PDA

View Full Version : Engine warning light - HELP.

Beucam
16th November 2014, 11:04 PM
Greetings all,

When i bought my 2003 GU Patrol about 7 years ago, i used to experience the engine warning light coming on every now and then, and the patrol would go into slow mode - no power, sees a hill and it struggles to maintain 80. I had the injector pump done in 2012 and seemed to go away.

As i learnt through this forum, I eventually did the NADS and EGR blocking earlier this year. Has been performing real well. About 1 week back a noise started under the hood at start up. Some days no noise - sounded like a bearing squeel.

We took a trip to Ballina to get away from G20 and she performed real well all the way. Managed to do some beach driving as well with no issues.
Then yesterday the noise under the hood started up again. Took a bit longer to go away but it did after about 20 seconds. Coming back this morning from Ballina, the engine warning light came on and started to loose grunt at the sight of hills - slowing down to 80 not matter how hard i tried - i am sure there is a dent in the body work under the accelerator.

We eventually made it home and i let the engine cool as we unpacked. About 1 hour later i started the engine, to try ascertain the reason for the noise - it seemed to be coming from the alternator - very rough when you touch the alternator housing.

I am now confused - will the Alternator be on its last legs, and if so what has this got to do with the engine warning light.

HELP please.

kevin07
17th November 2014, 08:21 AM
going on previous write ups about this the pulley on your alt is stuffed at 11 years new alt definitely wont hurt shop around for one just buy a new one

threedogs
17th November 2014, 08:26 AM
happened to me snapped end of alternator pulley off doing 110kph no warning at all
replace your alternator and disconnect your battery for a while

Beucam
17th November 2014, 08:47 PM
Hi all,
Quick update. Bought new 100 Amp alternator, installed it and no more noise.
The question I now have is, should the 100 amp fuse be upgraded to accommodate the 100 amp alternator and if so would 120 amp be sufficient.

I notice that there are re- settable fuses available - are these any good.

Tx,
Shane