol (left before I got it in).

Because I was really impressed with the overall experience and story when we did the factory tour I thought I'd check out the air locker. I was really thinking it might be an option. One of my mates had pointed out they had a special on. I went in all positive but came out wondering how they ever sell anything. There is no way I will ever go back.

Everything was just so negative. I've already got air with tank and cut out switch, but he had reasons why that wasn't any good and I really needed theirs or their would be extra charges. Also without theirs it wouldn't be safe coz I could actually switch it on going down the highway??? A bit of round in circles discussion about that. Then a whole bunch of discussion explaining about how hard it was to do the front diff on mine. In and out for adjustment as if I was meant to feel sorry for him doing my old crapper? Of course turns out he had no idea and was thinking of the diff in a totally different truck.

I just had impression that for sure the other "unknown" costs for seals and/or bearings etc if needed would really be needed. That last bit is not really fair as I don't really know that but when I finished I was just feeling down.

Then to finish it he qouted me the price without the special and I had to ask him if they had a special on. Seriously?

I bet the product is great but you know what I'm not buying.

jack
18th November 2014, 11:31 PM
Have to agree with you Cameron, they are disinterested and hopeless in the local ARB.
Looks like things haven't changed since I was in there a couple of years ago looking for an OME lift kit. All they could do was tell me how bad all their competitors products were, this us after I had to convince them I was a serious customer. I'm sure their product is good but why try and sell it by bagging the others?
Glad I went independent and haven't been back in the store since.

Stropp
19th November 2014, 12:40 AM

i've only been to these two stores and no other ones.. not going to say which ones, but maybe check the price to another store also as maybe the variation is to do with francise..

i would not comment on staff as i did not engage i simply browsed and noticed price differences and the massive markups compared to other places.. the same thing occurred at everybattery.. online prices cheaper by $20 with free delivery compared to the prices in the store and stock carried in store was basic.

3D not sure yet as i have dad down at the moment

Mate shop will always dearer as the overheads are higher than someone online who maybe has a small warehouse, I know there are lots of things people can buy online than through my shop ( not 4wd ) but I do talk to my customers and try my best to give good service as that's how I get sales. A lot of online stores don't offer that,My 2cents :)

Maxhead
19th November 2014, 05:55 AM
Same in Canberra, they won't be seeing me in their shop:)

Well since we are having this chat I have to say the guys at the Fyshwick shop are very good. Polite, helpful and knowledgeable about their products. I've spent a fees dollars there and always been impressed by their level of customer service.

I suppose it proves not everyone is a tosser in there...LOL

I was going to spend $12 grand there a while ago and the blokes at ARB wouldn't even give me 5 cents off the bill so I went to TJM instead and got a huge discount plus a heap off goodies thrown in to sweeten the deal. Happy days:)

MEGOMONSTER
19th November 2014, 08:10 AM
I've yet to experience anything bad with my ARB, discounts, help, free fixes, quick warranty fixes, quotes on other products, maybe because they were an independent prior to being an ARB store.
Although I have heard similar stories of the store having unsatisfied customers.

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 08:49 AM
Mate shop will always dearer as the overheads are higher than someone online who maybe has a small warehouse, I know there are lots of things people can buy online than through my shop ( not 4wd ) but I do talk to my customers and try my best to give good service as that's how I get sales. A lot of online stores don't offer that,My 2cents :)

Stroppy it was the same company in relation to the battery - The online price was cheaper than the online store price plus free delivery so you don't have to travel anywhere..

I'm more than happy to shop at the local high street store with higher price if the service and support is there.. can't beat a relationship..

Winnie
19th November 2014, 09:12 AM
Did you mention the online price to them? Surely they would match it? If not, stuff them!

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 09:51 AM
Did you mention the online price to them? Surely they would match it? If not, stuff them!

They gave me the more expensive price straight up as to what I saw to their online store.. so rather than say anything and give them my cash I went and ordered it from the head office online store who then send the order to the closet store.. funny thing is the guy that delivered it was the guy in the shop that i dealt with..

Drewboyaus
19th November 2014, 04:31 PM
I wonder if ARB (David) are checking this thread out? Might be worth hearing from them.
Personally, I have had rubbish service from the ARB franchise in Keilor but has been quite good at Thomastown and at Kilsyth.

Drewboyaus
19th November 2014, 07:10 PM
Everything was just so negative. I've already got air with tank and cut out switch, but he had reasons why that wasn't any good and I really needed theirs or their would be extra charges. Also without theirs it wouldn't be safe coz I could actually switch it on going down the highway???

I have to say, I have also encountered this attitude of "superiority" at ARB before, that if you don't do it by their text book your doing it wrong.....
I wonder if their position of making market leading products (generally) has contributed to a bit of an "Our chit don't stink" kind of thing going on and perhaps some training for their sales staff is required to demonstrate that in this "lifestyle" we enjoy, there are many ways to skin a cat and not everyone can afford the ARB burger with the lot.
Certainly a sale for a locker installed (without compressor, fries etc) is better than no sale at all. Perhaps they need to listen to what others are saying. That is the salespersons best tool....their ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

cgm
19th November 2014, 07:21 PM
I've yet to experience anything bad with my ARB, discounts, help, free fixes, quick warranty fixes, quotes on other products, maybe because they were an independent prior to being an ARB store.
Although I have heard similar stories of the store having unsatisfied customers.

Had another rant and must have pressed the wrong button and lost it :)

I think this pretty much sums it up. You can get good service from them , but it is not consistent and not a given. Clearly sometimes it is crap.

I think Stropp mentioned about building a relationship. Surely with our hobby (addiction) we'd be the ideal candidates to make a relationship with. Most of us convince ourselves, our Missus and even the dog that we really must have <insert latest item from list> and MUST have it before we go this weekend. (Ok, we never actually convinced the Missus, but she loves us anyway, pretends and goes along with it). I think, at least for me, a small investment in good manners and a few chats and it must be easy to get an ongoing customer. Do a good job and then there are plenty of things left on the wishlist to come back for.

As I said before, I was really impressed with our tour at ARB and especially their commitment to manufacturing in Australia. They are clearly a good company. I hope they do take notice of some of the comments about their customer facing stuff.

In the end if they don't there are lots of other options out there.

macca
19th November 2014, 07:24 PM
I earlier sang the praise of our "local" outlet, nothing has changed there.

I had forgotten about the store that is north of here, time has dimmed the pain of my last visit.

The owner fancies himself as an alpha male, loud, in my face and apparently I'm his best friend. Would have to be the worst shopping experience I have ever had.

It's him, not the brand / products that stops me from ever going there again.

Sorry about the memory lapse LOL :1087: