PDA

View Full Version : 80 series Turbo into TD42

Sharky1
12th November 2014, 01:03 AM
This should bring some interesting thoughts/comments.....................yes I'm toying (no pun intended) with the idea of putting a Toyota 80 series cruiser turbo onto my GU TD42.

I've heard of it being done & I was just curious if anyone on this forum has done it or knows someone who has done it & if so, what did you do to your inlet manifold to get the turbo to fit?

The rest of it is a pretty straight forward conversion (sort of). The reason I want to use this turbo is that it has a 3" inlet & 3" outlet, it's an oil+water cooled ball bearing turbo & I have access to a good one for next to nothing.

nissannewby
12th November 2014, 01:25 AM
Your title is a little misleading.

A turbo is a turbo. The engines are the same capacity so no reason why it wouldn't work. However to get the most from it you may need to upgrade the injector pump as the Toyota motor runs a larger element over the NA td42. Otherwise it should be fine.

Sharky1
12th November 2014, 01:41 AM
Your title is a little misleading.

A turbo is a turbo. The engines are the same capacity so no reason why it wouldn't work. However to get the most from it you may need to upgrade the injector pump as the Toyota motor runs a larger element over the NA td42. Otherwise it should be fine.

Sorry, changed title.

I know it will work & I know the right people to tune it & sort my injection out. But are the flanges the same bolt pattern? I'm not full bottle on turbo's. I know basically how they work & I have rebuild 2 of them in the past but that's about it.

Most turbo's for TD42 have a 3" inlet & only 2" outlet, making a 3" dump pipe a little pointless, which then limits turbo efficiency & performance. I can't put too much boost into this motor so I need to make the most out of this exercise.

nissannewby
12th November 2014, 01:52 AM
I'm not 100% sure what flange type the cruiser uses but the majority of manifolds that suit a td42 are a T3 flange. There are adapters available to go to a few others from T3.

Sharky1
12th November 2014, 02:02 AM
Thanks. Yeah I knew the TD42's use a T3 flange. I'm just not sure what the Toyota one is. I could make an adapter but the further away I set this turbo, the more lag I'll get so I want to keep it as close to the secondaries as poss.

This was just something that came up in a conversation tonight so I haven't even seen the toyota turbo yet, nor do I have a TD42T manifold to compare it to.

BigRAWesty
12th November 2014, 07:07 AM
Only one way to find out hey.
Grab it.
I've been told I have a Toyota turbo but it has a t3 flange.
Also you can make an adaptor as short as 20mm. Just have to work it out.
Surly 20mm won't add that much lag? May create clearance issues with the chassis or bonnet though