PDA

View Full Version : Auto lockers engaging

ben 4.2td
11th November 2014, 01:30 PM
My patrol occasionally makes a terrible noise (the noise you hear when trying to change gears without using clutch) from the front right wheel. The noise usually occurs when I reverse out my driveway which is up hill and the back end looses traction. There is usually a clunk, then as I drive forward I hear the noise. I have to stop reverse to I hear the clunk again, and then as i start to drive forward the noise stops. At time I have driven for at least 10 kms with radio on and not realising it is making the noise. I am concerned if something is damaged in the auto lockers and I am making it worse by driving. I was wondering if anyone had a solution for this problem. Thanks

the evil twin
11th November 2014, 01:51 PM
I think you mean Auto Free Whheling Hubs not Lockers.
The "clunk" when you change direction is the FWH hub engaging/disengaging.
Grating sounds when driving mean it is still partially engaged in 2WD or knackered and slipping in 4WD
When were they last serviced?
I'd pull them off and do an inspection, service them if they are OK and see how they go.
Don't use too much grease, that is one of the prime causes of partial engagement

4bye4
11th November 2014, 02:24 PM
Try this link. YNOT has some info there that I think will answer your question. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs&highlight=free+wheeling+hubs

Or call "clunk" - sorry couldn't resist that.

ben 4.2td
11th November 2014, 04:04 PM
I will have a look at that web site, otherwise I am all clunked out. I did the wheel bearing not long ago and packed with grease, but this did not stop noise.

the evil twin
11th November 2014, 04:34 PM
I will have a look at that web site, otherwise I am all clunked out. I did the wheel bearing not long ago and packed with grease, but this did not stop noise.

Too much grease only makes it worse

mudski
11th November 2014, 07:06 PM
The hubs ever been serviced before? Had a clean out and a slight re grease? Best thing to do with these hubs is remove the auto locking plate so they are full manual hubs. Your problem will be solved. My hubs used to do the same thing. Reverse out of the driveway go down the street and click click click.

Clunk
11th November 2014, 07:38 PM
Try this link. YNOT has some info there that I think will answer your question. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs&highlight=free+wheeling+hubs

Or call "clunk" - sorry couldn't resist that.

nothing to do with me mate, I was no where near :)

Sharky1
20th November 2014, 01:22 AM
Too much grease only makes it worse

Eh? 1st time I've heard that.

If you don't pack your hub well with grease then the bearing will, in short time, expel the grease from the race to the hollow areas of the hub & run itself dry. You want to pack the bearing well but obviously not to the point of pressurizing the hub with grease.

As for the clunk, if it's coming from the front & you have auto diff lock in the front I would recommend getting rid of the auto hubs asap. That's not a good combo & will only give you headaches as time goes by & the car wears out more.

I would imagine you have an auto hub issue & the noise is both this & the auto diff lock trying to work when they shouldn't be.

nissannewby
20th November 2014, 10:19 AM
To much grease in the actual locking hub can be worse......

(AUST)Mod
2nd December 2014, 04:00 PM
Convert it to full manual operation for trouble free future use.

mudski
5th December 2014, 10:21 AM
Convert it to full manual operation for trouble free future use.

...and to do this simply remove the hub, turn it with the mechanism side up, grab a screw driver and lever out the top plate. It takes a bit of levering but it comes out.