PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up a 24v Alternator

MudRunnerTD
16th November 2014, 03:28 PM
Hey guys need a little help.

As a few of you know i am in the middle of fitting a second Alternator to the GQ. I am setting up a 24v system for winching duties an i am nearly there.

Now i have a Lucas 24V Alternator and No Wiring diagram. Happy days!

So searching on the Net and i came across this on a Tech Forum and this is basically the back of the Alternator i have here.

I dont think the mark up is correct and it appears to be wired for switching from Earth? I assume that where Terminal B+ is marked to Earth i will send to the Battery bank Pos+ post. Also terminal D+ is the excite circuit and will go to a Light and will be switched from my 12v Ignition circuit?

It appears that there is No Earth Post and therefore is earthed from the mount?

can anyone confirm this please.

The Alternator is a Lucas A127 24V 55amp Alternator.

Also the 2 "Output Terminals" marked on that drawing will not be used? is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

MudRunnerTD
16th November 2014, 03:39 PM
Looking further from the Gigglepin site it appears that my speculation is correct.

Yendor
16th November 2014, 09:10 PM
Hey mate,

Did you get this sorted?

The diagrams in both posts are correct. The first post is just for a 24 volt system. Where as the second post diagram is for a 24 volt alternator in a 12 volt system. It uses a 12 volt relay to switch the warning light.

Yes the body of the alternator is the earth.

Yes the two output terminals you won't use.

Cheers Rodney

MudRunnerTD
16th November 2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks Rodney, appreciate your confirmation. have not finished but worked on the above being correct. The Project has grown Legs and getting bigger every time i pop the bloody bonnet! really happy with the changes i am making though.

Cheers mate, i will post here again if i have trouble. I am setting up the 12v relay as above with a warning light for excite.

MudRunnerTD
16th November 2014, 09:29 PM
Hi Rodney, can you confirm that the last diagram is correct? the wire from terminal D+ goes to the Neg side of the Globe then +Pos side of the globe to the relay? i was just going to use a clearance light maybe but i am told that an LED light wont provide enough load and a halogen/coil dash light is a better load? i have a mate that has installed a single globe into his passenger side as an indicator light. i understand this light acts like a warning light on your dash and only lights when there is No Charge to 24V? like your dash lights that come on during pre-ignition?

Yendor
16th November 2014, 09:52 PM
Yes the last diagram is correct.

No you can't use an LED bulb. You need to use a 24volt 3 watt incandescent bulb. The warning light has two functions

1. It excites the alternator into charging. Current pass through the bulb into the alternator regulator and this helps start the alternator charging.

2. It's an indicator to the driver that there might be a problem with the charge circuit.

You might be able to use one of the unused warning light spaces in your instrument cluster if you want to.

MudRunnerTD
16th November 2014, 10:34 PM
Wow that would be pretty neat!! My mate has a 24v gauge in front of his navi and fitted the light beside the gauge which works well but I like the dash light idea! That would give me access to the circuit too. Not sure i can be stuffed pulling out the dash though....... Remember when I said its growing Legs... Your not helping :p

Winnie
16th November 2014, 10:36 PM
Do it in the dash mate, awesome idea!

Yendor
16th November 2014, 10:41 PM
Wow that would be pretty neat!! My mate has a 24v gauge in front of his navi and fitted the light beside the gauge which works well but I like the dash light idea! That would give me access to the circuit too. Not sure i can be stuffed pulling out the dash though....... Remember when I said its growing Legs... Your not helping :p

Sorry boss....LOL

MudRunnerTD
16th November 2014, 10:49 PM
I need to place a Kill Switch into the circuit between the Batteries and the Albright Solenoid to the winch.

Would any or all of these be suitable?

Could I wire this one up so I had the line from the Alternator to batt 1 position, the Bankof batteries to Batt 2 position and use it in "Both" position? Would this let me isolate the Batteries from the Alternator side and the winch side with the Kill position?
Narva-Battery-Master-Rotary-Isolator-Cut-Off-Kill-Switch-4-Pos-Car-Marine- (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Narva-Battery-Master-Rotary-Isolator-Cut-Off-Kill-Switch-4-Pos-Car-Marine-61090-/281270802053?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417d0bd685)

Alternatively, this unit just between the battery bank and the winch solenoid? And no protection between the alternator and the batteries?
NARVA-MASTER-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-CUT-OFF-KILL-SWITCH-12V-24V-BOAT-MARINE (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NARVA-MASTER-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-CUT-OFF-KILL-SWITCH-12V-24V-BOAT-MARINE-61082BL-/261568498518?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce6b28b56)

Yendor
16th November 2014, 11:15 PM
Is it just to isolate the winch when not is use? if so I would use something like option 2.

MudRunnerTD
16th November 2014, 11:56 PM
Is it just to isolate the winch when not is use? if so I would use something like option 2.

No more as a safety Kill switch. I will mount it on the back side of the centre console in reach in case of emergency.

Yendor
17th November 2014, 07:28 AM
Both switches aren't really designed for that. If you switched it off while winching it would cause major arcing across the switch contacts. The switch would more then likely be stuffed after one use. It could even cause the contacts in the switch to be welded together.

The problem with isolating the batteries from the alternator with the engine running is the alternator voltage could go sky high causing damage to electrical items. This might not be a major concern with your setup because your not going to be running anything else 24 volts in the vehicle??

I'm guessing other people are using this setup and that's fine. I'm just concerned it might not do what you expected it to do if used when the sh!t hits the fan.

The less connections you have in the winch battery cable the better the system will work but if fitting the above makes you feel better then go for it.