PDA

View Full Version : ECU remap guineapig

Rock Trol
8th November 2014, 09:09 PM
I have just booked the Patrol (2007 CRD) in for an ECU remap and Pacemaker 3 inch exhaust at Pro 4x4 in Adelaide. Has anyone else on the forum had their ECU remapped?

I am not going wild on the tune but want more torque lower down and the midrange (2-3000rpm). The plan is to adjust the torque limiters lower down in the rev range to create a more linear power curve as well as adding a little more fuel in the mapping. DMF has been replaced so solid flywheel should cope. I also have a larger intercooler to help as well.

I have read a lot about chips on the forum but not much on remapping ECU’s as its not done in Australia very often. It’s quite common in the UK and Europe however and I like the idea as it won’t be simply adding more fuel to the standard fuel map. I feel a little bit like a guineapig at the moment.

happygu
8th November 2014, 10:39 PM
I like the idea, except for when it gets serviced by nissan, and they do a software reflash/upgrade to fix an issue....

At least with the chip, you either know it is there or it isn't.

P4trol
8th November 2014, 11:44 PM
How often would Nissan reflash the ecu?

Rock Trol
9th November 2014, 12:28 AM
I don't service the car at Nissan as its out of warranty. Also, to remap the ECU it has to be removed from the car. It can't be done via the OBD2 port according to the Pro 4x4 so I don't think that Nissan change the fuel maps unless its absolutely necessary. Would not be a regular occurrence.
I also spoke to my insurance company who were happy to insure the new fuel map so if it was overwritten they would pay for it. It's probably not something that should be done while the car is still under warranty though, just in case.

2TROLLFAM
9th November 2014, 12:37 AM
My 2008 CRD is going in on Tuesday to have the ECU remapped & 3" S/S exhaust from Roo Systems ..... Be interesting to see the results

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rock Trol
9th November 2014, 12:53 AM
I can't wait as well. Pro 4x4 are Roo System stockists so they may be using the same software. They do an individual tune for each car using a laptop so the tuners experience also comes into play.

2TROLLFAM
9th November 2014, 12:56 AM
Will have to compare notes once they're both done ;)

Rock Trol
9th November 2014, 01:13 AM
Mine's going in on Thursday so you will have a couple of days head start on me.
Won't really know how well it works until I tow the camper up a big hill but I think it will improve the way the truck runs around town as well.

2TROLLFAM
9th November 2014, 01:16 AM
Mine's going in on Thursday so you will have a couple of days head start on me. Won't really know how well it works until I tow the camper up a big hill but I think it will improve the way the truck runs around town as well.

I'm gonna do a run to Toowoomba with the trailer on once I get him back -

see how he goes and also see if it'll make any difference his ass sitting alittle higher after getting the lift put in last week Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rock Trol
9th November 2014, 01:29 AM
Good idea. I probably wont be able to resist driving up the hill on the south eastern freeway heading to Melbourne on the weekend either. That should be interesting to say the least.
Will the car hold 4th gear or do I still need to go down to third. Only time will tell ;-)

Rock Trol
11th November 2014, 11:46 PM
Hi 2TROLLFAM.
Did you get the car back today? How does the remap and exhaust work?

2TROLLFAM
12th November 2014, 02:58 AM
Hi 2TROLLFAM. Did you get the car back today? How does the remap and exhaust work?

Dunno if they finished him - I had a P of a day yesterday and didn't have time to call and see how they were travelling - hopefully can he'll be finished today and then I can get the truck to pick him up otherwise will be Thursday before I get him back as I'm working in with the transport company & when they are up that way

Rock Trol
12th November 2014, 09:13 AM
So looks like we may be posting around the same time about the upgrades. Hope mine finishes tomorrow.

2TROLLFAM
12th November 2014, 10:34 PM
My boy is being picked up tomorrow morning at 7:30 and dropped at our Moorooka yard so I'll get to take him for a hoot at some stage tomorrow :)

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 12:28 PM
Just raced to moorooka to pick up my boy - only have driven him from Moorooka to Ipswich but OMFG !!! Goes like a shower of s$&7 !!! Very impressed for my 20mins drive LOL

the evil twin
13th November 2014, 01:06 PM
Just raced to moorooka to pick up my boy - only have driven him from Moorooka to Ipswich but OMFG !!! Goes like a shower of s$&7 !!! Very impressed for my 20mins drive LOL

Awesome news... sure beats the shit out of dicking around with Chips and other peripherals plus waaay more efficient.

megatexture
13th November 2014, 01:06 PM

I just overheard on the radio that all traffic is unusually slow on the Ipswich hwy, maybe it was everyone else not your car...:tease::tease:

threedogs
13th November 2014, 01:14 PM
after watching all these horsepower shows on FTA TV, seems we are ripped off,
for the LS1 for $300 you can buy a self tuning box or dial in your own.
Plenty of other motors as well.
What is an approx cost to push a few buttons and re map a 3 ltr diesel or is ther more to it

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 02:20 PM
after watching all these horsepower shows on FTA TV, seems we are ripped off, for the LS1 for $300 you can buy a self tuning box or dial in your own. Plenty of other motors as well. What is an approx cost to push a few buttons and re map a 3 ltr diesel or is ther more to it
I don't know the ins and outs but it cost me $1600

nissannewby
13th November 2014, 02:24 PM
What is the readout on the right side? The glare makes it hard to read.

