PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Issue?

TazManiac
5th November 2014, 08:28 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if I have an issue here. I have taken the engine cover off for the first time tonight and found a fair amount of oil/grease in the front passenger side of the intercooler. I'm wondering if this is normal as well as the best way to clean the intercooler. How would I know if there is an issue with it?

Also, while I'm here, I was trying to take the MAF sensor off to give it a clean but my torx bits don't fit. The screws seem to need a torx bit with a hole in the middle. None of my torx screwdrivers have this hollow in the middle so I wasn't able to remove it. Can anyone tell me what i'm missing?

Thanks for the help guys.

Aaron

MEGOMONSTER
5th November 2014, 08:55 PM
Sort of looks like Stretch's intercooler when it was a goner, but I can't be sure.
Any other symptoms.

Have you checked out some of the other intercooler threads, you may find some answers there, if no one else replies.

2TROLLFAM
5th November 2014, 08:57 PM
Mine looks very similar ... The boys at work said its in its way out (mine that is) so airing on the side of caution and it's being replaced on Tuesday next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

4bye4
5th November 2014, 09:10 PM
What you have there is a security or tamper proof Torx screw. You have to get a special tool.
"A version known as Security Torx, Tamper-Resistant Torx (often shortened to Torx TR) or pin-in Torx contains a post in the center of the head that prevents a standard Torx driver (or a straight screwdriver) from being inserted."

cutanything
5th November 2014, 10:11 PM
you can buy these torx at supercheap $18 a set from memory . you also may need to look at install oil catch can this one is pricey but the best as it has internal filter to help slow air to catch oil propily also dip stick to check and screw off base like a oil filter

HPD NISSAN PATROL GU TD42 CATCH CAN
put in to search on ebay or google

megatexture
5th November 2014, 11:32 PM
You can use a small flathead screwdriver also, I replaced mine for Philips heads

the evil twin
6th November 2014, 01:50 AM
Your Intercooler is leaking.
They are a crap design in that the inlet and outlet plenums are crimped to the core and once they start leaking it gets worse and worse.

As suggested for the MAF sgrews nip down to supercrap or similar and purchase a set of security torx bits.
There are several parts on the ZD30 that use that type of fastener in differing sizes, MAF and belt tensioner to name two

2TROLLFAM
6th November 2014, 08:25 PM
Seamus is getting a HPD intercooler and catch can next week ..... Looking forward to not having to worry about when the old one will kick the bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

TazManiac
8th November 2014, 09:53 PM
So I took the intercooler off the patrol tonight to check it out. Was really surprised to see no black oil on the inside (like the crap on the outside). In fact it was almost spotless with just a slight film of clean oil, not even worth the effort to clean it out. I'm not sure why it looks the way it does on the outside and fine the on inside. Any thoughts?

TazManiac
8th November 2014, 10:02 PM
I managed to get a set of security torx bits and got the MAF sensor off yesterday. It was also spotless. I'm confused.

the evil twin
9th November 2014, 12:08 AM
I had a similar finding on my 07 CRD.
There was never enough oil residue in my intercooler to warrant a catch can.
I cleaned the intercooler at under 100,000 and again at 150,000 got bugger all crap out of it really.
The intercooler leak looks grotty because the residue attracts dirt and then bakes on there

I used to clean the MAF every 20,000 K's or so but it was never what one would call filthy.

The MAF is upstream of the engine ventilation and can only get oily from turbo surge so maybe the fact that my VNT was wound back a tad reduced the Turbo surge.
It is also turbo surge that puts the oily "ring" on the air filter cartridge

teach
7th December 2014, 11:53 PM
My intercooler looked like that (2010 CRD) and Nissan replaced it under warranty as it was leaking (about 2 months ago). I know they are rubbish but my thinking is that I will save my $$$ now and then buy a new one in 4-5 years when the warranty one craps itself. If yours under warranty, go in and get it replaced.