PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise in front passenger side

tracemul7
14th November 2014, 07:28 AM
Hey folks!
Started yesterday - a knocking/clicking noise in the front on the vehicle, coming from behind the dash/glove box in the passenger side.
It sounds like a fan hitting something or a solenoid clicking .... If that makes sense?
Think it came on when we turned the aircon on .... But after turning it off (and all fans off) it's still there.
2006 GU 3.0 turbo diesel with 155,000km ish. We have full warranty on it, so thinking we'll consider a claim on that through Nissan if it's not an easy/cheap fix :)
Any ideas?
Trace

Bloodyaussie
14th November 2014, 08:39 AM
The mystical magical noise..... not even going to try and suggest a fix for that one... except take my car for a drive and then your one will seem so quiet..lol

If its a noise that will not disappear as soon as you turn up to Nissan get them to check it out if you have warranty?

threedogs
14th November 2014, 09:07 AM
there is not much behind the passenger dash pad, as some of us have made a second glove box utilizing that cavity.
I woulh think its an electrical connector thats come loose from its bracket, thats all I can think of with out pulling my glove box out

happygu
14th November 2014, 09:26 AM
Trace,

Could be lots of things, but common things to look for in 'Special Patrol Noises' will be Belt Tensioner Pulley, AC Clutch Pulley, Front Passenger Spring worn through the rubber spacer/quietener at the top of the spring ( 1 have added a thin flat poly spacer at the bottom on the diff spring mount , and that has been helpful too ).

Not so common in a GU, but common in the GQ, is cracks in the inner guards in the engine bay.

You mentioned it still continues after the fans are turned off .... does the noise still continue if you turn the engine off, and coast downhill? ( PS Make sure it it a straight road with no traffic, and be careful not to turn the key to the lock position, as you wont have steering then, just click it off one click/position )

Mic

P4trol
14th November 2014, 10:25 PM
Do you have anything in the engine bay that might be touching the underside of the bonnet?

Battery terminal etc? Easiest way is to look for bare metal/missing paint on underside of bonnet.

the godfather
15th November 2014, 12:51 AM
I had a similar problem. I was doing about 80 kph and the was this tick tick noise from near the passenger fire wall. Slowed down and turn the radio off, noise went away.
Went back to driving and it started again. Leaned over to listen, noise stopped. This went on for a few days but it was an intermittent problem. Eventually my missus asked what was wrong. I replied "There is a funny tick noise coming from down under the dash somewhere".
She, the GODMOTHER, replied laughing "That's me tapping my foot"....

I could have killed her.

Avo
15th November 2014, 01:02 AM
I had a similar problem. I was doing about 80 kph and the was this tick tick noise from near the passenger fire wall. Slowed down and turn the radio off, noise went away.
Went back to driving and it started again. Leaned over to listen, noise stopped. This went on for a few days but it was an intermittent problem. Eventually my missus asked what was wrong. I replied "There is a funny tick noise coming from down under the dash somewhere".

I could have killed her.

Pheeeewwwww,I thought you where going to spill the beans on a good yarn then...lol

BigRAWesty
15th November 2014, 08:23 AM

I could have killed her.

Bahahahaha. That's classic.

To the op, does it happen under any specific situations?
Like going threw a spot drain? A certain speed?
Ac on or off?

threedogs
15th November 2014, 02:36 PM

I could have killed her.

Bummer thought we were gunna be on Crime stoppers lol
My missus did similar saying I only had one reverse light.
GU's only have one reverse light, glad to say the MOF is still alive and well
And not to comment on the GU anymore

Plastic inner guard if any flapping

the godfather
16th November 2014, 12:19 AM
On a more serious not, is it loader going around corners? Maybe a CV / hub issue that is transferring to the cab noise.

Young1
20th November 2014, 01:12 PM
I had a knocking noise after changing the fan belt. Turned out to be the tensioner pulley - I hadn't done it up tight enough.. actually I'd forgoten to do it up.

tracemul7
5th January 2015, 10:22 PM
Hey folks - sorry haven't been around.
Still haven't solved the problem, but its something to do with the air recirculate thingy.
If it's on recirculate, the noise happens. Turn recirculate off, and the fans off, then just fan back on - it's fine sometimes, but sometimes not.

Done some looking online and could be the intake door control linkage, but it's behind the glove box, so painful to get to!

Anyone know where to find the exploded diagram for this?

BigRAWesty
6th January 2015, 07:24 AM
Hey folks - sorry haven't been around.
Still haven't solved the problem, but its something to do with the air recirculate thingy.
If it's on recirculate, the noise happens. Turn recirculate off, and the fans off, then just fan back on - it's fine sometimes, but sometimes not.

Done some looking online and could be the intake door control linkage, but it's behind the glove box, so painful to get to!

Anyone know where to find the exploded diagram for this?

The fan unit drops out the bottom with a few screws and the the glove box pulls out with a few more.
This should allow you to see the linkage and door flap

MudRunnerTD
6th January 2015, 09:38 AM
As Kallen said the Glove Box comes out easy as there is a Pollen Filter you can add to your system behind there. I would take it out and see if you can see the linkage your talking about. Will take you 5 minutes to take the glove box out.