PDA

View Full Version : Project: focus mind elsewhere...

Evo
13th November 2014, 06:54 PM
Ok, so after a lot of stuff happening, I've started to get onto my little project car.

Was sitting next to my carport for 3 years, then had a clean up, went over the pits, failed on some minor stuff (was expected), sat in a shed for a year, came back home and sat for 2+ years, and now I'm trying to do what I can to it to take my mind of life in general.

It's a 1977 LB Lancer sedan, all original, factory air, nicknamed 'Bumblebee'.
So I've looked over it, got the little 1400 motor going again, and started checking on what I need to replace/repair before its next try at the pits.

So far, this is the list needed to get it ready for pits...
- Door lock buttons (done)
- Secure battery with appropriate clamp (done)
- Replace frayed drivers seatbelt (going to get both front retractable belts rewebbed and certified)
- New pitman arm (got it)
- Replace driver side ball joints (got both to replace)
- Lower inner control arm bushes (got kit)
- Sway bar link bushes (looking for kit)
- Sway bar mount bushes (looking for kit)
- Front radius arm bushes (got kit)
- Steering idler bushes (got kit)
- Inner and outer tie rod ends (found kit, waiting for funds to buy)
- Front flexible brake lines (2 piece line each side, found lines, waiting on funds to buy or get made)

That's need to do, now for the optional list...
- Front 30mm lowered
- Rear 50mm lowered
- New front rotors and pads
- Head unit and speakers
- 15" black rims (already on car, factory rims too rusted and tyres gone, these were lying around in the shed she was stored in for a year, they fit, so I claimed them)

Going to bleed the brakes soonish to make sure the other brake components are ok. Fingers crossed.
Once the first list is complete, should be all good to go.

Here she was when I first brought her home...

Here she is now, waiting for the above work...

Wish me luck!

Evo

mudnut
13th November 2014, 07:18 PM
That little car should be bullet proof when you've got it finished. Are you going to modify it in the future? I would imagine it could be an insane sleeper with a little bit of horsepower.

Evo
13th November 2014, 07:39 PM
Yeah mudnut, maybe.
Original plan was to bolt in a 4G93T out of a GSR (injected and turbo motor), bigger brakes, etc, did all the paperwork with DoT, was approved in principle, then the 'mate' who gave me the motor and brakes has turned into... I don't know what, and now I don't want to use that stuff because I can see him asking for it back once the car is finished.
So just concentrating on getting it up to the mark to pass and registered standard (except wheels).
If I come across parts later down the track, it may just end up being a sleeper of sorts.

Evo

04OFF
13th November 2014, 11:35 PM
I would imagine it could be an insane sleeper with a little bit of horsepower.

Was thinking the same, its just begging for a bit of boost, even just a stock EFI Turbo engine to make it purr along and drive like a dream :049:

Stropp
14th November 2014, 08:25 PM
Looks in great condition mate, get into it :)

Evo
14th November 2014, 08:45 PM
Just trying to save what I can at the moment to get the brake lines and seat belts sorted...

Evo

Evo
27th November 2014, 01:18 AM
So, looks like things are progressing a little faster than expected.

I already had more parts in the car ready to fit than expected.
Bled brakes, all good except rear wheel cylinders leaking...
New cylinders on the way, going hunting tomorrow for someone to make up new front brake hoses...
Just need the tie rod ends and seat belts done and should be on a bit of a win.
Hoping to be ready for DoT inspection before February.

Evo

Evo
27th November 2014, 08:31 PM
Lower controls arms and associated hardware all stripped and cleaned, new ball joints and inner bushes, new sway bar links and mounts, new pitman arm, steering idler bushes, and new strut bar bushes all ready to go.
New front brake hoses were made up today, while I waited (about10 mins), already on.
Just waiting for the rear brake cylinders to show up, the once they go on, full bled with all new fluid, and brakes all done.
Hopefully be ordering the tie rod kit by the weekend, so if all is here by early next week, she will be going for a test up the road.
Then seatbelts, and all sorted...

Still tossing up whether to go a bit over the top and rub back all the metal parts (strut rods, lower control arms, etc) and paint, or just leave them cleaned and natural...

Didn't expect to have this going so fast, especially after nothing for 3 years, a little tinker, then nothing for another 3 years...

Oh well.

Evo

Evo
7th December 2014, 01:26 AM
Ok, so probably the last update for this year.
Everything done now except for seatbelts and wheel alignment.
Most likely going to get a bit of a cut and polish and general all-round clean and tidy up until the time comes when I have enough coin for the seatbelts.
Very close now, just finishing touches.

Evo