PDA

View Full Version : Any body running led headlight upgrade kits

threedogs
11th November 2014, 05:14 PM
Just as it says is anyone running LED headlights as opposed to HID.
They look affordable just interested in the high beam side of things
or a waste of money as only good around town
link is a random kit from Ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-SHIP-Car-Integrated-LED-Headlight-Lamp-Conversion-Kit-6000K-H4-Hi-Low-2400LM-/281347361782?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41819c0bf6

Sir Roofy
11th November 2014, 05:31 PM
would be interesting john if you get a set let us know how they are
and ill get some if ya reckon there ok on a dark back road in the scrub

nissannewby
11th November 2014, 06:11 PM
Are they just bulbs or actual lights with appropriate magnifiers/reflectors?

This topic has been spoken about before. You have to pay good money to get a decent hi/lo led headlight and still as far as I know Speaker are the only ones available that work well but they will set you back close to $1000.

It's also been a subject on here of projectors vs just hid bulbs and as the projectors are built specifically to suit the light of a hid they outperform just bulbs like chalk and cheese. The same applies with LEDs.

the evil twin
11th November 2014, 06:50 PM
Just as it says is anyone running LED headlights as opposed to HID.
They look affordable just interested in the high beam side of things
or a waste of money as only good around town
link is a random kit from Ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-SHIP-Car-Integrated-LED-Headlight-Lamp-Conversion-Kit-6000K-H4-Hi-Low-2400LM-/281347361782?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41819c0bf6

Those XM series are about the best Cree LED around for lumens per watt but it is a bit suss they are claiming more lumens than the Cree specs.
Cree claim 105 lumens per watt so about 2100 lumens

The next big thing is where the lumens go and that depends entirely on the shape and focal length of the reflector so will vary immensely.

Finally, make sure you have enough room behind the headlamp assy as the heat sinks stick out a fair way and getting the retaining clips in can be a real mother#&$#

Sooo whilst I haven't tried those ones and prev ones that I have seen about 12 months ago have been total poo they weren't top notch LEDs and rated much less lumens.
Would be good to hear if these are any better

the evil twin
11th November 2014, 06:55 PM
... might I add that lumens is a totally worthless rating for headlamps.

One day someone will make the arseholes rate them in lux then we will all know exactly what we are getting and where the light is actually focused

Parksy
11th November 2014, 08:23 PM
I'm running led headlights, but not those. They have a ballast as well and a fan to cool them. Low beam they are perfect. Very bright and instantaneous light when I switch them on. High beam I don't notice much of a difference, but that's what the light bar is for.

threedogs
12th November 2014, 07:04 AM
good answers thanks, that link was for an example only thing.
I have HID 100 watt headlights ATM but I not sure they have headlights
that are ok on Hi beam, the light bar is great but I dont think it
gives enough reaction time if sitting on say 110kph.
As NN say Stairs are the only ones ATM that are the leaders and that comes at a price

aazn
22nd December 2014, 02:24 AM
i tried this in another car, used LED bulbs for headlights bad idea... didnt work very well and since they are big LED's they and created too much heat around the base of the bulb (driver units). not fun when the base blows and the led bulbs are fine... but that was about a year and a half ago. new bulbs are suppose to be better.

Goldifox
27th January 2015, 10:01 PM
I have just seen Narva have released a new 7" Hi/Lo LED replacement headlight - anyone tried them or heard any feedback on them ?

liftlid
29th January 2015, 09:21 AM
They are ADR compliant woo hoo
Waiting on a price to see if I buy
They are the truck lite brand from USA

threedogs
29th January 2015, 10:26 AM
Heres a pic of those Stairs led that NN mentioned
IMO the others havent got hi-beam right ATM

rkinsey
29th January 2015, 12:42 PM
TD,

I've been looking at a set of these - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121346304485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They do have high and low beam.

Cheers,

Rob