PDA

View Full Version : ZD 30 Intercooler

4bye4
12th November 2014, 04:33 PM
Ok I know this has been done to death, sorry. I have the almost mandatory oil leak from my OEM intercooler. At the moment it is not large, that is you can wipe a smear of oil off the underside of the intercooler every three days or so but it is not dripping at all. What is the progression of this problem. In other words can I save my pennies for a few weeks, months, years, or am I looking at catastrophic damage in the next few days unless I attend to this immediatly?
Any recomendations for a better intercooler to fit?

threedogs
12th November 2014, 05:06 PM
cross country do a larger IC but way over priced imo.
look around for an OE one thats tigged they are about
30% larger I think, make sure its been pressure tested as well.
It wont fail you but over the next few months save some coin for either a replacement or change over
I brought mine from Diesel smart but not sure whats happening with them as a few members are having trouble contacting them
other than that PWR and ARE do a tigged IC and fan combo but not 100% sure a fan is benificial IMO

4bye4
12th November 2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks TD. started looking on the web last week and just got more and more confused. Basicaly I want to replace it with a tigged unit of the same size. I don't believe I need a "better" or "larger" unit as the truck is mainly used for touring. I tow an off road trailer but not a van. Used off road on day trips etc. but is not a competition vehicle. Will check out PWR and ARE and also see what I can find out about Diesel smart.
Tony

Hodge
12th November 2014, 05:49 PM
I have the diesel smart unit, and it's really good for the price. Larger tanks, tig welded. Definitely made a difference to the truck. All for $500.

SG1
12th November 2014, 06:29 PM
Went down this path a month or two ago, decided I didn want to pay to much and wanted it welded as it was leaking, so bought one of ebay, think it was about $350, pretty much exactly the same but welded tho they claim it has higher or larger flow or something like that, works a treat and was easy to install, no leaks. Something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-NISSAN-GU-PATROL-ZD30-3L-DIRECT-INJECTION-UPGRADE-ALLOY-INTERCOOLER-/171502157481?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ee533ea9

4bye4
12th November 2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks everybody - SG1 that ad now sold out. They have another one up at $500.00. TD and Hodge, I am also having trouble contacting Diesel smart. ARE are winning hands down at the moment as they took the time to discuss it with me and they do an exchange where I can get the unit and with an extra $300 deposit they will send it then I get refunded when my unit goes back. Recently did this with one of my work trucks (Kia) and a NSW co that sent a fuel pump. Worked out well. Anyway will get things happening in the next couple of weeks. My original query regarding whether this was urgent was I would like to not be under the hood between now and Christmas. Got enough load on in my own business without working on the truck as well.

Hodge
12th November 2014, 07:22 PM
That's fair enough mate. When I got my unit exchanged, it was a 3 day process. Ordered Monday, had it Wednesday afternoon. Sent my cooler back Wednesday, got $ back Friday. Easy transaction.
Replacing the inter-cooler took me all of 15 minutes, or 2 stubbies, not a large job, so don't need too much time on it if times an issue.
Cheers.

4bye4
12th November 2014, 07:48 PM
Replacing the inter-cooler took me all of 15 minutes, or 2 stubbies, not a large job, so don't need too much time on it if times an issue.
Cheers.
Bugger I don't drink beer. Can you please estimate in Burbon or Rum?

Rexzilla
12th November 2014, 07:56 PM
I got one yesterday from a radiator mob here in Perth, new standard tanks with a slightly thicker core, tig welded ready to fit $385

4bye4
12th November 2014, 07:58 PM
I got one yesterday from a mob here in Perth, new tanks with a slightly thicker core, tig welded ready to fit $385

Hey mate - can you PM me details?

Rexzilla
12th November 2014, 08:15 PM
PM sent buddy

4bye4
12th November 2014, 08:27 PM
Thanks mate saw it. Looks like welded not crimped so should be better than OEM one anyway. Will talk to them tomorrow.

4bye4
2nd December 2014, 03:25 PM
I got one yesterday from a radiator mob here in Perth, new standard tanks with a slightly thicker core, tig welded ready to fit $385

From brownes Radiators Perth. This one for GU 3ltr. Just under $400. Others available.
Will see how it goes and post results

Extrimal D
6th December 2014, 04:10 PM
Here is a photo of my intercooler:

52403 52404 52405 52406

Noticeable increase in power is not noticed.

Extrimal D
6th December 2014, 04:14 PM
This intercooler took in Vladivostok. He Is Chinese. Itself with China don't drive. Easier to order the people who have already established supply chain from China.

the evil twin
6th December 2014, 04:20 PM
Nice setup Extrimal.

In Russia i thought you would need an Interheater :toot:

Extrimal D
6th December 2014, 04:35 PM
Leaky intercooler bad. Factory intercooler not reliable, so I recommended it to replace.Wash the inside with soap and water to further purge flushing.

Extrimal D
6th December 2014, 04:37 PM
Set the boost controller. Fuel filter RACOR heated. But as sad as it the engine died.

Extrimal D
6th December 2014, 04:42 PM
Intercooler posed with a fan. But without a temperature sensor. Include his force button in C.

Extrimal D
6th December 2014, 04:53 PM
"Nostril" on the hood made from carbon fiber, the matrix. Made of two kinds: Y60 and Y61.

Paule
6th December 2014, 05:32 PM
That bonnet looks awesome

Extrimal D
6th December 2014, 07:45 PM
The Intake Y 61: