PDA

View Full Version : ARB front air locker

Nightjar
8th November 2014, 09:09 AM
Can't find any reference;
My mates ARB front diff lock does not disengage sometimes?
The compressor runs cuts out and holds pressure.
When the diff lock switch is turned off there is a puff of air released through the solenoid but the lock remains engaged?
Driving forward/reverse finally disengages it.
Any suggestions?

nissannewby
8th November 2014, 10:31 AM
Is there any oil in the line?

the evil twin
8th November 2014, 10:50 AM
Thats a strange problem and I agree with nissannewby in that it sounds like contamination in the line or similar.
You could try having a chat to ARB at Canning Vale before you start pulling the diff down.
They have always been very helpful whenever I have called in over the years.

Nightjar
8th November 2014, 12:37 PM
Airline is clear, releases air pressure and there is no sign of oil.

nissannewby
8th November 2014, 12:51 PM

Did you pull the line off at the diff? Could be leaking internally.

Nightjar
8th November 2014, 07:42 PM
The locker engages and holds air.
The problem is when the air is released the locker does not disengage.

nissannewby
8th November 2014, 08:33 PM
The locker engages and holds air.

Yes the problem was understood. Maybe you have misunderstood me. Oil can get into the line and the locker will still lock and function. However oil does not compress like air and could be preventing the locker from disengaging.

P4trol
9th November 2014, 12:56 AM
And just checking, you're driving in a straight line, and do the left/right steering manoeuvre just after flicking it off?

Nightjar
9th November 2014, 09:36 AM
When the diff lock switch is turned off there is a puff of air released through the solenoid but the lock remains engaged?

Thanks P4trol, Will mention your suggestion too him.

nipagu7
9th November 2014, 11:46 AM
have you tried disconnecting the air line between the valve and air locker after the switch is turned off to see if there is pressure there . i used to do a lot of work with pneumatics . one common problem we had was valves not releasing pressure when they were supposed to due to the grease used when the valves were assembled . it was too thick and sticky . we got into the habit of dismantling them , wiping out the grease and just useing a few drops of light lube oil ( not air line oil as it was still too sticky for the smaller valves ) and reassembling them before installing them . another idea i just had is that some solenoids are multi voltage and if not wired properly ( including running the correct sized wire , switches and good connections to ensure enough voltage and current is available ) have a hard time operating the valve properly .

Vinnie
15th November 2014, 01:11 AM
Try the big inner seal