PDA

View Full Version : Fitting all your reccomendations to protect 2011 CRD, definately the right thing?

hybrid
13th November 2014, 12:04 PM
Hi All,

Next Thursday , I am getting the following fitted to my 2011 CRD, 3 Inch Redback exhaust with EGT Guage, Oil Catch Can Provent 200, Dawes and Needle valve with Boost Guage, EGR Block & getting a scan guage to clear the engine check light if it arises.

Just wanted to confirm I am doing the right thing? , I was talking to a guy yesterday and he put some doubt in my mind, saying how these manufacturers put all this time and money into research and development and that it would be a very small percentage of cars that have issues. On the other hand we have all the forum people recommending these mods.

I just want the car to be reliable and I want the engine to last as long as possible.

I can't stuff the engine by doing these things? they are getting fitted by a qualified mechanic.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Renee

4bye4
13th November 2014, 01:41 PM
Hi Renee,
Your question could get as many different replies as there are members on the forum, as it depends on what the person believes in. Personally I have a 2005 GU and do nto have anything fitted as yet. having said that, I am getting ready to fit a NADS system That is EGT guage, Dawes and Needle valve and boost guage and EGR block. This is because I believe in the extra safety provided to the engine by this modification, although my model GU4, does not have the reputation of earlier models for grenading. Your 2011 model "should not need" the system, but there is a difference between needing it and having it. Certainly the modifications should improve the general running and longevity odf the engine.
The other mods you are fitting are great whether they are needed or not. I think all diesel vehicles should have a catch can fitted. Having a Scanguage is always a bonus to see the health of your engine, not just to clear faults. The exhaust mods are in my opinion not necessary but sertainly a good thing to do while you are doing the other mods.
With all due respect to your mechanic, manufacturesrs put as much time and money into research and development as is necessary to get the machine on the road at the least cost to them. This is proven by the number of pre 2004/5 3 ltr motors that did fail and also the number of "crimped" intercoolers that leak oil. I am one of those victims and really it is only a matter of fitting a better manufactured intercooler.
In answer to your question, no if the mods are done correctly you can't stuff your engine.
Tony

threedogs
13th November 2014, 01:53 PM
not being a party pooper but they recon the 2.75 " Beaudesert exhaust works better on the CRD
At least fit gauges to see what the motor is doing

Stropp
13th November 2014, 02:00 PM
yes i would definitely fit what you are getting done, i have a 4.2 but still have the egr blank and the egt and boost gauges along with the 3" exhaust, as 3d said 2.75 seems to work better for a 3ltr from what others say.

Beni C
13th November 2014, 03:22 PM
I have a 2008 CRD, EGR blank, Provent 200 and Scanguage are no brainers and were the first things I did in the way of mods. No exhaust nasties mixing with the pcv blow by clogging up your intake! Think of it like your car smoking cigarettes, you're helping it kick the habit! Scanguage for check engine light and it’s a cool bit of kit!!

As for the rest I do have boost / egt gauge, intercooler upgrade, exhaust and DP Chip on the list but this is cream on top stuff. I will fit Dawes and needle valve if required to combat boost spikes but only if it’s needed.

Manufacturers do put time and effort into R&D but they are still bound by emission regs. You are doing the right thing!!

kevin07
13th November 2014, 03:28 PM
all on board with the 2.75 exhaust and the main reason for these upgrades on the crd is power mine is quite a credible power house now

Hodge
13th November 2014, 05:18 PM
Hey Hybrid.
I was a bit sceptical at first my self with fitting all of that to my CRD. And once I had it all fitted, I was kicking my self for not doing it earlier. Especially the manual boost control. Car thanked me for that after it.

kevin07
13th November 2014, 06:23 PM
Hey Hybrid.
I was a bit sceptical at first my self with fitting all of that to my CRD. And once I had it all fitted, I was kicking my self for not doing it earlier. Especially the manual boost control. Car thanked me for that after it.

so hodge what did the manual boost controller do for you

Hodge
13th November 2014, 08:07 PM
so hodge what did the manual boost controller do for you

Few things mate. Allowed me to set max PSI, hence eliminating potential limp mode. And most importantly gave me a smooth, even, linear boost curve, instead of the factory boost doing the "yoyo" all over the place. And , also you can then adjust spool up rate as well to suit.
Dawes/needle valves can be finicky, but once set right, do wonders to the cars performance and feel.

hybrid
14th November 2014, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback, noted on the 2.75" beaudesert exhaust, but I have already purchased the redback 3", so hopefully that will be ok. Cheers Renee

threedogs
15th November 2014, 03:43 PM
With the exhaust are you doing turbo back or just from the Cat back??

