PDA

View Full Version : How to get to winch.

jay see
10th November 2014, 03:55 PM
I need to rotate my clutch lever on the winch.
I can't seem to get to it from underneath. The plate is bolted to the chassis.
Do I undo the three bolts that you see at the top of the pic, that will allow me to remove the whole bullbar (TJM). There's another bolt below the bottom one, but they both go into the chassis.

Cheers in advance

93patrol
10th November 2014, 06:17 PM
Yep remove the whole bar as this makes getting to winch easier. Those bolts should be 22 mm from memory

megatexture
10th November 2014, 08:30 PM
May as well give it a full service while its out, they are simple but more grease isn't better it just makes it hard to spool

jay see
10th November 2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys.
Just needed to be sure.

Will have a look at servicing, but winches are all new to me.
Is there a particular grease to use.

jay see
6th December 2014, 02:56 AM
Well I managed to get the lever in the right position.
Now it wouldn't spool out, works both ways when in the "IN" position.
Where have I gone wrong.

megatexture
6th December 2014, 01:30 PM
Did you re pack it with grease ? If you put too much grease in it the outer ring that slides over the planetary gears may not be sliding properly and staying in gear. I'm referring to part 19 http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/pdf/900499E1.pdf

jay see
6th December 2014, 05:58 PM
Did you re pack it with grease ? If you put too much grease in it the outer ring that slides over the planetary gears may not be sliding properly and staying in gear. I'm referring to part 19 http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/pdf/900499E1.pdf

No I didn't.

megatexture
6th December 2014, 06:35 PM
It was working fine earlier I presume? Did it look ok inside when you had it apart to rotate it ?

jay see
6th December 2014, 07:15 PM
It was working fine earlier I presume? Did it look ok inside when you had it apart to rotate it ?

Yep.
It still works just won't spool out by hand so I leave it for next time. Unless someone has any other ideas.

happygu
6th December 2014, 07:44 PM
I have noticed with some winches there are only certain positions that the lever can mount up ..... wont work properly in just any position.

Try loosening, and totating slightly to see if this has any affect

Mic

megatexture
6th December 2014, 07:53 PM
Sorry mate, other than pulling it out for a clean out or tapping it with a hammer while trying to disengage it I don't think there's much to do.
The handle has a off centre pin on the end of it that slides the ring gear off of the inner gears but something must be jamming it preventing this action.

Can you remove the clutch lever and check if the pin hasn't snapped off ? Mines held in with a grub screw.

jay see
6th December 2014, 08:12 PM
Sorry mate, other than pulling it out for a clean out or tapping it with a hammer while trying to disengage it I don't think there's much to do.
The handle has a off centre pin on the end of it that slides the ring gear off of the inner gears but something must be jamming it preventing this action.

Can you remove the clutch lever and check if the pin hasn't snapped off ? Mines held in with a grub screw.

OK, will have a look and try your thoughts probably on Monday (day off).
Thanks for your input.

jay see
9th January 2015, 04:35 PM
OK. Need to get it working proper.
Spools out but hard to do.
Got it out a apart. Do I just wipe out as much as I can, or wash it out with something?
How much grease is too much.
SCA have marine grease???????

mudski
9th January 2015, 05:03 PM
Too much grease will make it very sticky and hard to free spool. Many use LMM grease, the black stuff as its not as thick. But It's not waterproof. So if you plan on doing regular servicing it will be o.k. I used Castrol Premium Heavy duty grease, the old APXT in Castrol. I made the mistake of first using the Truck and Farm grease which is super tacky. I couldn't even move the hub. Cleaned it out and then used the Premium Heavy Duty grease, but not too much. Pretty much the same as whats on the gears in your pic. The hub was a little firm to move but still pretty good. So I was happy with that.

jay see
9th January 2015, 05:14 PM
Too much grease will make it very sticky and hard to free spool. Many use LMM grease, the black stuff as its not as thick. But It's not waterproof. So if you plan on doing regular servicing it will be o.k. I used Castrol Premium Heavy duty grease, the old APXT in Castrol. I made the mistake of first using the Truck and Farm grease which is super tacky. I couldn't even move the hub. Cleaned it out and then used the Premium Heavy Duty grease, but not too much. Pretty much the same as whats on the gears in your pic. The hub was a little firm to move but still pretty good. So I was happy with that.

Thanks mudski.
What's LLM, sorry. Is the castrol waterproof?
Not planning on serving always only when needed, but I do want to relocate my control box, just not sure where.

jay see
9th January 2015, 05:20 PM
Found this in the shed 53675
What do you think.
Went back to look and its what you use just the old stuff. Haha

mudski
9th January 2015, 08:49 PM
Found this in the shed 53675
What do you think.
Went back to look and its what you use just the old stuff. Haha

That stuff if fine. It says on the top of that tube, formerly known as APXT, which is now called Premium Heavy duty. Lmm is the Black grease, great for this application but not waterproof, thats the only issue with it.

jay see
9th January 2015, 09:01 PM
That stuff if fine. It says on the top of that tube, formerly known as APXT, which is now called Premium Heavy duty. Lmm is the Black grease, great for this application but not waterproof, thats the only issue with it.

OK. This one is blue!!!
Now I've had it in and out three times and nothing happens, I think I can hear things turning but the drum won't move. The shaft in the pic has 6 flats on the end but the end of the gearbox has a round bush.
Also the gear on that shaft doesn't line up with anything on the end of the gearbox pic 2.
What am I missing.

Never mind
Dickhead I am.
Winch back in and working, will put it all back together in the morning and go and find a tree to test.
Took a while but now I've learn something new.