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 02:26 PM
I just overheard on the radio that all traffic is unusually slow on the Ipswich hwy, maybe it was everyone else not your car...:tease::tease:
Hahahahaha

I was naughty - would slow down to 60 in 100 zone just so I could floor it and next minute I'm doing 100 !! My car has NEVER accelerated that quickly

Wanna go find hills this afternoon/tonight just to see how it goes

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 02:28 PM
What is the readout on the right side? The glare makes it hard to read.
It's laminated LOLA
Left side is power, right is torque and bottom speed

Green before - red after

nissannewby
13th November 2014, 02:29 PM
Yes but what is the torque value? Nm, ft/lb or tractive effort.

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 02:32 PM
Yes but what is the torque value? Nm, ft/lb or tractive effort.
HAJAHA you think I know what I'm looking at?
I'll try take another pic

nissannewby
13th November 2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks. So was the whole lot $1600 or just the remap?

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 02:50 PM
Thanks. So was the whole lot $1600 or just the remap?

TOTAL was $4650 inc GST. Pic is only showing ex GST

Clunk
13th November 2014, 02:53 PM
Which is green, which is red?....... As well as stupid, I'm colour blind ;)

megatexture
13th November 2014, 03:03 PM
When looking at it at it top to bottom its red, green, red, green

megatexture
13th November 2014, 03:11 PM
TOTAL was $4650 inc GST. Pic is only showing ex GST

No exhaust included in on that, you got that done already? Or previous owner

Clunk
13th November 2014, 03:28 PM

I was thinking it was the 2nd line

megatexture
13th November 2014, 03:31 PM
I was thinking it was the 2nd line

yea you might be right, strange they dont list it as an exhaust in stainless steel just s/s

nissannewby
13th November 2014, 03:40 PM
Not bad for 2hrs work either.

Paule
13th November 2014, 04:14 PM
Looks awesome, so where can us Victorians get this done, just the remap?

nissannewby
13th November 2014, 04:31 PM
Diesel tec might be able to offer you something although he may persuade you to look into a unichip.

threedogs
13th November 2014, 05:06 PM
ok ok 2trollfam Heard enough now get over on the happy thread,lol
$1600 for the re-map would this stop over boost probs with the ZD30
is this the MAGIC CURE

nissannewby
13th November 2014, 05:26 PM
ok ok 2trollfam Heard enough now get over on the happy thread,lol
$1600 for the re-map would this stop over boost probs with the ZD30
is this the MAGIC CURE

Hers is a crd but yes with the right re-map it can be sorted. Remapping has it's limits as well just like the plug in chips and can only allow so much adjustment and usually only to a few things dependant on the manufacturer has locked in.

The most benefit can be had from the appropriate uni chip.

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 06:25 PM

That's including the exhaust .... He was 100% stock standard except the bullbar

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 06:29 PM
ok ok 2trollfam Heard enough now get over on the happy thread,lol $1600 for the re-map would this stop over boost probs with the ZD30 is this the MAGIC CURE

I have no idea what you just said LOL Brad is on the hunt now for gauges for me so we can keep an eye on it

All I know and care about is he looks pretty and goes shyte loads faster (more balls) LOL

megatexture
13th November 2014, 06:38 PM
Cut and paste it in google translate.

They go fine till you put a trailer on and point it up a hill then they dies in the ass

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 07:17 PM
Cut and paste it in google translate. They go fine till you put a trailer on and point it up a hill then they dies in the ass

Putting the trailer on now and go for drive through the hills ;) will see how he goes

nissannewby
13th November 2014, 07:21 PM
I have no idea what you just said LOL Brad is on the hunt now for gauges for me so we can keep an eye on it

All I know and care about is he looks pretty and goes shyte loads faster (more balls) LOL

This all that matters. But yes as you know the gauges are a very good idea.

