PDA

View Full Version : Speedo problem

dansuiaga
2nd November 2014, 05:24 PM
Hello mates.
I have a problem that needs a quick solution because I need to drive the car in Africa for a month starting with 1st of December.
I have a Y61 with a TD4.2 Turbo engine which was originally with an automatic transmission. I have changed the automatic gear box with a manual gear box from a Y60 with a TD 4.2 non turbo. I kept the dashboard display from the automatic patrol and wired the manual gear box to it. The tachometer seems to work fine even when going in reverse the R light is on and the bip sound works. The speedometer works but the speed is not the correct one. For example when I am driving 40 miles on the gps the speedo is showing 85 miles.
I thought that this might be because of the final gear ratio difference. The automatic TD 4.2 Turbo has a final gear ratio of 4,1 or 3,9 (I am not sure) and the manual gear box from the Y60 TD 4.2 non turbo I think comes with a final gear ratio of 3,9 (again I am not completely sure). The front and rear axles that are now on the car come from a Y61 2.8 TD which have a 4,625 ratio. My tires are now 285/75/r16. I want to go for 315/75/r16 anyway.
I don't think that this difference in speedo is given by the 4.625 ratio reduction from 3.9 or 4.1.
I also have a dashboard from a Y61 2.8 TD. Do you think this might fit to the 4.2 turbo wiring and solve the problem or not?

Here in Europe we are not very used the 4.2 liters Patrols so I am asking you guys for help.
thanks

dan

mudnut
2nd November 2014, 08:12 PM
G'day, dansiaga, and welcome to the forum. Is it possible for you to remove the speed sender from the auto box and fit it to the manual gear box?

dansuiaga
3rd November 2014, 12:10 AM
Hi,
I will try to see if it fits.