Snow Patrol
15th November 2014, 03:59 PM
I have just fitted EGR and Dawes set up and gauges to my 08 CRD. Previously fitted catch can and second filter/water trap. Scan gauge will arrive next week to clear the check light:icon_bonk: The Trol is going well. topping out at 18 psi boost and now will pull up my hill in to gear only dropping 5 kmph and apposed to 10 to 15. Cheaper than chipping and better for the engine. Was a bit fiddly until I got my head around what did what and yes I got a bit lost on the way. This forum has a wealth of information at your disposal so read up and ask questions.

Footnote: Very happy with the Trol now after a run to Canberra tonight.

kevin07
15th November 2014, 04:46 PM
I have just fitted EGR and Dawes set up and gauges to my 08 CRD. Previously fitted catch can and second filter/water trap. Scan gauge will arrive next week to clear the check light:icon_bonk: The Trol is going well. topping out at 18 psi boost and now will pull up my hill in to gear only dropping 5 kmph and apposed to 10 to 15. Cheaper than chipping and better for the engine. Was a bit fiddly until I got my head around what did what and yes I got a bit lost on the way. This forum has a wealth of information at your disposal so read up.

oh jeez wait till you chip it then that will give you the happies

mudski
15th November 2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback, noted on the 2.75" beaudesert exhaust, but I have already purchased the redback 3", so hopefully that will be ok. Cheers Renee

Don't worry. The 3inch will be absolutely fine. 1/4inch difference is sweet f.a. if i owned a crd I would be going 3inch personally.

hybrid
16th November 2014, 07:20 AM
With the exhaust are you doing turbo back or just from the Cat back??

From the Turbo back Threedogs

threedogs
16th November 2014, 07:37 AM
I originally had a 3" exhaust cat back, you could feel the difference big time,
then I had a DP chip ,straight through Cat and bigger scoop fitted all at once.
Not a good idea as I couldn't say if there were any huge improvements
You may want to think about getting your ECU re mapped "2trollfam" just had it done
and you cant wipe the smile off Sharen's face

hybrid
18th November 2014, 07:43 AM
I originally had a 3" exhaust cat back, you could feel the difference big time,
then I had a DP chip ,straight through Cat and bigger scoop fitted all at once.
Not a good idea as I couldn't say if there were any huge improvements
You may want to think about getting your ECU re mapped "2trollfam" just had it done
and you cant wipe the smile off Sharen's face

Yes Threedogs, I definitely want to look into the ECU re mapping once I save a bit more coin :)

hybrid
20th November 2014, 03:53 PM
Well, things are progressing nicely at the mechanic, he pulled off my intercooler and it was full of oil, I'm sooooooo glad I am getting the Catch Can fitted and my car has only 80,000km on it....glad I have taken all the advice you all have provided since joining the forum.:thumbup:

hybrid
27th November 2014, 06:46 AM
Just thought I would update you on how everything went . The car seems to have a much more smoother and immediate response in regards to exceleration, the dawes valve has been currently set to 17 psi which seems to be good. The Scan Guage 2 is a great piece of kit with the various readings it give you and being able to clear the fault code from the egr block. The boost and egt guage also has been a great insight to how the car is going. As for the oil catch can, that really is an essential mod for these vehicles. should of done this stuff sooner.

Hodge
27th November 2014, 06:53 AM
Good to hear things are going well with the Patrol mate. Dawes and needle need a sweet spot, and once you find it, set it and forget it.

threedogs
27th November 2014, 01:02 PM
X 2 with what Hodge says I marked the dawes with a texta and wrote down what I did
once the boost was right I then set about tuning the spool up rate I believe I have it right if not
pretty damn close, EGTs are down and get no where near where they used to, my max boost is set at 20.