Rock Trol
13th November 2014, 07:38 PM
Great to hear it worked out so well 2TROLLFAM. Sounds like you are over the moon with it.
I won't have mine back until tomorrow as there was a problem fitting the exhaust. I had the middle muffler replaced with a hot dog a couple of years ago and they cut away some of the brackets as they were no longer needed. When they went to install the 3 inch zaust they could not secure it properly so they will get the parts or fabricate them tomorrow.
So one more anxious night waiting for my beastie to come home. :animierte-smilies-f

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 08:06 PM
Ok so I'm going for a run up the Toowoomba range over the weekend but for now we just went for a hoot to Minden via back roads which has a pretty steep, relatively short hill near Tallegalla cemetery - a hill that when I hit it at 100klms I used to be lucky to be doing 40 at the top with the trailer on. We doubled back and hit same hill from the Marburg turn off (so dead stopped at the bottom) and all he did was pull the sucker up and we were doing just over 80 by the time we got the top.

So all in all I'm STOKED !!!
Getting pizza in down town Rosewood now LOL then heading home

megatexture
13th November 2014, 08:28 PM
Will be interesting to see what the egt's are at the top doing 80k though

Rock Trol
13th November 2014, 08:32 PM
Did Roo Systems say what gains the engine made? Their web site says 35-40% and it certainly sounds like it from what you have said.
Do you have an auto by any chance?

nissannewby
13th November 2014, 08:32 PM
Will be interesting to see what the egt's are at the top doing 80k though

It got an intercooler upgrade as well. The ic coupled with the exhaust would have helped Egt's anyway. The crd's do run a little hotter exhaust has temps to start with but I would imagine they will be fine.

nissannewby
13th November 2014, 08:35 PM
Did Roo Systems say what gains the engine made? Their web site says 35-40% and it certainly sounds like it from what you have said.
Do you have an auto by any chance?

Do they claim 35-40% just from the remap or the package that has been put on this patrol (intercooler, exhaust and remap).

megatexture
13th November 2014, 08:38 PM
Last I saw it was like 35% chip and zorst only

mudnut
13th November 2014, 08:41 PM
It will be interesting to see how your fuel consumption goes.

Rock Trol
13th November 2014, 09:25 PM
I think the best part is that they can flatten out the torque curve by changing the fuel map so the car will pull stronger from down low. The guy tuning mine said that the factory leans out the fuel map at the bottom to pass the emissions test and protect the DMF and then add more to the top of the map.

It is interesting that other manufacturers increased power outputs on their diesels when they converted to Common Rail but Nissan just kept the same power outputs in the CRD as the Di. Why? Possibly to meet emissions? It really would be good to know what the engineers were thinking.

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 09:30 PM
Brad only had it at 3/4 throttle all the way up and it climbed with acceleration. yeah Brad will hopefully get the gauges soon to know what the EGT and Boost are doing.

Verbally they told me around 35% increase - had to fill out a questionnaire about what I use my car for to determine what tune they did. What I got was a mix of performance & towing capacity because my trailer is quite heavy when loaded but I probably only tow it half a dozen times a year at the moment. The idea, I was told, is to tune the car to suit my personal usage and the the current mods on it. The guys at Roo System gave us their recommendation of a safe level for EGT and boost which Brad asked for as he says if you don't have them how would you know what your engine is doing for good or bad. At the end of the day remapping is a technology based enhancement to my car and if I need to I'll get it retuned.

Fuel economy will be interesting - Thursday is payday and refill car day
And yes, it's an Auto

2TROLLFAM
13th November 2014, 09:31 PM
I think the best part is that they can flatten out the torque curve by changing the fuel map so the car will pull stronger from down low. The guy tuning mine said that the factory leans out the fuel map at the bottom to pass the emissions test and protect the DMF and then add more to the top of the map. It is interesting that other manufacturers increased power outputs on their diesels when they converted to Common Rail but Nissan just kept the same power outputs in the CRD as the Di. Why? Possibly to meet emissions? It really would be good to know what the engineers were thinking.

Brad said he agrees 100% with what you just said :)

poindexter
14th November 2014, 04:38 PM
this ECU remapping has me very interested.
can the ECU stop the egr valve from actuating? thus negating the need for the blanking plate.
also, why do the "chipped" ZD30s suffer so much when towing? is it the tune itself, or are there other shenanigans going on with chipping?

cheers

Rock Trol
14th November 2014, 06:01 PM
Hi poindexter. I was told by the people who remapped my Patrol that the ECU part that controls the EGR is locked down by Nissan and can't be altered so you are stuck with a EGR blanking plate. As for chips, I have never had one on my Patrol but I think that its a combination of the chip itself (how sophisticated it is), the setting its on, the weight of the camper/van and how the driver uses the power. So many factors involved its hard to make any generic claim about them. Even remaps, depending on the tune and how the driver uses the power etc could be harmful. But at least the ECU is aware of what is going on in the engine whereas with the chips they are usually downstream of the ECU and alter signals so any safety parameters in the program may be affected.

