PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Shadow121111
3rd November 2014, 03:39 PM
Hi I pulled the sump off my GQ 2.8 today, too track down a low oil pressure problem.

My question is can I replace the bottom end and big end bearings while i have it open or do I need to wait for a full rebuild / is there a lot more that needs doing at the same time?

Thanks car runs well just takes ages to build oil pressure (10 secs) when first started
Thanks for your time
Steve

growler2058
3rd November 2014, 07:37 PM
Sorry I cant answer your Q. It is sometimes a gauge issue that the light takes a while to go off?

nissannewby
3rd November 2014, 07:41 PM
Hmm the big end bearings could be challenge but possibly doable. Mains will be possible as well.

Agronaught
3rd November 2014, 08:49 PM
I remember changing out the bigends on a tracker with the old man in the middle of a paddock. Definitely doable if you have the access. Then my old man was a master of invention, I only inherited a little of his natural ability.

Stropp
3rd November 2014, 10:33 PM
Oil pressure taking a long time to register may be more to do with what type or brand of oil filter you use. Most seem to think the ome Nissan filters are the best to use as they have less leak back than a lot of others, I would try genuine Nissan filters first prior to doing anything else.

Shadow121111
4th November 2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, I will look into getting replacement bearings for the bottom end, might leave the big ends alone though. Regarding oil and filters, I am using ryco filters as i've never had drama with them and penrite 20-50w (changed a few days ago). I will try changing to the oem filters but I am skeptical that would be the issue. It seems like the the pump is not working efficiently as at 700rpm the oil light comes on, if i turn the revs up to 1100rpm it builds pressure to 15psi, then if driven or revved up the pressure can go as high as 40psi but as soon as the revs drop the oil pressure goes with it. but 3 months ago it would be at 20psi at 700rpm and would vary with the revs all the way to 80psi depending in how warm the engine was and how fast you were going

threedogs
4th November 2014, 11:19 AM
Can you use those smaller filters, I used them
on my 350 chev 4x4 and they kept the pressure up ok

nissannewby
4th November 2014, 01:14 PM
Are you readings from a mechanical gauge?

Nightjar
9th November 2014, 10:29 PM
It seems like the the pump is not working efficiently as at 700rpm the oil light comes on, if i turn the revs up to 1100rpm it builds pressure to 15psi, then if driven or revved up the pressure can go as high as 40psi but as soon as the revs drop the oil pressure goes with it. but 3 months ago it would be at 20psi at 700rpm and would vary with the revs all the way to 80psi depending in how warm the engine was and how fast you were going

Why are you idling your engine at 700rpm?????