PDA

View Full Version : 75ltr reserve tank

Mac73
13th November 2014, 04:11 PM
Hey all, I have an 03 4.8 dual fuel patrol. the 100ltr gas tank is in place of the original main tank and the standard 35?ltr reserve is still in place. I saw another patrol advertised with 100ltr Gas and 75 ltr reserve but the add was taken down before I could contact to find out where I could get this conversion done. Anyone done this, know where to go to get it done and if it's an easy thing to do or requires significant modification? I can't find any previous threads that talk about this. Thanks all for any comments

lucus30
13th November 2014, 04:18 PM
Sounds like just a standard long range sub tank. You can get them 2nd hand or lra sell them for about $900 bucks I think

Edit: that's not installed lra will install them but will cost more obviously

http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.au

BigRAWesty
13th November 2014, 04:23 PM
It's pretty much a long range sub tank.
Lra and brown Davis are the 2 main manufacturers but there are others.

All you need is the tank I'm sure as the sender unit in your 30ltr tank should bolt in the 75

Agronaught
13th November 2014, 04:28 PM
I had the brown Davis sub tank installed in my tb48 at tjm parramatta a couple of months ago.

Its been a very worthwhile upgrade.

I also had a number of other items installed at the same time so not sure of the specific labour cost.

the evil twin
13th November 2014, 04:30 PM
IIRC you would need to change the upper rear RH control arm to a "bent" one to clear the LRA tank as well.

Agronaught
13th November 2014, 04:32 PM
There was no need to change the control arm for the brown Davis tank. Note that its 70L replacing the 30L sub tank.

BigRAWesty
13th November 2014, 04:37 PM
They say no need for bent upper arm if running lift kits under 2"..

Once you start running 3"+ kits then you need the modified uppers

Winnie
13th November 2014, 05:01 PM
They say no need for bent upper arm if running lift kits under 2"..

Once you start running 3"+ kits then you need the modified uppers

So many variables to it though, some need it some don't... I put one in to be safe, it's not that dear

Agronaught
13th November 2014, 05:04 PM
Fair enough.

To the OP, adding the long range sub tank has made a big difference to driving the car. I'm no longer concerned about whether the next town had LPG and being able to go 700km without stopping is a luxury i had never enjoyed with this car.

In my case it was money will spent.

Note that these tanks use all the available space. Unless you can put the car up on a lift and have the gear to lift the tank and keep it level, pay somebody to do it as there is very little clearance to work with.

The only down side is the sender reads full for the first 30% of the tank and then drops rapidly. Not an issue once you know about it, disconcerting if you don't.

Winnie
13th November 2014, 05:07 PM
Fair enough.

To the OP, adding the long range sub tank has made a big difference to driving the car. I'm no longer concerned about whether the next town had LPG and being able to go 700km without stopping is a luxury i had never enjoyed with this car.

In my case it was money will spent.

Note that these tanks use all the available space. Unless you can put the car up on a lift and have the gear to lift the tank and keep it level, pay somebody to do it as there is very little clearance to work with.

The only down side is the sender reads full for the first 30% of the tank and then drops rapidly. Not an issue once you know about it, disconcerting if you don't.

I modified my sender so it reads true right the way through the range

threedogs
13th November 2014, 05:12 PM
My sub tank was leaking so IMO not worth fixing so gave Kevin a call at Brown Davis and had a 75 Ltr aux tank fitted
best mod ever, even if just to fill when prices are down.
Also had a 75 ltr aux tank on my other 4x4 , did 400K with no problems highly recommend Brown Davis

Agronaught
13th November 2014, 05:54 PM
I modified my sender so it reads true right the way through the range

I'm interested in the details if you have them.

Winnie
13th November 2014, 06:03 PM
I'm interested in the details if you have them.

I just shortened the arm that the float is on and rebent it to suit. Easy done, you'll see what I mean if you look at a sender.
AB and I did them together and both had good results

lucus30
13th November 2014, 06:19 PM
My sub tank was leaking so IMO not worth fixing so gave Kevin a call at Brown Davis and had a 75 Ltr aux tank fitted
best mod ever, even if just to fill when prices are down.
Also had a 75 ltr aux tank on my other 4x4 , did 400K with no problems highly recommend Brown Davis

How much that cost threedogs? Still something on my to do list and after watching AB and winnie do theirs not sure it's a job I want to do myself

Agronaught
13th November 2014, 06:39 PM
Just found my quote, it was $1100 fitted. I also added the brown Davis radiator guard as the radiator on the tb48 is vulnerable IMHO.

Winnie
13th November 2014, 06:40 PM
How much that cost threedogs? Still something on my to do list and after watching AB and winnie do theirs not sure it's a job I want to do myself

It wasn't hard at all, just very very awkward on Andy's baby powder driveway

Evo
13th November 2014, 07:01 PM
I was lucky to find one second hand.
Guy I bought it off was a mechanic, brought the tank to my place, and fitted it on my driveway, $500 all up.
There are a few places in WA you can find that do larger capacity tanks, or try your luck like me in finding a second hand tank.
If you want to look at one before deciding, more than welcome to check mine out.

Evo