Rock Trol
14th November 2014, 06:12 PM
The Patrol is BACK! At first it did not seem very different as I already had an EGR blank, CC intercooler and had removed the centre muffler so it was breathing pretty freely. I then took off in 2nd (manual) and noticed how easy it was. Almost like a tall first. I can also change up a gear much lower in the rev range the torque curve is much flatter. Around town its much nicer to drive.

Took it on the freeway after work and that's when I noticed the problem. BOOST SPIKES in 4th and 5th gear! Bang Head
Scangauge indicated 22.6psi and I could hear the turbo rattle once it was over 20psi. Car did not feel that great either. At one point the ECU dragged the boost down to around 15psi and the car sounded much better. Since the EGR went in the boost had spiked to 19-20psi for short periods and then dropped to 15-17psi so it was never a problem. Now it tends to hold onto 22.6psi continuously until I back off.

Oh well. Looks like a Daws valve is on the way. Means I can't test with the camper on the back until the boost settles down. Don't want to push it too hard. Pro4x4 can set one up for me but are waiting for stock so might be another week or so.

Rock Trol
22nd November 2014, 09:32 PM
Finally got my hands on a HPD Dawes valve and fitted it today. Bypassed the solenoid so the Dawes controls everything. No more over boosting and the boost is linear. Car feels very good indeed. More power all round, but does not feel like a V8. Happy so far.
Not has a chance to tow yet, that will be next weekend.
I have not fitted a needle valve yet but the car does not seem to need one.

megatexture
22nd November 2014, 10:53 PM
Brad only had it at 3/4 throttle all the way up and it climbed with acceleration. yeah Brad will hopefully get the gauges soon to know what the EGT and Boost are doing.

Verbally they told me around 35% increase - had to fill out a questionnaire about what I use my car for to determine what tune they did. What I got was a mix of performance & towing capacity because my trailer is quite heavy when loaded but I probably only tow it half a dozen times a year at the moment. The idea, I was told, is to tune the car to suit my personal usage and the the current mods on it. The guys at Roo System gave us their recommendation of a safe level for EGT and boost which Brad asked for as he says if you don't have them how would you know what your engine is doing for good or bad. At the end of the day remapping is a technology based enhancement to my car and if I need to I'll get it retuned.

Fuel economy will be interesting - Thursday is payday and refill car day
And yes, it's an Auto

What recommendation did they say for the egt/ boost?

threedogs
23rd November 2014, 11:20 AM
this ECU remapping has me very interested.
can the ECU stop the egr valve from actuating? thus negating the need for the blanking plate.
also, why do the "chipped" ZD30s suffer so much when towing? is it the tune itself, or are there other shenanigans going on with chipping?

cheers
mine has a DP chip, boost is max at 20 psi I tow and have no problems whats so ever, it flys if a patrol can do that lol
fuel is 15 towing and 12 around town

Rock Trol
29th November 2014, 07:47 PM
Well, I finally towed the camper up the hill on the Sturt Highway and it certainly made a difference. Unlike other times when I had to go back to 3rd gear I was able to hold 4th gear going up the hill to the tunnel. I only had my foot down about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the way so was not flooring it. Just driving like I normally would. You could feel the difference, the amount of torque available. Was tempted to floor it but without an EGT gauge I did not want to push the car as it was mid 30's.

2TROLLFAM
4th December 2014, 11:02 PM
What recommendation did they say for the egt/ boost?

I'll have to find the email for you. Got guages today so hopefully he'll find time to put them in soon so will be able to keep an eye on it

Fuel economy is marginally better but we're still giving the poor boy stick that I wouldn't normally. Will have to calm my farm with driving before we could get a decent calculation .. Plus he went for nearly 2 weeks of not being driven while I was in & out of hospital .. Back on Monday for another op so there's another week of being parked

megatexture
4th December 2014, 11:44 PM
Cheers that would be good :smiley_thumbs_up:

Rock Trol
14th December 2014, 12:17 PM
The car does tow very well. Heaps of torque and doesn't drop revs. Towed my camper up the hill on the Sturt Highway in 4th gear all the way. Even though I was in the slow lane and lost momentum due to slower cars in the way I did not need to drop back. I was careful not to over do it as I still need to get an EGR gauge to monitor things.

The only drawback I discovered is that when I put the cruise control on the car starts to surge on and off. Was not towing at the time. Without the cruise control on its very smooth. Seems like the ECU can't make its mind up what it wants to do. It was very annoying. My car is a manual.

2TROLLFAM, have you used cruise control? How did you find it?

Rock Trol
21st December 2014, 11:26 PM
Just an update on fuel consumption. Drove from Adelaide to Melbourne and averaged about 12.8 litres/100km. This is about the same as I was getting before the remap & 3 inch exhaust.

Car has rhino platform, front & rear bars, winch, rock sliders and drawers so weighs around th 3 ton mark even when lightly loaded. I was hoping to get better economy but at least its not worse.